It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:52 am

Free Newsletter

Do you think this is a good idea

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think this is a good idea

Postby JL77 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Ok so to be honest tonight I am feeling quiet down about life in general, and I been thinking about alot of stuff. And of course one was my weight.

Seeming I didnt achieve anything apart from getting a awsome job which I just started, I thought I would make arrangemnets now to achieve some things next year, my weight is one of those things.

For years I have tried dieting etc and each time I have failed, I dont know what the problem is. Do I set to high of standard for myself or do I just have no self control, I dont know the answer to that :oops:

I made little goals for myself but do you think it would be a good idea to scrap those goals and take one day at a time and just generally work for one goal???
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:50 pm

You have to find what works for you. What you've been doing in the past obviously hasn't been quite right so you may as well try the other way, nothing to lose except the weight right :D

Myself, I have one big goal but it's so far away that I need to have little mini goals that I work towards. I never get down about not meeting them in a set time frame because I look back and see how far I've come in such a short period. I've never done so well before.

My biggest obstacle was myself, I was never able to stick to anything until I decided I was going to do it for me no matter what anyone else thought :D
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Misstoodles » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:10 am

I find just working towards the one goal so daunting. When I got to my heaviest and thought about losing weight, it scared the crap out of me that it was around 42-44kg that I had to lose.

Personally It seemed alot more achievable for me to make goals unrelated to my actual weight, but more to do with a healthier lifestyle. Like walking every day as soon as I wake up, and eating better. After a couple of weeks I realised I'd already lost about 6 kilo so I knew I could lose another 5 just as easily.

At the point I'm at now, losing another 21kg doesnt seem quite so hard to achieve.

Really though for me it is a matter of taking it day by day, and not putting too much of a time-limit on my minigoals. Then I just congratulate myself when I've reached the next goal, whenever that occurs.

Perhaps the idea of having expectations of yourself and time limits on goals kinda stresses you out a bit? :S I know it does for me.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Re: Do you think this is a good idea

Postby help6363 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:14 am

JL77 wrote:Ok so to be honest tonight I am feeling quiet down about life in general, and I been thinking about alot of stuff. And of course one was my weight.

Seeming I didnt achieve anything apart from getting a awsome job which I just started, I thought I would make arrangemnets now to achieve some things next year, my weight is one of those things.

For years I have tried dieting etc and each time I have failed, I dont know what the problem is. Do I set to high of standard for myself or do I just have no self control, I dont know the answer to that :oops:

I made little goals for myself but do you think it would be a good idea to scrap those goals and take one day at a time and just generally work for one goal???

Oh, big hugs sweetie!

Just find an approach that works for you. I was like that until I found calorie counting.

We never fail, if we never give up! :D

Hang in there, I know you WILL do this!

Oh, what happens do you just stop your weight loss attempt? Do you know why? Sorry about the questions!
help6363

Postby Sas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:11 am

Aww hun. *hugs* We all have times like this where you just feel like it is all too daunting.

For me I haven't really set any little goals but have just got the end goal of getting back to where I was before I injured myslef last year. I try and take it a week at a time. I plan out my whole week food wise and exercise wise at the start of the week so I know what I'm doing. I find having a plan helps keep me on track.

Some weeks I have gains (like this one :roll: ) but I try not to let it get me down cause it is the end goal that matters. Also, I'm finding that weight may not be the best measure for me. I also do body measurements to really see if I am getting changes so maybe this is something you can look at doing?

I suppose ultimately you need to find a way that suits you. I'm sure you can do it. Sounds like this year has been a tough one for you but you have made changes like getting an awesome job. Next year is a whole new year so try and start on a positive note hun and just put this year behind you.

You can do this. You are a strong person and I'm sure you will find a way that you can get to your end goal. Good luck! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby SarahC » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:36 am

Firstly... nothing wrong with having a high standard for yourself!! Just make sure your goals are achievable when you set them. You have to set up a game you can actually win. Then, once you've had one, two, three small wins, your confidence will increase and you'll start setting, and achieving, bigger and bigger goals. So, you might have in mind what you want to achieve for the year... break it down into small things you can do every day to get there :)
SarahC

Postby Siana-leah » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:52 am

ive been there countless times...and can actually remember saying to myself that i dont care...ill just be fat forever.....but i know thats not what i want.....
i find that it is actually easier not to focus on a particular date to be for example 5kg lighter.....take it one day at a time....if u splurge on one day....pick up and keep going....that day! not the next day or just forget it......remember we have to learn to love ourselves and forgive our mistakes.....
sounds loopy i know but thats why a lot of us stay overweight.....we cant accept ourselves as we are.....
im still working on it myself....but we will be here to support you.
:D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby bferbear » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 pm

It is about a mindset adjustment. I have every confidence that this time I can lose the weight and keep it off because for the first time I actually WANT to change the little things that were at the root of the weight gain. Whilst I didn't like the results of the lifestyle I was leading as far as my weight and health were concerned, I didn't want to stop the party lifestyle that was causing it all. Now I do.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby JL77 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:33 am

Well I have decided to not get to a actual weight. I want to get to the lows 70's for now and then I will work it out there.

I will do excerise at least 4 times a week and build it up from there. I will do at least 30 min per session

With food I will continue eating grain foods like multigrain bread and not white bread, I will stop snacking on crap and eat more fruit and vegies and I think I should be right then.

I think my problem is I set my standard to high and when I stuff up I continue for weeks on end. So if I have the trying to lose weight and taking it easy it may help me to sucessed. Bring on next year. So over this one !!!!!
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby Bron M » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:36 am

have been there before as well, its about remebering that if you had a bad day, that it was just that a bad day, it does not have to turn into a week or a month. It's about reminding yourself that tomorrow is another day to suceed, not throw in the towel for one bad moment.
Best of luck on the small goals.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi1msKf/]
[/url]
Bron M

Postby Haylez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Find what works for you. I know for me having a goal by a certain time (like my 80kg for christmas) makes me work for it harder then when i reach my goal I feel really good and want to keep going.

I find that if i just say I want to lose 16kg and have no set date, I tend to have teh whole "I'll do it tomorrow" attitude.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3VWsLL/]
[/url]

% Body Fat
Start: 36.3%
Current: 35.4%
Goal: 27%

1st mini Goal: 80kg by christmas
Haylez

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:42 pm

Keep trying new things until you find something that sticks.

I tried many methods before. I was with Weight Watchers and thought I could continue on my own when I could no longer afford to attend the meetings. Unfortunately I just couldn't stick to it. So I tried food combining, lost a few kilos then lost interest. I tried cutting out carbs after 3pm. I tried snacking only on fruit or veg. I even tried cutting out alcohol (*gasp*). I tried setting small goals such as drinking 8 glasses of water per day and doing 30 minutes aerobic exercise, but I always found excuses for why I stuffed up.

I didn't stuff up because I had no will-power. Hell, I've had a vegan diet for over ten years. If that isn't proof of will-power I don't know what is! I didn't stuff up because the particular plans were faulty. Plenty of people have lost weight on those diets before. I stuffed up because my methods didn't suit my temperament, lifestyle or fit in with what I enjoyed.

Now I'm doing calorie counting using CalorieKing.com.au, I'm filling my plate with over half veggies and salad at lunch and dinner (leaving less room for starchy carbs and fat) and I've increased my exercise. This is working for me so far, and it means I can keep my evening glass of wine while knowing that I've made allowances for it in my eating plan. All of this works with my lifestyle, allows me to keep my necessary vices, and relies on things I enjoy to keep the weight loss coming (I love veggies, salad, walking and running).

Have a look at your lifestyle and see what goals you would enjoy meeting. If you enjoy walking, set aside an hour for a brisk walk through the park in the evening. If you like veggies, aim to fill 50% of your plate with different vegetables every meal. If you like what you're doing you are far more likely to stick to it, and that's what will result in successful long term weight loss.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk