It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Free Newsletter

Total Calories VS Types of Food?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Total Calories VS Types of Food?

Postby loveat116 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:47 am

Ok....

I had a pretty bad day yesterday.

i ate:

1 Double Cheeseburger Maccas
1 Medium Fries Maccas
1 Sausage
1/2 A Pizza Pie
1 Tea

Now that seems really disgusting and bad right?

Well the total calories came to : 1208

300 Calories under what I eat for a day.

Should I still be disgusted in myself? Or is it OK cause I came under calories? (I do this prob once a year)

Oh yeah and 52% of the calories came from fat
:shock:
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby SarahC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:54 am

I would stand by the maths. Obviously it's better to eat healthier foods, but maths wins in the end! :D Besides, it's good to have a change and treat yourself occasionally, as long as it's not every day!
SarahC

Postby loveat116 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 am

mm... its not something I will be doing often.

I *tried* to go to the gym that afternoon, I had nooo energy. But when I eat healthy I do. I didnt realise I went under before I counted it up! I thought that maccas meal would be like 1200 calories itself!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby dannyboi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else, but did you guys see the 'Today Tonight' report on the 20 or so guy having only KFC everyday but still losing weight?
He worked out the amount of calories he needed each day and ate that amount in KFC, and not going over. From that, he started to lose weight. To make up for the lack of vitamins, he took vitamin supplements to compensate for it.
The on-air doctor mentioned that this should totally be avoided since his immune system would totally be shot from the lack of fresh and healthy food.

Just an interesting thought though.. Losing weight from having KFC
dannyboi

Postby Mummyof3 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:06 pm

I *tried* to go to the gym that afternoon, I had nooo energy. But when I eat healthy I do.
exactly like me, I have been feeling like crap all day actually... only because my diet has been pathetic over the weekend,
this is just my take-even though you didn't go over your calorie in-take, the food is not very good for our bodies, the perfect example of feeling not very good, and very low on energy, in regards to working out...Honestly I am still working this all out... cause I have been really low on energy, but also agreed we should have our treats now and then, once a week :D

wow, losing weight on kfc, would just be awesome, I love the stuff, but I bet it made him feel like crap...
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby JP1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:59 pm

dannyboi wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else, but did you guys see the 'Today Tonight' report on the 20 or so guy having only KFC everyday but still losing weight?
He worked out the amount of calories he needed each day and ate that amount in KFC, and not going over. From that, he started to lose weight. To make up for the lack of vitamins, he took vitamin supplements to compensate for it.
The on-air doctor mentioned that this should totally be avoided since his immune system would totally be shot from the lack of fresh and healthy food.

I didn't see the show but again its all a matter of mathematics and depending on whether his daily output of energy is more than his daily input he will lose weight. You don't mention whether he was exercising as well? If not then what he is doing is probably a lot worse than a crash diet (irregardless of the vitamin deficiency already highlighted)... all that KFC will be loaded with fat so although he may be losing weight he most certainly will be losing lean body mass... muscle etc... whilst his body fat rate is increasing.

When he eventually comes off of this 'diet' is when the problems really start because his body will naturally expend even less energy with the reduced body mass and the less fat burning muscle and he will gain weight (fat) much quicker... thats why crash diets are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. What this guy is doing is very similar and in fact is worse because at least in crash diets the food is usually healthy even if the strategy is flawed.
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Misstoodles » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:45 pm

On a very general level weight loss is just maths, yeah. But you're trying to lose FAT here, not just weight.. everything about your body will look, feel and BE better if you consume better food, not just how many calories it equals.

It's in my opinion that if we felt like our lives weren't worth living, we wouldn't take action to become slim. The idea is to have a better life, not just a slim one. So this -should- include being healthy.

So really, its a combination of the quality of the calories and the total it equals in the day.

Primarily complex carbohydrates, a sufficent amount of protein, a low amount of fat (good fats, at that), fibre and vitamins.. and as limited amounts of simple carbohydrates and bad fats as you can manage in a livable life.

Sure. You can lose weight eating KFC every day. Chances are you're losing muscle as well as fat and vital water for the function of your organs, not actually lowering your fat percentage anywhere near as much as you could be. Not to mention what you're doing to your insulin levels, metabolism, vitality and focus. Or what the lack of fibre is doing to your digestive system. The list goes on and on. It's like putting the crappiest oil in your car and expecting everything to function as well and as long as using decent fuel and servicing it.

I personally think when we eat how we -should- be eating, it becomes a habit after a while and we're just adopting the lifestyle we should have when we're fit and healthy. It's like our health is following in the footsteps of our mindset and our actions.

Having said that, if this is a rare thing, then thats fine, but don't let people tell you that the main thing is total calorie consumption :S

Signed..

Megan's Two Cents.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby dannyboi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Yeah. I think it was more of a "losing everything" instead of only fat for the case of the KFC guy.
- danny
dannyboi

Return to Weight loss Talk