It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:42 am

Free Newsletter

Losing weight relating to your age - for women

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Losing weight relating to your age - for women

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:42 am

There was a theory floating around that the older you are, the harder it is to lose weight because your metabolism changes as you age. Oxford University completed a study last year, which found that your metabolism does NOT change as you age. When they studied younger women doing the same hosehold chores as older women, they found that the older women were much more efficient at completing chores: i.e. a younger woman performed on average 50-60% more movements when making a bed than the older woman! This means that younger women are actually moving more. When the exercise rate of both younger and older women was the same, their meabolism was the same. So I'm sorry to tell you - no more excuses for not losing weight if you are like me, and 'not young'!

Metabolism and age

Postby Ed » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:10 pm

On the question of age and weight loss...

It has been suggested that one of the major reasons our resting metabolism slows as we age is because as we age we tend to lose muscle mass.

This can of course be reversed or minimized by doing weight bearing exercises to build or maintain the size and strength of our muscles.

It also helps keep our bones strong, which also tend to get weaker and more brittle with age often leading to osteoporosis.

So while there is some evidence that it is harder to lose weight as we age, the point made earlier that there is no excuse is still very valid.

Exercise, including weight bearing exercise like walking, weight training etc are vital to maintaining or building strong muscles that burn extra calories/kilojoules at work, rest and play!

Ed :D

Postby natalie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:21 pm

Thankyou for posting that information...
Now I can go and see my mum tonight and tell her no more exuses woman! :D

Thanks again!

"All we have is here and now"

Postby Dolly » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:31 pm

Postby natalie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:54 am

I went to see my mum last night and I showed her the post from "guest" and I said so no more exuses now??? I said you deserve to loose weight and be happy.

She is now detirmined to do something about her weight once and for all.She needs to loose 10 kilos to get to the top of her healthy weight range.

Thjankyou for posting this info.

Natalie :)

Postby Rob6014 - 'Guest' » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:21 pm

...but your Mums can console themselves with knowing that they are WAY more efficient than their daughters. :wink:

I managed to lose 30kg whilst going through menopause - believe me, there's no excuse that's not just an excuse.
Rob6014 - 'Guest'

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:25 pm

well, I'm not looking forward to practice making my housework efficient :roll: The less practice the better! :P
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby linda » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Well now that I am over 40 I have found this time round I can lose weight at the same rate as it always has, so age has not made any difference to me.

Postby Rob6014 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:16 am

I once had a friend who insisted you couldn't lose weight unless you had a second baby! (She had one child at the time) I never quite understood how that one worked. I guess we all have made excuses for ourselves, even if we don't admit it. "I'm big boned" is the most common one I have heard. My excuse was that I was living in a place in Australia that made me unhappy. How lame is that!? I have resolved not to make excuses ever again - I am fat because I eat too much. No-one else is to blame. The butt stops here! (excuse the mixed metaphor :D )

Postby natalie » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:37 am

The exuse that your friend said that you couldnt loose weight unless you have a second baby is the funniest thing I have heard all day.

You have given me a good laugh! :lol:

Return to Weight loss Talk