It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:25 am

Free Newsletter

Ugh....confused and lost....once again!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Ugh....confused and lost....once again!

Postby help6363 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:13 am

Hey lovely people ........

I was wondering if anyone could answer the following for me......I am getting confused (lol, what's new?)

1. In regards to weight training, I have been told to increase weight or vary it a bit when it gets too easy. When does this stop ......? I mean will have to keep increasing the weights when I reach goal or is there such a thing as maintence with weight training?

2. I was told to take a week off the gym when the results stop coming.......and then come back because my body needs a rest. Has anyone else heard of this theory? Does it work?

Thanks in advance for any help........I appericate it! :D

Have a great day

cheers
help6363

Re: Ugh....confused and lost....once again!

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:50 pm

Hiya :)

Yep, you basically just keep increasing your weights every time they get too easy. This is if you want to keep increasing strength. If you just want to maintain the strength/muscle tone you have, you can stay at the same weight. But of course, this will burn less kilojoules!

2. You're actually meant to have a week off weights every 8-12 weeks or so, because your body needs a break and you can actually start to plateau and can even go backwards with your weight training! We were actually taught in my personal training course to structure weights programs with a week off every 8-12 weeks.

Hope this helps :)

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Re: Ugh....confused and lost....once again!

Postby help6363 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:18 pm

zeedeveelgirl wrote:Hiya :)

Yep, you basically just keep increasing your weights every time they get too easy. This is if you want to keep increasing strength. If you just want to maintain the strength/muscle tone you have, you can stay at the same weight. But of course, this will burn less kilojoules!

2. You're actually meant to have a week off weights every 8-12 weeks or so, because your body needs a break and you can actually start to plateau and can even go backwards with your weight training! We were actually taught in my personal training course to structure weights programs with a week off every 8-12 weeks.

Hope this helps :)

Em xoxo

Thanks sweetie...that's interesting about having the week off.

You are a star....thanks for the information.

Oh, can I ask another dumb question? :D PLEASE!

Thanks for your answer, much appericated! :D
help6363

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:20 pm

Fire away girl :P :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby help6363 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks! It's so great to have a PT on this site. :D

I feel kinda guilty because this is your job and I keep asking you for advice for free....sorry sweetie!

Okay.......here are some more questions! Thanks for answering them, you are a darling :D

1. As I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong, when I am happy with my muscle tone.....I use the same weight, is that correct? If so, it will become lighter and easier to lift as my body gets used to it. Is that correct? However, I should stay at the same weight level...... to maintan even if it feels light?

2. Is 18.5 a healthy BMI?

3. Do I need to change the weight program every 8-12 weeks too? Or will the week off be okay without changing my program?

4. Do I also have a week off cardio too?

I do like having a week off every 8-12 weeks....... it means I can structure it so when I am on holidays I don't have to worry about weights! YAH!!!! :D

Thanks for your help.....much appericated! :D
help6363

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Hiya :)

I'm always happy to answer questions for anyone on here, I keep tellin' ya that
I feel kinda guilty because this is your job and I keep asking you for advice for free....sorry sweetie!:lol: :lol: Seeing as I'm not working as a PT at the moment it's good to keep my mind still going with it!

1. Seeing as you're female, if you increase the weight and keep the amount of reps you're doing high when you want to maintain, I don't think you'd really notice that you're getting "too bulky". Unless you do insane amounts of training and take lots of supplements etc, you won't bulk up. I know you want to maintain, but it's good to keep increasing your weights because as I said, you'll get bored and your body will just get used to the same weight and it'll be pointless even doing it! So I'd keep increasing the weight but just make sure to keep the reps high :)

2. 18.5 is a healthy BMI, yes :) 18.5 - 24.9 is the healthy range :) 18.5 is the lowest end of the scale though, anything under that is said to be underweight. (I just wrote underwear then hahah :P :twisted: ) Butttt we all know the BMI can be a bit of a crock!!

3. It depends whether you're happy with the results from your weight program. If you are, you can keep it the same, just make sure you're upping the weights. It's good to shock the body once in a while by introducing different exercises, but as the old saying goes - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

4. It's up to you whether you have a week off both cardio AND weights. Muscles get used to death in cardio too, so if you want a full recharge it would be best to take a week off both, and just do some light exercise like walking etc. But you'll still get a recharge for doing weights if you keep doing your cardio :)

A week off is definitely a good idea, or even a "light week" where you don't do as much as frequently.

Hope this helped :D Any more questions, just ask!

Em xoxo
zeedeveelgirl

Postby help6363 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks........you are a legend!!! :D :D :D :D
help6363

Return to Weight loss Talk