It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Free Newsletter

It's not working! :(

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

It's not working! :(

Postby rivenriver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 am

It's just not happening right now!!!

Every day I weigh myself (I KNOW that's too often, and I DON'T care), and every day I've put on weight!!! I'm currently 110.8 - I haven't weighed that much since the middle of October, and I didn't even get that big during exams, or my birthday!!!

Ever since I've come home from uni, I've barely lost a thing, and more often I put on! I don't know why!!!!!!!! I'm eating less than I used to, and using the treadmill occasionally. But I'm eating more than I did at uni, and I'm not walking anywhere. Not to classes, not into the city. No bike rides. It's too hilly for bike rides, and where would I walk to, that tree over there? I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!!! That's if I could brave the flies. And every day it's so hot, and I think - one more day, and the dam will be warm enough to swim in - and then it RAINS!!! Which I shouldn't complain about because we need rain, and it'll keep the fires from starting, but it means the water gets cold again and I have to wait days for it to heat up again! So I can't swim! So I can't do ANYTHING active. So I keep putting on WEIGHT.

I even try little things. I just finished my weetbix challenge - I stopped eating big bowls of chocolate breakfast cereal for breakfast and ate just 2 weetbix every day for a week. DID IT HELP??? NO!!!!!! If anything, I'm currently putting on more weight than I did when I was eating the choco pillows!

I just SUCK! I totally SUCK! My body won't do what I tell it to!!! It's stupid!!!!

end stupid rant. sorry.

Postby Siana-leah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 am

hello riven
wow you sound very pretty sure all of us has felt that way at some point.
Im not sure why your weight is going up but i hope this helps.

look closely at what you're eating...i found that i wasnt losing weight because of the few extra biscuits i was eating every day.
im not sure what you are eating each day but the calorie requirements for someone trying to lose 20+kgs is about 1750 or 7325kJ.
to get an indication of what you are eating each day i suggest you go to you can list all the foods you're eating and it tallies it up for you. I found it very useful.

The exercise is important...if you're not keen on walking outside in the hot weather...then you have to use your home as a gym or if possible join one (if there is one near you).
At the moment i do exercise videos....(but make sure you have a variety or you will get bored)....i wish i had a treamill....if you can move the treadmill in front of the TV...when an ad break comes on jump on or just walk through the whole show. Or put the treadmill facing a window.

I hope this helps....i understand your frustration...there was a point where i thought to myself that i was never going to lose weight...and after thinking that i ate so much chocolate i was almost sick. I find though that its usually the small things that are stopping you from losing weight.

Good luck... :)

Postby Mandie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Marti.. come on, pull yourself out of this!

You CAN do this.. you KNOW you can. You've already done so well!

I know it's easy to make excuses - it's too hot, there's nowhere to walk to - put on some music in your bedroom and dance around in there! I used to do loads of exercises in my bedroom - squats, lunges, even jogging on the spot.. look around the net, you'll find heaps, or just ask us for suggestions :)

You gotta do it Marti! Continue with the weetbix. Maybe look at your calories and see where else you can make improvements in your diet?

But ya gotta get active.. that's the BEST way. You can do it indoors or out, just do SOMETHING - remember that lady who lost weight by walking around her clothesline? you CAN do it , if you want to!

Postby okuden » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:41 pm

Inspiration Quotes:
The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!

Blessings :D

You need a plan

Postby paulduncan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 am

Hi Riven.

The first thing you need to do is relax and stop worrying.
Forget everything you have tried and if it hasn't worked in the past then you're wasting your time worrying about it.

Give yourself a few days not constantly thinking of failure.
You need a new plan.Figure out how many calories you are eating on a daily basis.Also how often you are eating throughout the day.
You need to write this info down.It's a base that you are going to start from.
Then start to write what changes you are going to start making in your diet.

I want you to also think that you may not be eating often enough.
One of the major reasons people fail to lose weight is because they fall into the trap of believing the hype about weight loss.
The truth is that it is your metabolism that controls how many calories you burn.If your metabolism doesn't get calories on a regular basis it will think you are starving and slow down the burning process drastically.It doesn't care that you want to lose weight,it can't see you.Many fad diets make ridiculous claims about losing 30 pounds in a month.This is not only dangerous,it will get to the point where your metabolism will grind to a halt.

Just think about it:to lose 1 pound you would have to cut back on 3500 calories.To lose 30 pounds in a month you would have to get rid of more than 25000 calories a week to lose 30 pounds in a month.

Try to work towards losing between 2-3 pounds a week this would mean losing 7000-8000 calories a week.That is still to high to just cut out from your diet,so you would have to get rid of it through exercise.

If its too hot to exercise get up earlier in the morning when its cooler,it may also be more beneficial to exercise at this hour because your body will not have any food in it for fuel,so it will be forced to use stored fat as energy.Make sure you drink plenty of water though.

You should be eating something every 4 hours or so.It doesn't have to be large meals,bits of fruit,yoghurt,sandwich etc. when you are feeding your body in this way your metbolism speeds up becuse it knows its getting regular calories.

Write everything you are going to do in a book on a daily basis,this makes it real,something to follow instead of just a vague plan in your head.

Keep in mind that thousands of people manage to lose weight successfully,so why not you? are they better than you? The answer is no! They just have better information and do things differently.You can learn to be the same.

Don't lose heart,the longer you do this the better you will get at it.

Return to Weight loss Talk