It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Free Newsletter

Is it okay to be fat?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it okay to be fat?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes : 25

Postby phatcappy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Hate to say it, but only fat people say that it is okay to be fat. and before you slice my head off, i am fat and i answered that it is okay to be fat. those of you who answered it is okay to be fat are just lying to yourselves. obviously if it were okay to be fat you would not be a part of this forum, and in essence this forum may not even exist.

If it were okay to be fat you would not be trying to lose the weight. Believing that it is okay to be fat is simply a way of people justifying the fact that they are fat and is a copout. Ive heard a few pwople say that as long as you are healthy it doesnt matter that you are fat. These two things are 99% of the time mutually exclusive. Being obese by definition is a state of ill health.

regardless of how good you think you feel about yourself, a swkinnty version of yourself will always feel better given similar circumstances. I speak from experience, I originally weighed 75 kilos about 5 years ago, my peak weight was around 110 kilos, only a month or two ago. when i weighed 75 kilos i was happy, confident and life was good. at 110 kilos i was a completely different person. Now im deopressed and on medication. The more weight i lose the better it gets.

bottom line is being fat is not okay, it detracts from quality of life.

sorry if i offended anyone, but its just my opinion.
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby rivenriver » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:10 pm

phatcappy wrote:Hate to say it, but only fat people say that it is okay to be fat. and before you slice my head off, i am fat and i answered that it is okay to be fat. those of you who answered it is okay to be fat are just lying to yourselves. obviously if it were okay to be fat you would not be a part of this forum, and in essence this forum may not even exist.

If it were okay to be fat you would not be trying to lose the weight. Believing that it is okay to be fat is simply a way of people justifying the fact that they are fat and is a copout. Ive heard a few pwople say that as long as you are healthy it doesnt matter that you are fat. These two things are 99% of the time mutually exclusive. Being obese by definition is a state of ill health.

regardless of how good you think you feel about yourself, a swkinnty version of yourself will always feel better given similar circumstances. I speak from experience, I originally weighed 75 kilos about 5 years ago, my peak weight was around 110 kilos, only a month or two ago. when i weighed 75 kilos i was happy, confident and life was good. at 110 kilos i was a completely different person. Now im deopressed and on medication. The more weight i lose the better it gets.

bottom line is being fat is not okay, it detracts from quality of life.

sorry if i offended anyone, but its just my opinion.

I'm not going to 'slice your head off', lol, I just want to make a comment. ;)

I find it interesting that you said it's fat people who say it's okay to be fat, because from my experience it tends to be average-sized people, those who are not thin and not fat and don't have to worry about either. I've had so many people tell me I'm not fat and it's okay to be the way I am, and none of those people were fat themselves.

I voted yes, it is okay to be fat. And I know that's hypocritical because I've decided to loose weight. Weird, huh? But the reason I've decided to loose weight is because I want to be an actor, and realistically speaking, there are no fat actors. If I want parts, I've gotta be able to play the girl, and in our society the girl is slim and beautiful. But in actual fact, there's nothing wrong with me at the moment. I like myself mostly. It's just that I don't look the way society expects women to look, and theatre and film try and reflect society, so I've gotta look the way society expects me to look.
rivenriver

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Like RivenRiver pointed out, most of the people I know who say it's okay to be fat are naturally thin people who have never had to battle obesity. It's the yo-yo dieters who seem to have a phobia about weight.

I honestly don't think it's hypocritical to say it's okay to be fat yet want to lose weight yourself. Just being a member of a weight-loss forum doesn't mean I condemn fat people. After all, I also subscribe to a hair dye blog so that I can learn better techniques for bleaching my hair. Yet I'm not going to criticise people for leaving their hair its natural colour! Just because I want to go blonde doesn't mean I expect the rest of the world to go blonde too.

Sure fat is a health issue whereas hair dye isn't. But when 'fat' in our society is anything even slightly overweight you really can't just use size as the only measure of health. The time I was at my thinnest I had chronic illness and dermatitis due to a poor diet. My fitness was rubbish, my skin was terrible and I had no energy. Now I'm about 12kg heavier but I am far healthier than ever before. I'd say my current state is far more 'okay' than when I was thin. Do I want to lose weight? Yes. Provided I am still healthy when I do it. The moment my weight-loss starts to have a negative impact on my health I'm going to stop, regardless of whether I'm 'thin' or 'fat' at the time.

Remember 'fat' is really a relative term. I'm 71kg. People over 100kg probably look at me as being a healthy weight. People who are 50kg probably look at me like I'm a heifer. If the poll was "Is it okay to be morbidly obese" I would have probably said 'no'. Unfortunately 'fat' is far less easy to narrow down, and is more about moral connotations than health issues.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby phatcappy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:33 pm

fat is not merely in terms of weight. A mate of mine is 115 Kg's but hes nearly 7" tall lol.

and as far as wanting to become anactor, there are plenty of successful fat actors. Take Matt lucas for example

phatcappy

Postby electrongirl » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:41 pm

I agree there are and have always been plenty of overweight and very successful actors:

John Candy
Nikki Blonsky
Jack Black
The Belushi's
Kirsty Alley
Chris Farley
Orson Welles
Marlon Brando
John Goodman
Drew Carrey
Jason Alexander
Kathy Bates
Rosanne Arnold

I could go on and on but I think I made my point!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby phatcappy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:47 pm

jack black isnt overweight, he is sexilicious!

phatcappy

Postby electrongirl » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:14 pm

phatcappy wrote:jack black isnt overweight, he is sexilicious!

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby phatcappy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:09 am

electrongirl wrote:
phatcappy wrote:jack black isnt overweight, he is sexilicious!

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Thats hot lol

phatcappy

Postby ProudMumOf1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:07 pm

I said NO! :oops:
It's common knowledge that being overweight is not healthy.
This is the only reason I base my desicion though, I think that everyone should try to lead a healthy lifestyle. But I will not and do not preach anyone or look down on anyone for being overweight.
Losing weight is hard work and needs dedication, not everyone wants to give this.
It's not for everyone but personally I feel so much better about myself when I am at goal.
Jennifer (Single Mum) 22

SW - 93kg on 12.01.08
CW - 84.3kg on 29.03.08
GW - 65kg

3rd MINI GOAL - 78kg (15kg lost) = $50 into Clothing Kitty ($150 TTL)
ProudMumOf1

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk