It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:43 am

Free Newsletter

wheat free foods!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

wheat free foods!

Postby laura21 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:40 am

Does anyone know any decent low fat gluten free food recipes? I've just discovered that I'm intolerant to wheat, and yes bread is my favourite dammit!, all the gluten free or wheat free foods Zi've discovered seem to have huge fat content and this isn't helping my progress at all!

Postby Dolly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 am

My brother in law became wheat intolerant for about 1 year (because he over indulged in wheat things for most of his life)
For breakfast you could have
rice bubbles for breakfast
or oatmeal sachets mixed with plain skim yogurt and chopped banana.
for lunch you could have salmon and salad and a rice cake or two, there is a wheat free bread loaf made by wuppa or whatever they are called but because it does not have the glutin to glue it together it is very crumbly..
For dinner meat vege and potato or rice.

My brother in law kept away from wheat for about a year and his body became tolerant toward it once more, but this time round he does not over indulge.

I have seen a few low fat glutin free cookies and crackers in woolworths where the health food section is but I'm sorry, I can't remember the name, it had a green box.
Last edited by Dolly on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby carleyjt » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 am

I remember i did the wheat free thing for a while and i found at Farmer Charlies (im on the Far North Coast of NSW) had a whole section of pancake mixes, corn crackers, rice pasta etc that as i recall where ok in the fat stakes.

Also try They may have some recipes that can help you out

Hope this helps :D

Postby dragonfly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 pm

I am wheat intolerant.

I have alot of smoothies made with soy (am also dairy intolerant) and rice bubbles, corn flakes for breakfast. i have burgen rye, it does contain wheat, but its low, and I dont eat a whole heap, maybe a loaf a month?
I also have pasta made from rice, and eat rice alot. veggies and fruit are all wheat free, so eat plenty of them. it will take a while but you do get used to it.
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg

Postby Angel » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Here you go, heaps of recipes for you

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:09 pm

just a note - be sure to check cereal ingredient packets. Things like corn flakes and rice bubbles often have wheat in the, Stupid I know. And "corn" flour is often made from wheat - go figure. If you are gluten free, it is usually easier (and often tastier) to just avoid bread, althou therer are beginning to be some good gluten free loaves around. Although as you say, they probably have all sorts of other things in them to make them soft.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Weight loss Talk