It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Free Newsletter

Should i lose more weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Do I need to lose more weight

Total votes : 13

Should i lose more weight?

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:19 am

I had an assessment at the gym last week and my personal trainer says i need to lose another 5 kg of pure fat which means i've still got a wee bit of weight to lose. The thing is I'm already at my goal weight and am pretty happy with how I'm looking all I really want to do is tone my tummy (you don't really have to lose weight to do that do you?). I'm 55.2kg and 157cm tall

I'm not sure what to do....any advice...pleeeease

Postby help6363 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am

It's YOUR body, you do what you want. How dare someone tell you what to do with YOUR body. :twisted:

I use a medicine ball (7kg) when doing sit's given me great results.

IMO, I would include weight training as well as cardio if you are not already doing weight training. It will not make you bulk up...... it has made me look leaner.

I had a personal trainer tell me to aim for 11% body fat. I did not realise that was unhealthy until someone here (think it was Em) told me that's not healthy.

At the end of the day, if you are happy with you....that's all that matters!

Postby lng86 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:34 am

YOU choose what is right for YOU!!!

If you are happy - just tone up. PT are not meant to comment on you (whether good or bad)... They are only meant to encourage and help.

Congratulations on being at your goal!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Postby electrongirl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:11 am

I agree, we can't make that decision for you!

and I think its really rude and pushy of your PT to suggest it.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Haylez » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:47 am

I would have slapped him. If you're happy with how you are, don't let anyone push you to go any further. If all you want to do is tone up, do that. That doesn't require more weight loss.

In the end it's your decision, don't let anyone else decide for you.

Good luck

% Body Fat
Start: 36.3%
Current: 35.4%
Goal: 27%

1st mini Goal: 80kg by christmas

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:04 pm

It's possible that the personal trainer's advice was legitimate depending on what percentage of body fat you have. Even very thin people can have high levels of body fat and if that fat gathers in dangerous places (around the organs instead of on the hips and bum) then it can be a health concern.

If I were you I'd ask why they think you need to lose exactly 5kg of pure fat. If it's purely for aesthetic reasons you can tell them that you're very happy thank-you-very-much and tell them you just want to keep fit and tone your tummy. Then they can tailor a training regime accordingly. If, however, their advice is for health reasons then I'd recommend looking for a second opinion to make sure they're not aiming for too low a percentage of body fat. Then you can make an informed decision of whether or not to lose any more fat.

Good luck!

Postby SarahC » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:11 pm

If you are happy then that's all that counts :D

Postby Sas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:14 pm

I agree with the others that if you are happy then that is all that counts.

I also agree with wombatqueen that you should ask if your PT is only recommending this for aesthetic reasons or for legitimate health reason's.

If it is for aesthetic reasons then I would tell them to stick it and that you are happy.

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:58 pm

Maybe your pt means build more muscle. Theoretically muscle uses more energy to maintain so if you build muscle the fat should work itself out and tighten your tummy too. So yeah, not necessarily lose fat but build muscle might be the way to think about it but the bottom line is you're the one who has to live in your body, if you're happy great!!!
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks for your replies

I think my pt did mean for me to gain muscle as well as lose a bit of fat. She did say I wouldn't neccessarily need to lose 5 kg though. My body fat percentage is 35% :oops: . But does anyone know if that takes into account loose skin (I've had 1 child, i started losing weight when i was 81kg).

I may lose a little more weight, but if i do not much as i have said i am pretty happy. I did feel real down after i found out how little body fat i'd lost after losing 3kg :roll: but i know i could go to the gym more often as I only go about once or twicw a week at the moment ( my excuses are wanting to spend more time with my husband, tiredness and not enough time...maybe not the best excuses)

Return to Weight loss Talk