It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:24 am

Free Newsletter

Two Simple Questions For Anyone With Even Relative Knowledge

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Two Simple Questions For Anyone With Even Relative Knowledge

Postby JMav » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Hey guys,

A little bit about me right now, I'm 18 years old, about 5'11 and weigh around 250 lbs. I'm trying to lose approximately 80 pounds and with school, a job, and other things going on I'm going to try my best. And despite it being the worst season (winter) I'm not going to procrastinate anymore and I need help with two things.

1) In terms of working out, I pretty much know what I'm going to do. I'm going to do a lot of cardio (meaning a lot of running) and I'm going to push myself everyday, even if it's running in the snow. The question I have may sound sort of weird but through my accumulated weight I've managed to get a very round face, I guess it's typical of overweight people, but my question is how much fat on my face would be gone...will ANY of it stay?

I was born with a somewhat lean face, I could see it in my pictures as a kid, is it possible to get that back? Are there any exercises that could help burn that fat of the body off as it burns the fat everywhere else...is running the answer?

and my second question

2) I'm sort of sick of the diet fads and the confusing things regarding carbs, calories, fats. I'm also not the kind of person that's able to prepare my own meals, cooking them in certain oils, etc...I feel it's too much of a hassel.

And maybe someone here could help me, but I'm sort of looking for the 101 on what to eat and how much? I'm going to make a trip to the grocery store, help me out...what should I buy? What could I eat without gaining all the weight?

I mean, I know healthy foods like fruits and vegetables are good...but I can't just eat them all day, wouldn't that be unhealthy too? What kind of stuff should I look for when I buy? Should it be oatmeal for breakfast everyday or am I taking it too far?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the replies
JMav

Postby Misstoodles » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Alrighty firstly, spot reduction isn't possible. Your body decides where it wants its' fat stores, and weight loss is pretty much all over. So generally the only way you'll find out how much weight your face will lose - is by focusing on losing fat. Period.

The best advise I could give you is to continue on getting answers through google. The more you learn about how the body works, the more realistic your expectations will become. Plus it really helps knowing how something works in order to get it to do what you want.

Fat loss by means of exercise - Walking briskly is better for burning fat than running, as running uses the carbohydrates you intake during the day, whereas fat is a fuel stored for endurance activies.

There is no simple, quick means of fat loss. Eating healthily, getting a decent amount of exercise and drinking plenty of water is key to losing fat.

Dinner is ready so I cant put everything in one post, but if you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Megan.

PS - It's nice to have someone else on the board around my age! :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby rivenriver » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:03 am

The way to loose weight from your face is to loose weight from all over. As Misstoodles said, spot reduction is not possible - your body put on weight all over, and it looses weight all over. People are different as to where they loose weight from first, you can't tell, but eventually, you will loose it from your face.

Okay, as far as diet, the best thing is to understand how your body works, why it puts on and looses weight. Once you know that, you can work out how to get it to do what you want it to.

The human body is made up of cells. Cells are alive (well, most of them), and each perform a different task. When all of them are put together, it makes a human body. The work that cells do is loosely called metabolism. Metabolism is the process by which a cell takes up energy and uses that energy to do its work. All living cells require energy to do what they do. Some also require extra substrates to make things out of.

Even if you just sit and do nothing all day, you cells need energy to do things like breathe and keep your heart beating. But of course, if you move around a lot, they need even more energy. If you do something like running, your cells have to work really hard, and they need a lot more energy than they would use if you were just sitting still. They can get that energy from 2 places - food, or fat stores.

In optimum conditions, a person would eat exactly the amount of food that their body was going to use for the day, exactly the right amount of energy. But some days we are more energetic than other days, and some not. Also, some days there will be a lot to eat, some days there won't be. If you're okay with the concept of evolution, you can think about it in terms of primitive humans. (If not, think about ancient humans, and substitute the word evolved for God designed it.) Maybe one day, the tribe makes a kill, and there's piles of food for all. You can eat until you're stuffed. The next day though, no kill is made, and everyone has to go without. But since your body needs energy every day, how does it cope with this day without food?

What happens is that the body uses the energy it needs to, and if it has anything left over, it stores it as fat. This way, when it doesn't have enough food to sustain itself over a day, it can delve into the fat stores it has made, and get its energy out of there. Rather than 'burning' food for energy, it 'burns' fat. In this way, early/ancient humans could survive periods with lots of food and not much food at all.

So what's happened now, as technologies and society have changed, is that suddenly over the last hundred years, we've managed to get access to food whenever we want it. There's no need to save it for later, we can eat it now and go buy more if we need to. That makes the reflex that we have, to store extra food just in case, pretty redundant. But it doesn't stop it from being there. Which means that suddenly a lot of people have eaten more than they've used. Which means people are overweight.

So what you need to do to loose weight is actually very simple. You've got to eat a bit less than your body really needs, so that it goes to it's fat stores and uses that instead.

There are a few ways you can do it. You can use a counting system, like calories or weight watchers. You can just guess. You can eat whatever you like, but work out a whole lot so your body needs more energy than normal. The choice is yours. You've gotta experiment to work out what works for you, but all weight loss is based on that same principal - consume less energy than you need.

I hope that was helpful! Sorry about the long-winded-ness!!!
rivenriver

Postby lng86 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:45 am

Couldn't have said it better myself :wink:
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby JMav » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:03 am

Thank you all for your replies, your post was especially motivating Megan.

rivenriver wrote:The way to loose weight from your face is to loose weight from all over. As Misstoodles said, spot reduction is not possible - your body put on weight all over, and it looses weight all over. People are different as to where they loose weight from first, you can't tell, but eventually, you will loose it from your face.

Okay, as far as diet, the best thing is to understand how your body works, why it puts on and looses weight. Once you know that, you can work out how to get it to do what you want it to.

The human body is made up of cells. Cells are alive (well, most of them), and each perform a different task. When all of them are put together, it makes a human body. The work that cells do is loosely called metabolism. Metabolism is the process by which a cell takes up energy and uses that energy to do its work. All living cells require energy to do what they do. Some also require extra substrates to make things out of.

Even if you just sit and do nothing all day, you cells need energy to do things like breathe and keep your heart beating. But of course, if you move around a lot, they need even more energy. If you do something like running, your cells have to work really hard, and they need a lot more energy than they would use if you were just sitting still. They can get that energy from 2 places - food, or fat stores.

In optimum conditions, a person would eat exactly the amount of food that their body was going to use for the day, exactly the right amount of energy. But some days we are more energetic than other days, and some not. Also, some days there will be a lot to eat, some days there won't be. If you're okay with the concept of evolution, you can think about it in terms of primitive humans. (If not, think about ancient humans, and substitute the word evolved for God designed it.) Maybe one day, the tribe makes a kill, and there's piles of food for all. You can eat until you're stuffed. The next day though, no kill is made, and everyone has to go without. But since your body needs energy every day, how does it cope with this day without food?

What happens is that the body uses the energy it needs to, and if it has anything left over, it stores it as fat. This way, when it doesn't have enough food to sustain itself over a day, it can delve into the fat stores it has made, and get its energy out of there. Rather than 'burning' food for energy, it 'burns' fat. In this way, early/ancient humans could survive periods with lots of food and not much food at all.

So what's happened now, as technologies and society have changed, is that suddenly over the last hundred years, we've managed to get access to food whenever we want it. There's no need to save it for later, we can eat it now and go buy more if we need to. That makes the reflex that we have, to store extra food just in case, pretty redundant. But it doesn't stop it from being there. Which means that suddenly a lot of people have eaten more than they've used. Which means people are overweight.

So what you need to do to loose weight is actually very simple. You've got to eat a bit less than your body really needs, so that it goes to it's fat stores and uses that instead.

There are a few ways you can do it. You can use a counting system, like calories or weight watchers. You can just guess. You can eat whatever you like, but work out a whole lot so your body needs more energy than normal. The choice is yours. You've gotta experiment to work out what works for you, but all weight loss is based on that same principal - consume less energy than you need.

oh my God, amazing reply.

Thanks so much
JMav

Postby rivenriver » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:49 am

JMav wrote:Thank you all for your replies, your post was especially motivating Megan.

rivenriver wrote:The way to loose weight from your face is to loose weight from all over. As Misstoodles said, spot reduction is not possible - your body put on weight all over, and it looses weight all over. People are different as to where they loose weight from first, you can't tell, but eventually, you will loose it from your face.

oh my God, amazing reply.

Thanks so much

You're welcome! :) I'm glad I was useful!!!
rivenriver

Postby Siana-leah » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:38 pm

as far as preparing food etc.....
i set aside one day a week where i prepare dinner in bulk so i can just grab it out of the fridge or freezer.
lunches....i prefer a simple sandwich.......just cut up the veggies and leave them in a container for the rest of the week to grab.....

that works for me anyway! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Return to Weight loss Talk