It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Free Newsletter

Food calories V exercise calories

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby lng86 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06 am

1200 is the minimum amount of calories any person should ever eat daily... Otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything you put into it. This is because your body is unsure of when it will be fed next.

I think everyone's opinion on this differs - but I do think you should eat more. It would help a lot.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks guys, I will try upping my calorie intake and see what Sunday brings!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby yoyogirl88 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Basically without the full 1200 cals a day your body will think that its starving or not going to get the nutrition it need and will start to turn everything you eat into fat stored to help it survive, so unless you up the intake you WILL put on a lil weight. I know it sounds bad But i have been eating 1500 to 1800 (according to my weight) cals a day and i am losing weight with minimal exercise. Its coming off slowly but i still only put on a lil weight over xmas too.

If you are worried go the the dr to help you understand about cals and what your body needs.

I hope i dont sound mean or anything. I've just had a lot of experience with weightloss healthy and unhealthy.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:53 pm

yoyogirl88 wrote:Basically without the full 1200 cals a day your body will think that its starving or not going to get the nutrition it need and will start to turn everything you eat into fat stored to help it survive, so unless you up the intake you WILL put on a lil weight. I know it sounds bad But i have been eating 1500 to 1800 (according to my weight) cals a day and i am losing weight with minimal exercise. Its coming off slowly but i still only put on a lil weight over xmas too.

If you are worried go the the dr to help you understand about cals and what your body needs.

I hope i dont sound mean or anything. I've just had a lot of experience with weightloss healthy and unhealthy.

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

They're has been extensive research into the 'starvation myth' and there isnt anything to back it up.

"Basically without the full 1200 cals a day your body will think that its starving or not going to get the nutrition it need and will start to turn everything you eat into fat stored to help it survive"

Then how to do you explain people with anorexia who eat 300 calories a day and have next to nothing body fat, holocaust victims and starving kids in Africa?

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment proves that its a myth, the volunteers took part in a VERY LOW LOW calorie diet and STILL continued to lose fat.

I am proof of this, in my teens I ate very low amounts of calories and got down to 45kg, i didn't have enough body fat to even get a period.

So... its not that she is eating too little I dont think. The body is a weird thing, she could very well be losing fat! She could be retaining fluids or anything like that. Or she is underestimating her calories.. or her body just doesn't think it should lose any more weight, or she is stressed that can hold off weight as well.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Jisgone » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 pm

theres a million theories on the starvation mode existing and a million that says it doesnt, but obviously eating 900 cals a day isnt working so maybe eating more could work for her?
were just making suggestions about what could help!
Jisgone

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for all your help and ideas everyone :D I will eat more cals the next few days and see what happens, i'll let you guys know what happens. I know a few days isn't very long, but just incase it isn't the cals I don't want to put on even more weight :oops:

Fiona25

Postby yoyogirl88 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:29 pm

Well Sorry. I had read that a while back and didnt realise it had been disproved.

Still eating too little will not help in the long run.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:33 pm

yoyogirl88 wrote:Well Sorry. I had read that a while back and didnt realise it had been disproved.

Still eating too little will not help in the long run.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, and of course your right in that eating too little will not help in the long run.

Its just you shouldnt take anything as truth from the internet, i will only believe what is written in a credited book.

loveat116

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:34 pm

I thought the starvation story thing went back to caveman times. The body not knowing when it was going to get fed next so stored fat when it did get fed???

Not that I am in anyway starving myself though! I eat lots, just that its all low carb/fat/cal not today though, I had pasta for lunch!

Fiona25

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Im really not sure.

I just know that you CAN eat very low calories and still lose FAT. BUT you will also lose muscle, which is what makes people put the weight back on, because lean muscle drives the metabolism.

Your metabolism slows down cause you have less muscle.

Also, if you are eating 500 calories a day, even 900 calories, there is no way you are going to store fat. The only reason you wouldnt lose weight is cause your metabolism has slowed. What i was disagreeing with before is that 'everything you eat turns to fat' cause thats untrue.

loveat116

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Ok, I get it now, thanks for clearing that up :)

Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:49 pm

That was my understanding of the starvation mode, that it is the metabolism slowing down when you don't eat enough. So, when you do start eating again you will store more fat because of the lowered metabolism. :?
SarahC

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Fiona25 wrote:Ok, I get it now, thanks for clearing that up :)

Dont quote me though, if you really want to get some answers do some research into it. Liek someone said, there are so many theories, we dont know who to believe.

loveat116

Postby Misstoodles » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:14 pm

If you havn't already read this or if someone hasn't posted it before me..

If you've been eating such low calories for a while, your body adapts as a way to try and save itself. Your basal metabolic rate will lower, and weight gain becomes rather simple to do as exceeding your new BMR is really easy. This is why its incredibly important to slowly lower your calorie intake through-out the months you start fat-loss.

From what I've read on this, the way to try and remedy it is by zig-zaging your calorie intake. Lower calories for a few days, higher calories for a couple and so-on. It's to try and trick your body into retaining a decent metabolism and a steady fat-loss.

Right now whatever you do lose, is likely to be muscle and water. So to see any results, you're gonna have to eat more :) Slowly build it up again with the zig-zag method. Eat right on your new healthy BMR for a week or two, then continue zig-zaging within a healthy calorie range for fat-loss.

I hope this helps and I dont just sound like a know-it-all :oops:

Megan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Not at all MT - that was a great help, thankyou!

I started to make gradual changes in November and lost the first 3kgs in about 4 weeks. In December I became more strict and did more exercise. The last 2 weeks i've upped my exercise heaps and lowered my fat/cal/carb content a lot but am eating just as much food portion as I was at the start of December.

Fiona25

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk