It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am

Free Newsletter

Holidays - how do you cope ?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Holidays - how do you cope ?

Postby GoddessInside » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:44 am

Hi All,

Today is my last day at work for two weeks and Im really anxious about sticking to the program whilst I am on holidays. It's much easier when you're at work, you have a routine, whereas when Im on holidays it's another story. We're not going away, just going to relax for the two weeks but I eat when I get bored :(

So how do you "cope" with it all when you're on holidays ? How do you keep at it when temptation is always there ? Anyone have any tips to share ?

Cheers :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby bferbear » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:31 am

I am planning to get through the holidays through the belief that I can, if that makes any sense.

I know what my goals are, I know what I want, I know what I have to do to get there, I know that it is entirely up to me whether or not I reach those goals.

I was at a lads only cards night last night, free beer and free pizza for all. I had a coke zero and snacked on a few pretzels. I did this because I knew that if I didn't I would hate myself for it today.

Some situations are going to be tougher than others, for me it is in social situations with people who know me as a guy who is into excess (excessive drinking, excessive eating, excessive partying). For you it might be solitude, finding comfort and entertainment in yourself and your own company. If you find yourself peckish, and you think that you won't regret it tomorrow then snack away. If you feel guilt, or regret even before you have taken a bite, then go for a short walk, even just to the front door and back again, to shift your focus onto something else for a second or two.

My intention is not for this post to come across as harsh, but to point out that it is easy to justify why we do something to everyone else, but at the end of the day you still have to wake up and face yourself tomorrow.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby sunshine » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Well I am thinking the same thing, I had my last visit to the gym today and they are closed for a week, then we are going away til end of Jan, so I will be away from the gym for a month.

I am dreading it because I have been going so well, but I am going to keep doing heaps of walking whilst away and keep my cardio going for my fitness. Which will then (I think) make it easier to come back to my gym programme.

But I am already in the festive mood and am having a malibu rum right now, but I think if we all have xmas in moderation we can get through it not too badly. Anyway best wishes to you.
sunshine

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 pm

I just had a dead week at work so no running around there. I walked a little bit but got very lazy. Stayed under my cals though. I went for a walk with the dog today and because i had pizza and birthday cake did crunches and penance(hehehe) na just did it to feel better. Also when i go to mums I am going to use her swiss ball and go for walks with her.

Basically im just trying. and Im still losing gogo 88.3.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby shelbel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Oh geez i cant offer one scrap of useful advice to you hon, im not going so well myself during this silly season! But what i do have in mind is a restart date, im focusing on 2nd jan! Thats when i start up again and kick these last few kgs to the curb!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, i degress, maybe you could start a 'holiday routine'

Set a time, say before breakfast to go for a walk, then its done and you can enjoy your day however you see fit (couch watching dvd's, bed/nap with hubby, shopping) I can only offer the 'not being too hard on yourself' advice at the moment!

Right, so Shelley was in fact zero help to you!!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby GoddessInside » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 am

Acutally Shel, you brought up a good point.

ROUTINE

I mean, surely it shouldnt be so hard to continue on exercising when Im on holidays. I want to try and incorporate that morning walk into it all. I've been saying that for a while but I havent been able to.

I guess I am more worried about eating cause Im "bored". I'll just have to get out and about more ;)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Mummyof3 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:38 am

Dido dido dido :) me to am already dreading I have already started with the festive eating actually.... (real bad) I geuss its like I have been eating because I have been real happy... I dont have any tips, besides, just to go with moderation....
But what i do have in mind is a restart date, im focusing on 2nd jan! Thats when i start up again and kick these last few kgs to the curb!
exactly what I have in mind as well.
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:46 pm

I am personally going to PIG OUT xmas day! Each day I want to over eat or want some junk food I tell myself that xmas day is just around the corner. 1 major splurge day then back to it :D The thing is, I won't eat as much as I think I will because my appetite isn't as big as it was and fatty food will make me feel a bit sick!

I have 2 casual jobs and am off for a few weeks and with all this extra time it is really hard not to just veg out on the couch and eat.

I'm making myself walk/run first thing in the morning, it makes me feel really good afterwards and i'm less likely to cave in.

We're lucky that we live 30kms out of town and since there is no junk food in the house, I can't eat it!

I've i'm having a bad craving I tell myself to go do some exercise first - walk/run, sit ups, push ups etc and afterwards if I still REALLY want that food then I can have a bit...99% of the time I end up not wanting it because I think that exercise has just burned excess fat, do I really want to eat something that will compromise that?

I'm going to get some sort of yoga/pilates or aerobic exercise DVD to do during the holidays and those days off to keep me motivated. Maybe you could try that too?

Best of luck, and well done on your loss so far - you're amazing!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Misstoodles » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:42 pm

It's difficult at our house. We only have this sort of stuff once a year, and although I don't want to pig out - I do want to sample everything that I'm only going to have the chance to once every 365 days lol!

It's tradition in our family to have a roast chicken, trifle, christmas cake and alcoholic beverages. Drambuee and cream this year. *le sigh* Which is delicious..

I'm going to try and have really small amounts of everything. I'm still expecting a gain, but the smaller the gain the better really.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby Apples » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:56 pm

This year thankfully were spending xmas with the other side of the family which is good because we usually have a picnic down at the beach ... so lots of salad and lots of swimming

plus hopefully not to many drinks
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyfsA32/]
[/url]

Sw:95
Cw:95
Gw:55
Apples

Postby oostevens » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:55 pm

this year i have 1 week off, while hubby gets 2. I am lucky cos instead of going to my grandparents and my nan & pops for chrissie (2 big meals in 1 day) i am just doing the parent thing.

chrissie day we are at my in laws which will be food, but i am not a big eater anymore. if i want some of everything, i will have a small amount. after lunch i am planning on a walk on the beach :) and then 2 days later i visit my parents, but it wont be a big meal thing, cos its just us and them, whereas at my inlaws its us and my sis inlaw, her bf and their daughter.

i wont be pigging out much at home, as we cannot afford to. we can afford to buy food for dinner and lunches and breaky but thats it. We dont even keep snacks in the house, because we dont need them :p

i wanna work out tomorrow, been really slack the last few days.
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby hysterical_oliver » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 am

I just started back at work after a couple of weeks off and at first it was difficult to be out of a routine even on weekends. As time has gone on, I don't find it so difficult to keep on the straight and narrow. I don't keep any junk in the kitchen so even if I am tempted, there's nothing I can do about it! That's what it took for me to get into the routine of not being at work. You just need to keep your motivation right and you'll get through it no worries :D
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Return to Weight loss Talk