It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Free Newsletter

Calorie deficit

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Calorie deficit

Postby dhrubo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:43 am

Hi, I'm new here and couldn't find an aswer to the question I have. Maybe I didn't search hard enough, so I'm sorry if this issue has already been addressed.

It's a common rule among all health gurus that cutting out more than 500-750 calories intake per day is counter productive over the long term in regards to weight loss. The reason they provide is putting the body in a state where Muscle is also burned off.

My height is 5ft 8 inches,age:22 and my weight:198lbs
My daily calories needs to maintain my current weight is 3690.I found out my daily calorie needs from here:
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/conte ... ulator.asp

I have already cut down all the fats in my diet and living on a low carbohydrate diet along with fresh fruits and vegetables along with 3 ltrs of water .I have started this diet from 24th December 2007 and found out that the total calorie i am eating everyday is between 1500-1800 i.e I am cutting down around 1800 calories in my diet ,whereas the health experts say 'to take off 1 pound per week, you need to create a "deficit" of 500 calories per day'.

My work out routine consists of 20 minutes jumping rope,20 minutes yoga and then 3 sets of ab wheel where every set is of 10 repititions.
I have already lost 2lbs.

So please tell me weather cutting down so much calories will cause any harm to my health,is it necessary to take more calories?
dhrubo

Postby mimosa8 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 am

from what I have read starvation mode is anywhere below 1200cals. so no your cals are not too low. Males need slightly more cals than females as they have more muscle mass and usually weight more.

To increase your weight loss you can calorie cycle up and down high medium and low days up to 300 cals, some experts even say more.

Well done for your 2 pound weight loss!
mimosa8

Return to Weight loss Talk