It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:14 am

Free Newsletter

Weight Watchers

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:51 pm

I did it a few years back but we dont have a meeting close by anymore but found it great . I do know that u can pay for your meetings in bulk for example u can pay for a 2 mths in advance if uhave money at the time . I also did it via the puter but found that because i was at uni all day and not writing down what i ate it was hard to keep track
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby shelbel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:14 pm

A fellow WW'r here!

I orginally did the at home program, then went and brought all the points books, so i have all the info i need. I find it a really easy program to follow and suits my needs!

I dont go to meetings because i dont see the point in paying money to weigh in and get support when ive found all the support i need right here :wink: But i can see how it would help people.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:14 pm

I did WW a couple of years ago and loved it. I was steadily losing weight and there was great support at my local meeting group. I found being able to talk to people in person about my weight loss issues with a group of like-minded people was a great help and the tips they had for weight loss in the meetings were invaluable.

A great thing about WW is that once you get to your goal weight and maintain it for a given amount of time (not sure how long that is) you get a lifetime membership. That means you can attend one meeting per month for a weigh-in and a pep-talk to make sure you don't gain the weight again.

I paid week by week so it was about $17 for me (student rates). Unfortunately it meant I had to drop out after a couple of months as every dollar counts when you're on Austudy. However I don't think it's that expensive if you have a spare $10 a week or so. After all you end up buying so much less junk food when you're on the program you'd easily save over $7 on your weekly grocery bill.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks for all the great replies! I am trying to decide if we will do the Unlimited version, and what that actually means. Am I saving money? WW seems to think so, but I need to figure it out.

If you just do meetings, do you get access to the e-tools? The unlimited includes these.

How helpful are the e-tools?

I have a lot of hte books from when I did it a few years ago, and tried to be motivated to use them and come up with it all myself, but again I think I need the motivation. THAT said, I had a useless leader when I was tehre that freaked me out a bit, and the meetings felt very cult-ish! As long as I dont get her again, I am sure it will be ok!
Gal Friday

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:00 pm

See if there are different leaders in your area. Where I went there were two women leading the meetings on different days. One I thought was brilliant, the other less so. Try a few different leaders to find one who gels with your personality. It makes it much easier to keep going then!

The Australian Weight Watchers site has a tool which can help you find the meetings in your area. I found this very useful when I started.
http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/util/gmf/gmf_index.aspx

When I was doing the meetings we didn't get the e-Tools automatically. You had to pay extra for those. Anyone can use the free part of the site, though, which I found helpful. I found the message-boards a great support. The people were friendly and could answer a lot of questions about points and other Weight Watcher specific issues.

When I first signed up for the meetings there was a free trial of the e-Tools that you could take up. I didn't bother since you had to use your credit card to activate it then opt-out at the end of the trial (I'm not a fan of that tactic). So if you wanted to have a go at the e-Tools without the added expense of signing up to the Unlimited plan from the start you might want to see if there is at least a free trial available.

The best place to find out about the plans and how much they cost might be the message board at the official Weight Watchers site. Find out what the people there think of the different plans available, and if any of them have changed plans for any reason. They should be able to help you.
http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/community/mbd/index.aspx
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Moomoo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 pm

I've done weight watchers a couple of times in the UK and joined again when I moved here. I only joined here because all the books etc are different to the UK ones (different foods UK works on calories not KJ)
I went for about 12 weeks in Perth Got all the books and motivation and then carried on at home. If it wasn't so much $$ then I would join again it is helpful going.

I'm doing WW again now from home. I weigh myself weekly on a Friday morning.
If you do decide its for you, I'd recommend getting one of those small calculators to work out points values its worth its weight in gold at the supermarkets!
If you don't join - go onto Ebay you can buy all the books etc from there. Heap of 2nd hand cookbooks, scales, food calculators etc
Moomoo

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks! Am off to have a look now! I thought it was a members only forum!
Gal Friday

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Gal Friday wrote:Thanks! Am off to have a look now! I thought it was a members only forum!

I think some parts of the forum are members only, but there is an option for signing up for the free areas. They hide it well though so here's the direct link!
https://www.weightwatchers.com.au/signup/registration/StepOne.aspx
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:10 pm

oohh thanks!
Gal Friday

Re:

Postby LillyPilly » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Kulaia wrote:Gal friday, I don't use the e-tools, all I have is the WW book that tells you how many points certain foods are. If you know the calories, fat and Fiber in a particular food you can work the points out yourself by using the formula (it can be found on wikipedia).

I usually weigh myself on a Sunday in the morning because that is the day I started doing weight watchers.

I am doing Weight Watchers at home and only using the points booklet. That is interesting, my friend told me to work out the points of food is to look at the kilojule serving of the food per serve and the fat content only and then use the points finder.

Can you please tell me what the forumla is to work out the points?

Thank you. LillyPilly.
LillyPilly

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby electrongirl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:48 pm

this is for american WW points but it would give you an idea.

http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php

also have a look on ebay for cheap WW caclulators, people are always selling WW stuff on there!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby LillyPilly » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Thank you for the link electrongirl.
LillyPilly

Postby GumBoots » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:12 pm

I love ww. I am currently doing it at home (I am not an official member) but I have all my books here and my determination and I can and am doing it without paying (Is that classed as stealing? :roll: ) I sometimes buy the ww frozen meals as a quick dinner while at work but I have found that if I try there meals once, I can work out how to make my own at home for less points. :D
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby electrongirl » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:41 pm

The only WW food I buy is the breakfast bars from their meetings. Alot of people think that because they have their own brand of foods that you have to buy it, thats not right!! They just have them there as an option. I don't actually like most WW foods!! And its true you can normally find better foods in other brands!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Moomoo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:58 pm

You definately don't have to only buy WW products, I do get a few things...

On a regular basis I have:
Weight Watchers mixed fruit squash (because it is 0 points) and yummy with diet lemonade (also 0 points)
WW Caramel swirl icecream - All the time YUM YUM (2 points)

The BBQ chicken pizza is quite nice but is 7 points and not very big - Pizza is one thing I really missed when I started dieting!
I don't really bother with these now as I think I could eat so much more for the points!

I have 1 ready meal a week (personal training night) but only buy the WW ones if they are on offer as they are pretty expensive

You can really make it suit your budget thats another reason why I like it!
Moomoo

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk