It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:52 am

Free Newsletter

Is it okay to be fat?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it okay to be fat?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes : 25

Is it okay to be fat?

Postby rivenriver » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:41 am

Here's a question: Is it okay to be fat?

Now, we're all trying to loose weight, right? Go us. So we've made the decision that for us, personally, being slim is better than being fat. But what about someone else? Is it okay for other people to be fat? Is it okay for anyone to be fat?

When you answer this poll, don't choose what you think the 'correct' answer is. Ask yourself, and put down what you really think. No one is judging. Be superficial, be anything. It's the internet, after all.
rivenriver

Postby Jisgone » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:49 am

i think it can be but not always
theres plenty of healthy happy and succesful people who are overweight
theres also overweight people who arent happy or healthy, but then again theres thin people who arent happy and healthy!
i think it just depends on the person

now even im confused :P

basically if your healthy and enjoying your life who cares if your heavier than the person next to u
Jisgone

Postby GoddessInside » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:52 am

I voted yes.

Personally when Im at goal, I will not become a preacher and tell people what to do. If a family member / friend is happy with themselves and healthy, I will be happy for them.

However if my loved one is happy but not healthy, then that's a different story, I would be there to support them and try to assist them wherever possible.

As you said we made a personal choice to slim down, however others will and have made the choice to be overweight for whatever their reasons.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby GoddessInside » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:53 am

Jewles wrote:basically if your healthy and enjoying your life who cares if your heavier than the person next to u

Totally Agreed Jewles !
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 am

I voted no purely for health reasons. Just like its not ok to be a smoker (even though I am one :oops: ) an alcoholic etc, its not ok to be overweight because all these things affect your health.

HOWEVER, if someone is overweight and healthy then thats fine, it is their choice and make absolutely no difference to how I view them.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:05 am

Tough question.

I voted 'yes' mainly because there is no way to distinguish why someone is fat before casting judgement on them. A woman may have just had a baby. A person may have been ill and bed-ridden for a while. The person who is 'fat' at 90kg may have already lost 50kg and eat healthier and exercise more than any thin person. Every person has their own story and I think it's up to the individual to decide how okay they are with their weight.

For some people it's not okay to be fat though, for instance if they are steadily gaining weight through an unhealthy lifestyle and remain oblivious to their deteriorating health. However on the same token for some people it's not okay to be thin, such as if they got there through chain-smoking, drug abuse or an eating disorder.

I think it's how we live that matters. Our weight is just a momentary measure of how we're going. A fat person could be getting healthier. A thin person could be getting more unhealthy. Until you know a person's personal history it's simply too complicated to judge.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby LookingGreat2008 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:57 am

Really tough one!! I voted yes, I am not a judgemental person. Values/personality means more to me.

However, I think society as a whole is judgemental and our society is conditioned to consider slimness an attractive attribute (Fortunately its not the only one!!).

K
LookingGreat2008

fat

Postby mimosa8 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:46 pm

depends on how fat.

society as a whole looks down on any fat.. just need to read a magazine to know that. especially america. but funny because they are the largest nation of overweight people.

Personally for myself it is not ok to be fat. and by fat i mean bigger than my clothes (uness i had a baby or other life event). for me its a mixture of asthetics but more so self esteem.

For others it is ok for them to be fat, people are people and come in all shapes and sizes. some people actually look better weith soem weight on them, it depends on their shape and body type.

However if you are obses then it is not ok to be fat from a heath perspective, your heart and other organs are getting worn out easier and have to work harder. your not living at you optimum,
same as if you are a smoker or a drinker will be detrimental.

So I answered NO because I took "fat" as meaning unhealthy fat.
mimosa8

Postby help6363 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:33 pm

I said 'yes'. I think it's okay! I often admire people who are big and do a variety of different activities, have lots of hobbies and are big and accept themselves for who they are.

At the end of the day, I don't think body weight determines whether a person is well liked and so forth.

For myself......it's not okay but that's but I don't care if someone else is overweight.....make sense?
help6363

Postby mummy2three » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:00 pm

I voted yes. Personally I know how much better I feel when I'm not carrying too much extra weight. So in order to feel better I've made the decision to shed these extra kilos once and for all.

It's very personal and each person has the right to live their own life whether it be fat or thin, healthy or not :).
On a mission to return to 'PRE-BABY' glory days!
My loves Frazer 8, Clay 7 & Harper 2

mummy2three

Postby Juddy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:09 pm

I said yes, but... and there is a but...

If you're affecting others around you by it, and you're finding it is impacting your life significantly, then I'd say it's not okay.

It's like smoking, I reckon. While the immediate impact is on you only, there are other second-hand impacts... like second-hand smoke, the impact on your family if you were to suffer from side-effects of smoking (heart problems, clots etc).
Juddy

Postby electrongirl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:46 pm

I think it depends. As most people have already said, if its affecting your health then its not ok. But if your overweight and healthy there's nothing wrong with that.

In saying that, obesity costs the health system millions of dollars so I think we all should be doing something to better our health and our health system.

But I don't believe people should be judged on their weight.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby electrongirl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:47 pm

oh and I had to fix the Thread title!! hehe
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby milkyway » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:48 pm

electrongirl wrote:In saying that, obesity costs the health system millions of dollars so I think we all should be doing something to better our health and our health system.

But I don't believe people should be judged on their weight.

I agree with what Nikki says, though I'd change 'millions' to 'billions'. Sure, people should have the choice to live the lifestyle they desire and be responsible for the consequence of their actions. However, like smoking and alcohol abuse etc. the cost to the community is just too great :(

People are going to be judged by how they look. I don't think this is ever going to change. In some utopian world we'd all be accepted for who we are regardless of how we look, think, associate etc.

And finally I do believe there are people who can be fat and healthy, just as there are those who are skinny (or 'skinny fat') and unhealthy.

Hopefully each of here can do our best to encourage those around us to adopt a healthier life style while we strive to improve our own lives :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby JL77 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:07 pm

I voted YES for a few reasons.

I think as long as your comfortable being whatever size you are (but not anerexic) I think it doesnt matter, if you have confidence to pull it off and be yourself then its fine to be fat...

But then if you are fat and you have health problems then I dont think it is ok...

Myself I am not a confident person at all within myself so I would personally say the answer for me is NO
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk