It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:18 am

Free Newsletter

Are you happy with the way you look?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Are you happy with the way you look?

Postby rivenriver » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Here's another question (I seem to be in with the questions today!):

Are you happy enough with the way you look right now? If you've lost weight, were you happy with the way you looked when you were at your biggest?

I ask because there seems to be this perception that overweight people must be unhappy with the way they look. They don't have a choice, and secretly they want to be thin. They're ugly.

Well, I for one am not ugly. Ok, you'll be hard pressed to get that out of me some days, I do have low self-esteem, but I'm still gonna have bad days if/when I am thin. Honestly, I like the way I look. I am happy with my look.

Now, that's not to say there's nothing I would change if I had the chance. I mean, I think I have a big nose, and I get a lot of pimples, and I don't tan well. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna get a nose job, wear a centimetre of makeup every day, and spend time in a solarium. I would look better thinner, but I look good anyway.

Of course, I am trying to loose weight. And although I look forward to looking different, that's not the major motivator for me. For me thin means I'm more likely to get cast, since acting roles for fat people are limited. It's about being able to shop for clothes more easily, and borrowing clothes off my friends. It's about being able to be as flexible as I can be, rather than hitting a fat-block. But it's not that much about looking 'better'. I like the way I look right now.

What about you? Is your weightloss effort cosmetically motivated? Do you look in the mirror and want to hide? Or are you happy with being a fat person, and want to loose weight for other reasons? It's okay to say it's cosmetic, too! Don't feel 'shallow' or anything, that's the world we live in! I just started thinking about iot and wanted to know. :)
rivenriver

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:43 pm

Good Question !!

At the moment, there is no way I am happy with the way I look. I got rolls in places I didnt think could get rolls :lol: - kidding

Although my weightloss isnt cosmetically motivated, it is at the back of my mind. There are days that I say, I wonder what it would be like to be at xxkgs ... I honestly can't wait to get there and see for myself, what it would look like :)

Self esteem is another thing, how can one who "believes they are ugly" have high self esteem ? I know there are days, months even years that i've lived and thought I was the ugliest person out there and was so depressed.

Having said that, Im pretty sure Im not the only one who's had this feeling :)

PS Man I love to ramble dont I ? hehe
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby electrongirl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm

I am so not happy with the way I look right now.

I mean seriously look at the difference!

Me now:

me at 65kg:

the thing that makes me feel so bad about myself as I am now is that I know I am pretty when I am thin. I feel so ugly how I am right now.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby GoddessInside » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:03 am

Oh Nikki, Im sorry that you feel that way :(

I will beg to differ though. I think you're just as beautiful now as you were at 65kgs :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby help6363 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:59 am

Nikki you are beautiful just the way you are :D

To answer the question, I HATE my looks! So often I am ashamed of how I look and I get nervous meeting new people cause I think that they will look at me and think, 'OMG how ugly is she!'

My weight loss is just to look better..... that's the only reason I do it. People call me vain when I tell them this!
help6363

Postby Misstoodles » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:16 am

There are things I wish I could change about how I look, and I'm doing everything I can right now to make the differences I want to see, but I know deep down that even once I've changed these things, I'm going to find things I'm still not happy about. Pretty much because I think most of it is psychological. BUT I'll deal with that when I get to it :)

Sorry if this sounds stupid to anyone or exagerated, but when I take pictures of myself, I often think 'I wish I looked like that girl'. It sounds ridiculous.. but it's like the girl in the pictures isn't me? I'm always conscious of how I appear to others, it's like I dont truely know how I look because the mirror and pictures are lying, so I'm always stressed about how I must look to others and I dont even realise.

Does anyone else feel like this?! Sometimes I think I'm going nuts.

I think its wonderful that you can feel happy about how you look, I've never known that, and I've come to terms with knowing that it's always going to be that way with me. It's good to know that not everyone feels like crud about their appearance :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby lng86 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:45 am

I've always been happy with my looks, as such. HOWEVER - I was never happy with my weight.

I think obesity is very tough... Because everyone else tends to judge you. It is something that can't be hidden! AND something that everyone has an opinion on.

Having said that, I always saw myself in the mirror as the weight I am now! I believe that (similar to anorexia) obesity has a lot to do with the mind as well.

I did not essentially lose weight to look better... But I want to fit into nice clothes... I don't want to be self conscious at the beach... I want to make love with the lights on... I want to love my body!

I will never look back and have any regrets. Being overweight has definitely been a positive thing... As I have learnt a lot about myself and am proud of the person I am.

HOWEVER - This is the first and last time I will ever lose weight... And I'm so excited for what the future holds.

As I said in my progress section, Saturday night was the first time I truly realised how much weight I had lost... And like many people on the forum have said,

'NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SLIM FEELS'
Last edited by lng86 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Haylez » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 am

I hate people who think that larger people must be unhappy. I know my step mum, she's about a size 18-20 she is completely healthy, eats healthy, but doesn't lose weight (she has a really slow metabolism), but she doesn't care. She's happy with how she is.

I'm semi happy with how I am. It's taken me 3 years to actually overcome the fact that I am larger and begin to be comfortable with myself. My ex (we were together for 5 years) knew me when I was really skinny and was with me when I got fatter and he keeps telling me that he finds me more sexy now than what I was when I was skinny, the only thing he wishes was that I was fitter.

This other guy that I was seeing for a few months after I broke up with my partner also said that he finds me really sexy. I guess I'm lucky to have had partners that like bigger, curvier women.

If it wasn't for me wanting to join the police or the military, I probably wouldn't care so much.

SKINNY DOES NOT MEAN HAPPY, LARGE DOES NOT MEAN UNHAPPY. If society stopped picking on larger women, it wouldn't be a problem.

Well there's my rant
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3VWsLL/]
[/url]

% Body Fat
Start: 36.3%
Current: 35.4%
Goal: 27%

1st mini Goal: 80kg by christmas
Haylez

Postby loveat116 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:02 am

I am actually VERY happy with the way I look now.

My whole life I have been unhappy, ever since I was 7 years old. I was never ever big or even overweight, I was a pretty skinny kid my whole life, although I had severe problems with self esteem and my body image (even in grade one, where the pretty skinny girls got all the attention from the teachers).

Compared to what I used to be like I am VERY happy. I am 57kg and fit! Its summer and my skin is going back to its usual browness and I feel thinner, even though the scale doesn't say so!

When im feeling down about myself (which isnt much lately), I write down a list of the things I actually like about myself. Like I love my back, my thighs, my stomach, my shoulders (not my traps, they're too big), I love my forearms and my hair!
And things I dont like I cant really change! Like my chunky ankles lol, and my inability to gain muscle lol!

I was at the pool on Sunday in my bikini and I actually felt so comfortable in the skin I am in!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby lng86 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:04 am

I completely agree with you!

It's tough... Because like I said - people firstly judge you on your looks AND everyone has an opinion on weight.

That is why I think weight loss is so hard... I compare losing weight to an onion - with each kilo lost, another layer is shed. Possibly leaving you more vulnerable... But you are facing your fears and becoming more comfortable in your own skin.

Does that make sense?!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby electrongirl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:12 am

I hate the fact that I can't fit into all my nice clothes.

That my husband can't pick me up like he used to.

That I am bigger than my husband.

I hate myself for allowing myself to get like this again.

I don't care what everyone else thinks of me, I think bad enough about myself!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby sassi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:31 am

lng86 wrote:I completely agree with you!

It's tough... Because like I said - people firstly judge you on your looks AND everyone has an opinion on weight.

That is why I think weight loss is so hard... I compare losing weight to an onion - with each kilo lost, another layer is shed. Possibly leaving you more vulnerable... But you are facing your fears and becoming more comfortable in your own skin.

Does that make sense?!
i think the onion analogy totally makes sense. and it's so true.

i keep trying to remember that losing weight will not necessarily mean liking myself or the way i look more, because there's way more to those things than what you weigh.

it depends on the day as to whether i'm happy with what i look like. i'm definitely not happy with my weight but there are days when i look beyond that and i'm happy with my overall appearance. i think i have great eyes & eyelashes so when i do feel a bit ick, i try and highlight them & that always helps! :oops:
sassi

Postby blueberries » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:31 am

I am happy with the way I look but I think I would be alot happier if I was slimmer...I want to lose weight for health reasons...I'm getting older and I'm carrying extra weight which is not good...I worry bout things like diabetes and heart disease and certain cancers are associated with weight..I also want to lose weight in order to buy fashionable clothes but health is my main concern at the moment
Start Weight-79.1kg
Current Weight - 69kg
Target Weight- 58kg
Height- 166cm
blueberries

Postby bferbear » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:58 am

I was not unhappy with my appearance until just the other week. I was oblivious to how big I have become and was unaware of how I looked. I didn't pay attention to the increase in the size of my clothes, I ignored the fact I was becoming out of breath performing simple tasks.

Melbourne Cup day was a big wake up call for me. I saw some photographs of the day and I was stunned by the pictures of myself. The people I was in the photos with were on average half to a third of my size. My face was bloated and I looked repulsive. When I looked into the mirror I genuinely didn't see the person who appeared in the pictures. It shocked me, and to some degree hurt me as well.

It is very easy to justify to yourself why you are doing certain things. It is very easy to ignore aspects of yourself that you are unhappy with, it is very easy to allow yourself to slip back into bad habits. What I saw in that photo scared the crap out of me. I will not allow myself to be seen like that again.

This is only my second day on this site, and my first week back at the gym, but I am committed to doing it properly this time, and as I said, the person in those photos will not be seen again.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Justjudy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 am

I am not overly happy with the way I look at the moment, but I am comfortable in my own skin, and if someone else judges me for being overweight, or dislikes me for being overweight then they are the ones missing out - not me! Life is too short to worry about the way you look, how you feel and what kind of person you are is far more important than how you look!

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk