It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight Watchers

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Watchers

Postby Gal Friday » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Had a look for a thread or two about this, couldnt find one, so thought I would start my own! Feel free to point me at one if you have started one before!

Anyway, am thinking of trying Weight Watchers again. I was doing it while still at home before I met my partner, and was doing ok. Met my partner and wanted to lie around and eat chocolate together and not go!

There are more options now since I was last on it. Online, e-tools, unlimited, the usual... what are people using and how are they finding it? What about value for money?

N
Gal Friday

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

I tried WW a while back. I was doing regular exercise, only about 30mins 4-5 x a week as well as following the points system, no meetings or anything though. I did it for a month and I put on half a kg!

I have heard heaps of success stories though, and maybe I was doing wrong things since I didn't go to meetings etc.

Right now i'm doing DYI. Sensible eating and lots of exercise and its working for me so i'm sticking to it :)

If WW worked for you last time then go for it! I buy some WW stuff like low fat sauces, ice-cream etc.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I found WW great however had to stop going to the meetings due to $$. I found without that support I went AWOL and put it all on.

If you stick to it though, I personally believe its a great way to lose weight as you become re acquainted with food and learn what you should be eating.

Good Luck :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Kulaia » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

I'm currently doing weight watchers, I have been doing it for the last 3 months. I have never gone to meetings as I believe I can do it at home myself. I find it an easy program to follow and stick to and I really enjoy doing it.
Kulaia

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:25 pm

I know Weight watchers helps some people, but I don't fully understand how it would.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I may well be... but from looking at the back of their meals at the supermarket, I've noticed a focus on fat content not sugar or carbohydrates?
Juddy

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:28 pm

Tom - WW is about much more than the food you find at the supermarket! I've never done it so I'll let others that have talk about what they do. One of my friend's is on it at the moment and doing well - learning heaps about diet and lifestyle and nutrition etc. through their meetings and various methods of support.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Gal Friday » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:39 pm

I am really worried about the money side, and about keeping on going. Hopefully with my partner doing it as well (and my mum is keen as well) then we might all motivate each other.

Juddy while there is a bit focus on fat, there is also a focus on the calories... the points are based on a combination of these.

Kulaia, do you do the e-tools, or the online, or? Do you set one time to weigh yourself a week?
Gal Friday

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for that guys, like I said, wasn't quite sure.

I'm not entirely convinced still about it, so I'll look into it more. My main reason for this is I came across a WW icecream which had the typical low fat declarations all over it... but didn't make it clear that it still had sugar in it.
Juddy

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:19 pm

I think you can say that about any low fat branded food out there! :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:29 pm

milkyway wrote:I think you can say that about any low fat branded food out there! :P

Oh most definitely!

I get incredibly fired-up when I see people cramming sugary food and go "It's okay, it's 99% fat free"

I used to drink Shape and Lite White, until I discovered full cream milk actually had LESS sugar in it. Sure, fat isn't good for you, but we're forgetting that sugar gets converted to fat.

Funny thing is, the same people who only listen to 99% fat free labels, are the people who tell me that Pepsi Max has more sugar in it than Coke and that it'll give me cancer.
Juddy

Postby Gal Friday » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:59 pm

When I ate the WW products in the past, it was more as a treat. When I was really craving something, a WW icecream is still better than normal ice cream! Or a chocolate bar!
Gal Friday

Postby Juddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:02 pm

In that case, I might go out and check them more thoroughly. From memory, when I checked the back of them, they had a similar amount of carbs.
Juddy

Postby Gal Friday » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah but if ice cream has 2 carbs and 2 fat and WW icecream has 2 carbs and NO fat, isnt it better to have the WW icecream?

(just run with the numbers, I clearly have no idea about actual measurements lol)
Gal Friday

Postby Kulaia » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Gal friday, I don't use the e-tools, all I have is the WW book that tells you how many points certain foods are. If you know the calories, fat and Fiber in a particular food you can work the points out yourself by using the formula (it can be found on wikipedia).

I usually weigh myself on a Sunday in the morning because that is the day I started doing weight watchers.
Kulaia

Postby electrongirl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:37 pm

You don't have to eat any of the WW foods while on the program. They only have them on the market as alternatives to other brands. I have been following WW on and off for about 8 years and never buy any of the stuff they have in the supermarket as there are cheaper better options.

However I love the program as it allows you have all foods in moderation. I don't believe in depreiving yourself as you will just cave in and binge.

The support is fantastic aswell.

Alot of people have the wrong idea about the program as they have never been on it.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk