It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 pm

Free Newsletter

just a query??????

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

just a query??????

Postby scoots » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:38 pm

ok, i'm sure that this subject has been bought up probably a million times before, but i'm gonna ask again.

Ok, currently i am just eating better and trying to stick to a generally low fat, low calorie type of eating pattern (i don't think of it as a diet, hence i didn't use that word :wink: ).

Anyway i was having a look at the calorie king website yesterday, partly coz i was a bit bored at work, but also coz i've been thinking about calorie counting. anyways, i'm sure that i will start doing this at sometime, but i was wanting to get peoples thoughts about when i should start, should it be now, should i wait till i start to plateau a bit, or something else, i don't want to ruin the new better habits i am developing (only been 2 and half weeks ish) but i do want to keep losing weight and continue the development of good eatingn habits.....

so any thoughts would be appreciated :D
scoots

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:56 pm

I find the CalorieKing.com.au website really good. I was already eating healthily and losing a bit of weight, but now I'm losing a lot more with the help of CalorieKing. I joined as soon as I read about it on the forums and haven't looked back! It doesn't destroy the good habits you've acquired (I still divide my plate into half veggies, a quarter protein and a quarter carbs), it just helps you monitor those habits.

If you're curious about counting calories it could be a really good thing to join. Just give it a go for a few days. That way you get a feel for how many calories everything you eat is worth and how many calories you burn with your usual exercise. That could help you make better decisions even if you decide not to continue with the website.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Re: just a query??????

Postby help6363 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:33 pm

scoots wrote:ok, i'm sure that this subject has been bought up probably a million times before, but i'm gonna ask again.

Ok, currently i am just eating better and trying to stick to a generally low fat, low calorie type of eating pattern (i don't think of it as a diet, hence i didn't use that word :wink: ).

Anyway i was having a look at the calorie king website yesterday, partly coz i was a bit bored at work, but also coz i've been thinking about calorie counting. anyways, i'm sure that i will start doing this at sometime, but i was wanting to get peoples thoughts about when i should start, should it be now, should i wait till i start to plateau a bit, or something else, i don't want to ruin the new better habits i am developing (only been 2 and half weeks ish) but i do want to keep losing weight and continue the development of good eatingn habits.....

so any thoughts would be appreciated :D

I say start it when you want to. I like calorie counting because I treat it like a spending budget and know that I cannot go over...make sense?

Spark People is a free site and has lots of information about calorie counting.

I have used calorie counting to lose weight. Here's a rough guide for women to lose weight.......

WOMEN

Need to lose less than 6kgs
1,250 calories (35grams of fat)

Need to lose 6 -20 kgs
1,500 calories (42g of fat)

Need to lose more than 20kg
1,750 calories (49g of fat)

I like calorie counting cause it's free and I got the number of calories in foods from the web for free. KJs are written on packets sometimes instead of calories, to work out the calories divide by 4.19

SORRY IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS! :D

Good luck and let us know how you are going :D
help6363

Postby Siana-leah » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:28 pm

hey scoots
im pretty much taking the same approach...healthy eating (not a diet) and am using calorieking.
I use it mainly to keep track of myself....to make sure the foods im chosing to eat arent packed full of nasties.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby yoyogirl88 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Calorie King is great. I have just started this week and it is very helpful because I am learning portion control and how not to binge by just sticking to my calories per day.

Good Luck!!! =D
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby rivenriver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 am

What about combing the two? Stick to your current plan, and use calorie king as well, to monitor it. Then you get the best of both worlds. :)
rivenriver

Postby Ally » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:21 am

That is a good idea!! Best of both worlds...can;t beat that!!! :wink:

I was going to suggest that if what you are doing is working for you and you are happy with the results, stick to it until, as you said, you may plateau, then use CK.....(but rivenriver's idea is better :P )
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby scoots » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:09 am

thanks for all the advice guys, i've decided to officially start the calorie counting at my first weigh in of the new year (the first Thursday of the new year).

I have looked up what my daily cals should be and am sticking very roughly to that as much as i can this time of the year, but figure that starting to count calories more strictly this time of the year is just setting myself up for failure!!!
scoots

Return to Weight loss Talk