It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:25 am

Free Newsletter

Please Help Me

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Please Help Me

Postby Haylez » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:35 pm

i decided last night that today was gonna be the day. I was going to eat breakfast (something I don't normally do) eat a healthy lunch and a proper tea and I was going to drink nothing but water or cordial (full of sugar I know, but water makes me throw up).

So I woke up, I skipped breakfast, grabbed a can of coke on my way out, drank it on the bus, didn't eat until 3pm, which was mcdonalds ( a large double quarter pounder meal and 10 nuggets), then I came home and had chicken wings for tea at about 8pm. I drank another 2 cans of coke throughut the day and am yet to drink some water.

I do this all the time. I tell myself I'm gonna stop eating and drinking crap, I even do it when im standing in line waiting for the food, then the minute i finish eating it i feel depressed and guilty for eating it. This is a real addiction for me. People spend money on alcohol, smokes, gambling. I spend it all on junk food. I don't have a job and I don't get a lot from centrelink. I borrowed $100 off my mum (told her it was for uni) and spent the whole lot on takeaway in 5 days.

This can't keep going on. I can't say that I'm trying to lose weight because I fall off the wagon before I even start. I just can't seem to get my act together. I know I have to lose weight because I want to try out for the police force in 6 months, but I just can't get motivated to do it.

I don't get support from friends or family. My parents are fat and happy so they think i'm stupid for wanting to lose weight, my friends think I'm fine he way I am.

I am so lost and so depressed and with everything else that's going on in my life at the moment, I can't cope anymore. Please can someone help me?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3VWsLL/]
[/url]

% Body Fat
Start: 36.3%
Current: 35.4%
Goal: 27%

1st mini Goal: 80kg by christmas
Haylez

Postby Karnak » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:59 pm

I think right now you probably need some emotional support and encouragement. I'm not that great at that but so many people are so I'll leave that bit to them. If its any help your not alone, none of us here started off with great eating habits else we wouldn't be here.

Some advice :

PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN - dieting is hard work and takes organisation and preparation and not very often do we have the inclination to do that. Also remembering when I used to eat crap I would never have the energy to pre-prepare.

So - when you do have the inclination to do it, do as much as you can then, start off with basicm easy to prepare stuff and as yhou feel better and get more in the habit it'll get easier.

Breakie - Bag it up for days in advance. Grab a bag and put in a cup of healthy cereal you can eat by hand (I use weetbix Honey Crunch). Or buy a box of healthy breakfast bars. Ideally drink a glass of milk too but at the moment your eating nothing so anything with nutrients will help.

Snacks - again, little plastic bags filled with a handful of dried fruit (prepare days worth in 2 minutes), fresh fruit - bananas take a sec to "prepare", or a tub of yogurt

Lunch: Even a can of healthy canned soup, a tin of tuna and can of baked beans. A premixed salad from a supermarket.

Dinner: Go the prepacked if you have to, theres handy packs of frozen mixed vegetables that are single sized, microwave one of those in 2 minutes and tip over a can of salmon.

All of the above are cheapo options and are very quick and easy. Sure it would be better to have more fresh fruit and vegetables etc but with your current situation I think this would be stepping stone in the right direction and perhaps help with your energy levels to allow you to do more.

Just my two cents, good luck.

CW 116
SW 188
GW 75
Karnak

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi Haylez. Good on you for wanting to make a change to your lifestyle! You've definitely got the right idea of what to change, but if you're finding it hard to stick to it maybe it's just a case of changing too much too soon. It seems that your ideal day is very different from what you're currently doing so perhaps you should take it slowly to adjust your everyday habits. Start by having a healthy cereal for breakfast. Do this for a week and don't worry about the rest of the day. Then instead of Maccas maybe buy a Lean Cuisine microwave meal every second day. Do you cook much? If so, try a few more healthy recipes. Cook a bit extra and take it to work in a container the next day. If you don't cook now might be the time to start learning. Start simple and work your way up from there. You might find it easier to stick to your lifestyle change if you bring it in by degrees instead of making a huge change all at once.

The way I changed my habits was simply by adding veggies. Instead of having my normal meal I started having 50% of my plate covered in veg or salad, 25% carbohydrate and the remaining 25% protein and healthy fats. Just by making sure half my plate was covered in veggies I now crave vegetables with every meal. As Karnak has said are some excellent microwave in a bag frozen veggies available. If you can't give up your fast food straight away, maybe you should bring it home, microwave some veg and eat the veggies first before the junk food.

As to the coke, rather than going straight to water could you switch to diet coke? If you can't stand the taste maybe try a 50/50 mix until you get used to it. Or if you like the taste of lime I'd highly recommend Bickfords Diet Lime cordial. Cooling water in the fridge can make it more palatable, or add some sliced lemon or lime. Eventually there's a good chance you'll come to like the taste of water, but if it makes you feel ill don't force it. The more you hate your 'diet' the less likely you'll stick to it, in my opinion.

From looking at your schedule I'm not surprised you end up relying on fast food. You must be starving by 3.00pm! As Karnak said, if you plan your meals in advance you're not going to end up skipping them or choosing something bad for you. Make sure you make time to eat and you're less likely to binge later on.

My final piece of advice is that if you have limited choices available, just always be conscious of making the better choice. Is there a Subway near you? If you end up relying on fast food why not grab one of their low-fat options rather than Maccas.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby help6363 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:19 am

Big hugs!!!!! :D

I have been where you are and I just want to tell you what I did, it may or may not help you......

1. I joined Overeaters Annoymous. It's FREE and in the phonebook. I learnt strategies to stop overeating. It's a group meeting situation. They have groups 7 days a week.

2. Made a journal here. People here are supportive and lovely.

3. Once I learned about the strategies to stop overeating I started calorie counting and exercise.

Let us know how you are going, k?
help6363

Postby shelbel » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:59 am

Everyone has given you some great suggestions there and i just wanted to add a few things. Maybe you could set your alarm to remind you to eat. I know it sounds silly but if you eat regularly (every 2-3 hours) you wont get really, really hungry and are less likely to pig out on junk.

Also maybe you could try saying to yourself 'ok, i can have maccas if i eat regularly and healthy for a week' Then you could have a lean beef burger meal or something. That way your not cutting out something you love, and not denying yourself, you can have it, but you just have to earn it :D

I wish you the best luck and dont be a stranger because there is plenty of support and help on here.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby rivenriver » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:59 am

Go you for knowing you need to change!

I do the same thing - I say right, tomorrow's the day, then I don't do a thing right! Well, todays the day, so I'd better make the most of it!

I think everyone else's ideas a really good. I just wanna add a few I thought of.

You said money is tight. I find sometimes that can actually be helpful. I'm an on campus uni student during the year, and when I go to classes I always try and make sure I take no money with me. If I have no money, I can't spend it, and if I can't spend it, I can't buy crap. I have to walk back to college to eat. Maybe you could try that? Try taking no money with you, but do take something healthy to eat. That way, you can't choose the junk food, cos you have no way of buying it. You have to choose the healthy one. A step on from this, as you get good at it, you could start putting the money you save into a jar, and after a week or 2 weeks or whatever, take it out and buy yourself a present, like a new DVD or a necklace or something. Reward yourself.

Another one that has sort of already been said is trying to do everything all at once is too hard. It can't be done! So instead, try smaller things. Say right, this week, I am going to get a small quarter pounder meal rather than a large one. Don't do anything else, just try and do that for a whole week. Next week, say right, I'm going to get a small quarter pounder meal with diet coke instead of regular. Try and do that. Just make really little changes, and when you succeed, reward yourself, you deserve a prize! Small changes may feel like nothing, but it's incremental. Every small change paves the way for bigger changes. And a few small changes = a big change. Small changes are easier, you're less likely to fail, and less likely to give up. When I go to the vending machine, I try and only buy a drink, not a drink and a chocolate. Or when I have a milkshake, I try and get skim milk. Little things can make a difference.

Star charts are also good. It's strange how much a gold star can make you want to do something. Find a small goal, and at the end of the day, when you've managed it, give yourself a star. When you have enough stars, reward yourself.

Those are my thoughts at the moment. See how you go. You CAN do it, don't let yourself say that you can't (though sometimes it will seem that way!). Because you CAN.
rivenriver

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:03 pm

I found that putting my handbag in the boot of the car when I'm driving stops me from going through drive through maccas etc because it's too hard to get the money out. You could try that.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjK6k6m/]
[/url]
Jordan

Postby help6363 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Haylez :D
How are you going????
help6363

Postby chubbywife79 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi there, everyone here gave you some great advice. I'm just like you struggling to make changes. I don't work either due to health reasons and my husband is the main incomer so we basically living off him. I agree with the overeaters annoymous which I want to start going.
chubbywife79

Postby milkyway » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:58 pm

Great advice posted already.

I would add just make sure you're not trying to do too much at once -- ease into your healthy lifestyle. Cut out a can of coke and add a litre of water. Do that for a few days and then build up to 1.5 litres of water.

THen once you've got that down, try something else... like having a lean beef burger instead of a quarter pounder... then have a Maccas/junk free day.

You''ll get there.

Good luck!
Last edited by milkyway on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby electrongirl » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Jordan wrote:I found that putting my handbag in the boot of the car when I'm driving stops me from going through drive through maccas etc because it's too hard to get the money out. You could try that.

haha I do that by accident sometimes, and then freak out cause I think I have lost my bag!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby hysterical_oliver » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:43 pm

lol that's quite ingenious Jordan!!

Wish I'd thought of that years ago :oops:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Haylez » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:10 pm

Thank you guys. All of what you ahve said has helped a lot. So what I am going to do is limit myself to 1 soft drink a day, the rest water. When I go to fast food places I will get small meals, or if there is a healthier alternative I will go for that. So there's my starting point.

I will add more things as I go along, but as you all said, start small.

I will keep you all updated.
Haylez

Postby chubba momma » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Haylez, the advice given here is brilliant and well done on starting on small goals! Look forward to reading all about your progress!
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

journal

Postby Rachie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi,
try not to stress too much we all have days like that!
One thing i find works well for me is keeping a journal/diary of my food intake. Everyday i write down what i have eaten and then at say the end of the week i can reflect on what i have eaten.
Just an idea.
Goodluck and keep smiling :D
Rach
Rachie

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk