It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Free Newsletter

how to stop the cravings

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

how to stop the cravings

Postby mialisa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi guys,
i love eating healthy meals and think nothing of sitting down to a big plate of salad and vegies. In fact 3 days ago i made a roasted pumpkin salad for work and have now had it 3 days running it was so delicious. My problem though is i am a serial snacker. It is not necessarily that i am craving something in particular, but i get an idea of something to eat in my head and i just have to have it and a lot of other stuff. Once i have one taste of somehting 'naughty' i continue eating junk. It just spirals out of control and i can't seem to stop myself long enough to think about what i am doing. I keep setting plans to think about it before i do it, but that is the problem, my head doesn't give me a chance. Does anyone else have a similar problem and if so, how do you combat it. How do i control my actions before i do them???

Postby Jisgone » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:31 pm

i do this too! i think u have to cut out the situations where u have the option to do it
for example, every afternoon i used to go to the bank to do the banking and there were about 50 million lunch bars along the way where i could stop and be naughty so now i dont go to the bank, i send someone else instead
i also dont carry cash with me, when i know i have no money it stops me from trying to stop off anywhere for a snack
maybe try bringing healthy snacks? and saying i will have this apple at 3pm that way u know your routine and dont lose track of your eating!
good luck :)

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:32 pm

I have been snacking too. I have just gone and bought some healthier ks and I even took one(a le snak) in my handbag yesterday when my bf and I went chrissie shopping.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9

Postby rivenriver » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:48 pm

I try and get into situations where there is no food available - at uni, I don't keep food in my room or coins in my wallet, and I don't take my wallet to class. I also try and give myself set times to eat, and if that time hasn't come yet, I can't eat. I try and just go 10 more minutes at the very least, and then often I get distracted and forget about eating anyway.

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:47 pm

I had the same problem with habitual snacking. Basically I had to brainwash myself into new habits, which meant forcing myself to stop before eating anything and have a bit of a think about it. If I want to eat I ask myself why. Am I bored? Do I have a craving? Or am I genuinely hungry? I try drinking water to make sure it's not just thirst. And I keep fruit handy for if I'm really hungry. Now I think I get sick of my constant psychoanalysis of myself and I just get used to a small level of hunger until my next meal-time rather than go through all the self-interrogation! :lol:

My problem now isn't habitual snacking, but strong cravings for certain foods. Tonight I had a real craving for potato chips. I knew I couldn't stick to just a couple, and I was already close to my calorie limit, so I waited it out until the craving passed. I've found if I distract myself with other things (reading a book, watching a movie, or even eating a piece of fruit) the craving often passes or at least becomes easier to deal with.

My other way I'm trying to deal with cravings is seeing if I can satisfy that craving with something near enough but healthier. If I'm craving chips it could be the crunchy texture I want, so I have a Ryvita with some hommus instead. If I want lollies, maybe it's the sweetness I'm after, so I'll try fruit instead. And if it's chocolate I'm desperate for sometimes a low-cal hot chocolate or a small piece of dark chocolate can satisfy the cravings with a fraction of the calories or fat. And sometimes a nice cup of tea is an effective substitute for a glass of wine (sometimes, not often though!) :lol:

I think healthy snacking can be good if you really savour the taste. Don't just pop it in your mouth and chew. Make sure you thoroughly enjoy every morsel of your snack. It will take you longer to eat so you'll end up consuming less, and you'll probably get more enjoyment out of it. And this will also give your head a chance to catch up with your snacking. If you can't stop yourself from snacking before it happens, at least you'll be aware of what you're doing while you're doing it. It will become more of a Big Deal instead of something you do on auto-pilot and it could help you make conscious decisions about what to snack on and when to do it in the future.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice

Postby mialisa » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:02 am

Thank you to all those who gave me some food for thought!!! I will definitely give them all a go. I have just finished of a whopper after a long night at work and am feeling really guilty. But there is nothing i can do about it now, so tomorrow is another day!!!

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:34 am

hehe thats so me but its so easy when see something thats a junk item or for me a loaf of fresh bread etc to sit and eat eat eat and not even give a second thought until its all gone and u either exercise it off or sit there feeling sick and bloated. Im gonna start ww again so if i do overeat i will have to count it and if i go over my points for the day then i will do my normal exercise plus try and burn off my overeaten points.

Return to Weight loss Talk