It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Biggest Loser

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Biggest Loser

Postby bferbear » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I recently joined a Beachhouse Health and Fitness Club (last week) and was talking to the manager today when out of the blue she asked me if I would be interested in going on the Biggest Loser. I didn't know whether to be interested or offended.

At the end of the day with the work commitments I have over the next 6 months it wouldn't be possible anyway, but as I said is it considered offensive to have something like that said to you?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby sunshine » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 pm

I wouldn't take it as being offensive and the reason why I say that is because I watch the show Friday nights (usa version) and I have total admiration for the contestants and what they are doing. And my favourite part is seeing their bodies completely change and seeing how they become fit and healthy and I admire their determination. So I would say go for it!!! Best wishes.
sunshine

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:46 pm

I wouldn't take it as an insult coming from a gym manager. If it were my mother I definitely would, though!

I'd imagine people in the fitness industry look at The Biggest Loser as a great way to promote fitness, good eating and weight loss. They would see it as a great way for clients to lose weight, not as an indictment on their current weight.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm

ouch for the bad side of it and ouch for the good, that would so break me down but could also be motivation to get stuck into things to. hmmm
soon2bayummymummy

Postby hysterical_oliver » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 pm

I think it's kind of a compliment in a weird way. Maybe they see you as someone who is very motivated to lose it all and take the prize?

I would probably have been offended but hey if the shoe fits...I know I'm fat :cry: lol
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:36 pm

If that was said to me I would be insulted.

I don't like the concept of the biggest loser. It promotes losing weight in an unhealthy way, just look at former contestants who have put the weight back on.

There is too much scheming and sabotaging on the show and weight loss shouldn't be about that.

Well that's my 2 cents worth :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby rivenriver » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:43 am

I doubt it was intended as a nasty remark, but I think you have the right to take it either way.

On the one hand, the people who are on that show are BIG. And they loose weight fast. So you could take it as being 'you need to loose serious weight fast'.

On the other hand, people who go on reality shows need to be certain types of people. They need to be charismatic, confident, reasonably good looking, good to be around, interesting, and fun. If they people they cast don't match at least most of those categories, people won't want to watch the show, and it'll go down the toilet. Additionally, to cope in that sort of environment, you've gotta be strong, dedicated, and motivated. So you could take it as a 'wow, you'd be REALLY good on tv!', in which case it's a big compliment. :)
rivenriver

Postby hysterical_oliver » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:49 am

rivenriver wrote:I doubt it was intended as a nasty remark, but I think you have the right to take it either way.

On the one hand, the people who are on that show are BIG. And they loose weight fast. So you could take it as being 'you need to loose serious weight fast'.

On the other hand, people who go on reality shows need to be certain types of people. They need to be charismatic, confident, reasonably good looking, good to be around, interesting, and fun. If they people they cast don't match at least most of those categories, people won't want to watch the show, and it'll go down the toilet. Additionally, to cope in that sort of environment, you've gotta be strong, dedicated, and motivated. So you could take it as a 'wow, you'd be REALLY good on tv!', in which case it's a big compliment. :)

That's what I was trying to say lol :shock: ARE YOU IN MY HEAD?!?!?!?!?
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby rivenriver » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:51 am

hysterical_oliver wrote:
rivenriver wrote:I doubt it was intended as a nasty remark, but I think you have the right to take it either way.

That's what I was trying to say lol :shock: ARE YOU IN MY HEAD?!?!?!?!?

Probably. :P ;) We do seem to be thinking alike lately, hey? ;) :D
rivenriver

Re: Biggest Loser

Postby loveat116 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:05 am

bferbear wrote:I recently joined a Beachhouse Health and Fitness Club (last week) and was talking to the manager today when out of the blue she asked me if I would be interested in going on the Biggest Loser. I didn't know whether to be interested or offended.

At the end of the day with the work commitments I have over the next 6 months it wouldn't be possible anyway, but as I said is it considered offensive to have something like that said to you?

I don't think I would be offended at all.

The biggest loser would be the best opportunity to lose weight, you have controlled meals and exercise! People have had amazing weight losses on the show.

Although, they do water load (drink HEAPS of water before a weight in), so when they lose 15kg a week its NOT FAT.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Return to Weight loss Talk