It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 am

Free Newsletter

Are you happy with the way you look?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Sas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:56 am

I have happy days and sad days.

Like you Nikki I hate myself for letting it get this bad :( But like all of us we have made the decision to do something about it and make ourselves healthy.

We can do it!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:14 pm

I'm quite happy with the way I look. Now that I'm in my 30s I've finally got used to my features which, like most women, I hated when I was younger. My figure would look better if I lost 5-10kg, but I'm in proportion and I dress to hide any lumpy bits so I can't complain too much.

I went through a major style change at the start of the year, which has made me feel better about my looks. I find a nice haircut and some pretty clothes can do wonders for the self-esteem!

Postby scoots » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:42 pm

generally i don't see myself as ugly but i do see myself as fat.

I don't believe that being overweight makes people ugly, i do however believe that when i was thinner i was more attractive, even a little bit thinner.

i have many motivations for losing weight, health, to be abel to buy nicer clothes, to be able to wear a dress/skirt without my legs rubbing together!!! also to show my extended family that i'm not jsut the fat single one of the family.....i'm sure they don't all think like that but i'm also sure that at least some of them do, damn family dynamics :roll:

Postby Misstoodles » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Yeah it's amazing what we're supposed to be living up to. Im almost 18 and the two things I'm supposed to be doing is going to university and having a relationship. This isnt so much my immediate family's expectations but my god, EVERYONE else I'm related to seems to think it's how I should be living!

It doesnt make me ashamed of my life though, no one should feel pressured into other peoples ideals :)

happy with looks

Postby mimosa8 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:06 pm

I think it varies from day to day. But mostly no.

mostly though I am happy with my looks (face) its just this bod that lets the whole thing down. All I can see when I look in the mirror is the fat. I can also see the slimmer me underneath that fat. Its strange.

When you have been very slim before you have that strong image in your head about yourself. you feel attractive.. you think you are small but then when you see yourself you have a rude shock. Your world comes crashing down, you are just some average girl.
Its not nice to feel average. There are people and places I avoid since I gained this weight. Sad I know. I am sad..

I also found that people treated me differently when I was slim. They were nicer to me, men held open car doors, I felt like I got preferrential treatment. It was like a drug.

Even though I am not very overweight I feel that I am invisible definately effects self esteem.

I think to some extent we have been programmed by the media to look a certain way, we are bombarded with images all the time of slim glamorous women.

Its a strange thing because 50 years ago we were much more active than we are today. Obesity was rare many mums stayed at home and were housewives and cooked. They had more time to prepare and had to physically do things like hang out washing and walk to the corner shop. Not many people had cars. They might have eater more cals but they often did more exercise.

Unfortunately we live in a superficial society. where often we are weighed and judged in the first 10 seconds.
Being slim is almost a status symbol.

It shouldnt be like this. And it isnt for everyone. Some overweight people are not judged. I wonder why>?? Maybe it had got to do with their own confidence and how they feel about themselves that other people can subconsciously pick up about them.

Postby scoots » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 pm

When you have been very slim before you have that strong image in your head about yourself. you feel attractive.. you think you are small but then when you see yourself you have a rude shock

i have to say i agree with this statement, i feel a lot thinner than i actually am, mind you in my teenage years i was very unaware of my weight. other than the odd fat day that we all have i generally feel probably about what i did around the 85-90kg mark, which can be a rather rude whock when you look in the mirror, and i also think a contributing factor to some of my problems with losing weight in the past, hopefully now that i am more aware of it (this awareness has only really come in the last few months) i won't fall victim to it!!!

hopefully that wasn't too far off track from the original topic, i had to stop halfway through typing and do something else so i've forgotten what the original topic was :roll:

Re: happy with looks

Postby bferbear » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:34 pm

mimosa8 wrote:When you have been very slim before you have that strong image in your head about yourself. you feel attractive.. you think you are small but then when you see yourself you have a rude shock.

That sums it up in one. Well said. I still saw myself as the superfit footballing type I was 10 years ago. I was stunned to realise I was more Arthur Beetson than Sonny Bill Williams.

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:10 pm

I feel the same as scoots~

I don't think I'm ugly, I think I'm fat and in all honesty I am :roll:

I can't even imagine what I'd look like skinny, if I'd be prettier or anything, you can't miss what you've never had :lol:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg

Postby sunshine » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:16 pm

I think my problem is that I am living too much in the past. I am only 5'2 and have always been little, slim and light. In my younger days (I am now 40) I could eat what ever I liked and always stayed slim.

So age, and having 3 kids in quick succession have really aged me and my appearance has suffered. Because we have been trying for another baby for close to 2 yrs I have really not bothered about the weight I have put on, and I now look in the mirror and really know that I have suffered the consequences. I was always one to be able to, say walk into a club and the guys would look at me (pls don't think that sounds snobby), but now because I am older and with a few more lines on my face and wobbly bits :D that wouldn't happen right now. So partly my thing is from age, childbirth and just general wear and tear.

I find it hard to stop living in the past and accepting that I am getting older and don't look as young as I did before. But with my fitness routine going now, if I can get fit and healthy, I really think that will make a big difference. Everyone gets older, at some point :D Best wishes to you all.

Postby dannyboi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm

I can't say I'm happy at how I look now. I'd rather be out of photos than in them, so that gives you an idea.
Even at my 'best' level a few years back, I still wasn't really happy with it.

IF I do manage to get down to my goal, and manage to fit in all of my old clothes then that would actually make me happier. I have a history of weight-related illness in my family so that's a big motivation for me.
- danny

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:43 pm

That's a really good question, I like how I look if in that moment I'm looking at my tattoos (I love them), but when it comes to me, I don't like how my body looks, I don't have any problem with my face, the problem is my body

Return to Weight loss Talk