It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight steady or up, never down! Need help!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight steady or up, never down! Need help!

Postby dannyboi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've joined this forum, but I haven't made any achievement in the time that I've told myself to start losing weight. I started at 115kg, and am hovering around that number. I think that going through the holidays really stuffed me up, when food is plentiful and nice and you go out (road trips) more.

The initial plan was to combine weights (dumbells) training with cardiovascular (skipping, jogging, indoor excercise bike etc), but I haven't been able to stick with routine. I just don't have the motivation to keep exercising. I might get motivated for a day or two after looking at my own photos or maybe hearing about somebody else's success story, but I can't keep it up. I still manage to do some weight exercises more regularly, but that doesn't help with weightloss at all, the amount I'm doing that is. I hate talking big, but not doing anything...

I have noticed that I have a big problem with controlling my food intake. I can't seem to just have the required intake for my body. I'm pretty sure I go over the required energy intake whenever I have my meals. Maybe I should start hating my food....

What would you guys recommend I should do? I don't really plan on taking about diet plans or gym memberships, simply because I can't really afford it and don't have the required motivation. Walking WAS a practical excercise, but I'm not really in the 'mood' to go anymore. Need something to get me going! Any help would be great.

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Hey dannyboi - I wish I could bottle up motivation and give it away for free - but the reality is, it can only come from within you. Losing weight, ultimately, is something you can only really do for yourself, not for someone else.

It sounds like you're just not ready to commit to losing weight and until that time, there will always be excuses or "reasons" why you can't get exercise (e.g. not in the "mood") or for example, why you have to eat a double helping or go for the junk food option instead of something healthy.

If you were committed to losing weight, you'd find a way to squeeze in exercise or find the money for a gym or personal trainer rather than spending that money on the road trips or junk food you don't need!

Exercise makes you feel good! Just commit to putting on your gym clothes and getting out the front door. I'm pretty sure you'd find yourself going for a walk, at least just around the block.

Small goals also help. Lots of small successes add up to a huge success overall. Try and think of one thing you can do tomorrow to set you on the right path - one small step, one small thing you can achieve success.

But anyway, anyou are here, and that is a good thing!

Sorry if this post comes off harsh, I'm just trying to put the boot in which is something i think you need right now :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby dannyboi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:27 pm

No no. It's almost a motivational talk that you just gave me. I guess you can't get everything from nothing. Weightloss requires effort, and if you put in the effort you reap the benefits.

Now let's see if I manage to pull something together. Damn procrastination...
- danny

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Exercise is important for losing weight and keeping it off. If you can't find the motivation for certain types of exercise maybe you need to sneak it in using other ways. Walk to the shops instead of driving, and instead of doing one shop per week do a couple of smaller shops so you're forced to walk more often. While dedicated cardio exercise and weight training would be better at least you'd be doing something. It may ease you in to wanting a more structured exercise routine.

As to eating, maybe rather than concentrating on eliminating bad food you should first focus on adding good food. I'm finding I'm eating a lot healthier just by ensuring half my plate is covered in veggies, with only a quarter for carbs and a quarter for protein. Start off with adding more fresh veg to your meals and a few more pieces of fruit for snacks.

Good luck!

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Well said San.

I've had so many times in my life where I want to lose weight but 'can't be bothered' so in effect I didn't want it bad enough!

Now I do and i'm working so hard to prove that.

This is a life changing decision. Yes, it is hard, no one said it was going to be easy, but where do you want to be 12 months from now? Healthy, fit, slim and happy or overweight, unfit and unhealthy? You really have to decide and once you make that decision to commit.

You have to replace all those 'I can't' thoughts with 'I don't want to' then kick yourself up the bum and say 'tough luck buddy, we're going to slog it out!'

All the best, you CAN do this, you just have to want it bad enough.

We will all support you to no end, but it is ultimately up to you.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:38 pm

I agree, you have to want to lose weight. As well I think you need to be very clear on WHY you want it. I always think that once you have a strong enough why, the how takes care of itself :wink:

Postby dannyboi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:45 pm

I've been having a lot of vegetables and fruit, only to be offset by having again a lot of meat and carbs. I'll see what I can do to cut down on the meat and carbs.

Are there any 'good' and 'bad' carbs? Personally, they all seem loaded with energy so I can't see any good from them if you don't actually use them up.
Also, what types of food would give you the sensation of being full, without all the added energy? It's top easy to fill up on simply something like bread, which isn't exactly good for you.

Thanks for the tips from everyone. 2008 is a fresh start for me.

Postby Mandie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Protein - eggs, lean meat etc are good for "feeling full", and surprisingly vegies can make you feel full as well, if you eat enough of them!

Try websites like or check out the articles and links on the homesite ( for some pointers on diet and exercise.

Best of luck! :)

You CAN do this, but you gotta WANT to!

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Protein is thermogenic, which means you burn 30-40% of the total calories just by eating it. Im sure there is something about this on the internet, but it is a lot more thermic than fat, alcohol and carbs.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Wholegrain carbs contain more nutrients than processed carbs and help you stay full longer. So try to choose brown over white where possible. Brown rice rather than white rice, wholegrain or wholemeal bread instead of white bread, etc.

Low GI foods are great at making you feel full for longer. There are a lot of Low GI cookbooks out there and if you Google 'Low GI' you'll find quite a few sites with food lists, GI ratings and tips.

My mum recently lost heaps of weight doing the Low GI diet and she's kept it off for a year.

Return to Weight loss Talk