It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 am

Free Newsletter

Food calories V exercise calories

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Food calories V exercise calories

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:40 am

I'm just wondering how many calories you need to burn a day to lose weight?

I'm eating 1200 calories, low fat, low carb. Its only been the last few days that i've added up my calories on CK. Anyway, i've worked out that i'm burning approx 300 cals a day with exercise. How many of the calories that I eat do I have to burn in order to lose weight?

I jumped on the scales this morning and i'm 62.4kgs :cry: This sucks! Apart from xmas day and NYE i've been working my a$$ off with exercise and healthy eating these past 2-3 weeks. I certainly hope the scales are down at least a kg by Sunday or I will feel like i'm doing all of this for nothing!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:00 am

Just for more info, this was my intake yesterday:

Calories - 900

Fat - 20grams

Carbs - 166grams

Fibre - 21 grams

And then 90mins exercise. Surely the scales should go down soon, not up???

Everything i'm consuming comes under what CK recomends, but I don't feel hungry, I feel satisfied and have enough energy for the exercise. Oh, and I drink 3ltrs + of water a day.

Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:08 am

I don't know, I think it depends on the individual person. Like for me, for most of last month at least, I was eating around 1800cal (overeating for me :( ) and burning through 1000 - 1200cals in excercise... and I didn't lose a single thing. If anything the scales went up not down!

Maybe if nothing starts happening soon, try some different excercises, maybe your body is getting used to what you are doing? Don't eat less though. 1200 cals I think is the minimum...

I know how frustrating it is to work so hard and not see the results. Just don't give up!
SarahC

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks Sarah. The thing is that i'm mixing up my exercise doing all sorts of different things such as swimming, fitness circuit, weights, walking/running and riding. I'm also increasing the amount I do each week too.

And I am such a scales person, I get so disheartend when they don't go down!

Any other exercise suggestions I can do? I want to start taking a martial arts class but already i'm spending enough $ at the gym and the pool, so it all comes down to money :roll:

I live in a small country town so there are no fun classes like yoga, pilates, spin etc etc. We only have the bare essentials!

Fiona25

Postby Mandie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:43 am

I think you're going great with the exercise.. maybe you should try eating a little more and see if that works? I know some people have got off plateaus by eating extra on a couple of days each week just to shake things up a bit...
Mandie

Postby sassi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:47 am

in addition to maybe eating a bit more - what about increasing your protein intake?
sassi

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:48 am

Thanks girls! So maybe a small handful of nut and seed mix would do it? They're pretty much packed with everything aren't they?

Fiona25

Postby Mandie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:53 am

Yup, I think so!

Remember also with all the exercise you're doing, you're probably gaining muscle as well as losing fat. Do you know anyone with fat percentage scales so you can check that? You might look the same weight on the scales, but really you've lost 2kg of fat and gained 2kg of muscle.. or even do waist measurements and stuff to prove to yourself that this is NOT all for nothing!
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 am

Nuts & seeds sound good. Sometimes it's hard to lose fat if you are not eating any fat in your diet... you need to eat fat to lose fat lol. Nuts are great for the essential fats. Yum :)
SarahC

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 am

I actually have digital scales with all that info Mandie.

This morning it told me I had put on fat and lost muscle :evil:

I'm trying not to stress until Sunday, and then on the 19th when I have my official measure, weigh and BF % test at the gym.

Fiona25

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am

digital scales are no good at telling u that info!
i think u definately need to eat a bit more, everywhere u read says a bare minimum of 1200 cals, u need to eat to get your metabolism going to lose the weight :)
Jisgone

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:52 am

I'm scared to eat anymore incase I put on more weight :oops:

If you have a look at my food diary, I do eat a lot. 5-6 meals a day. Maybe I just need to add in some higher cal foods. Just had a small handful of nuts and seeds - yummy :D

Fiona25

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 am

you need the right variety of foods, maybe see a doctor? i think theyde recomend upping your calorie intake, you wont gain weight from eating 1200 cals a day because even if u dont move a muscle your body burns more than 1200 cals just to be alive
Jisgone

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 am

Are you sure you are getting your portion sizes correct? Because if your just estimating calories on CK you could be overeating.

NO ONE should be satisfied at 900 calories, so either your metabolism has adjusted itself (which means you wont lose weight), or you are eating more than you think, OR you could have a medical condition.

What professionals recomend is increasing your calories to maintenance for a week (2000 cal) then drop it from there. Its the best way to break a plateau.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:02 am

I'm counting calories on food packaging and things like fruit and veg on CK. And yep, double checking portion sizes. Maybe take a look at my last food diary (yesterday) and see if you think it sounds right?

Mainly eating lots of fruit and veg, small portions of lean meat, tuna, and sometimes ceral or a muslie bar.

Fiona25

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk