It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:21 am

Free Newsletter

Food calories V exercise calories

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby loveat116 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:10 pm

Are you getting any protein?

usually if you go low carb you go HIGH protein.

This is what you ate yesterday

B/F - milo bar, coffee no sugar skim milk

M/T - an apple

L - 100 grams (dry weight) Ainsely Harriet cous cous

A/T - a banana and a slim secrets binge busters bar

Dinner will be grilled fish, salad and raw veggies with some low fat tartare sauce.

Possibly a cup of low fat yogurt too and a green/mint tea.

To me that sounds like hardly any protein. On a low carb plan you should aim for protein at EVERY meal.

EG.

Breakfast: Egg white omelet
Lunch: Tin of tuna w/ broccolli and some cheese
Dinner: Grilled Chicken Breast with Salad and Broccolli

Its just your trying to go low carb/low fat but your not adding in any protein at all.

so maybe thats why your not losing heaps?
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 pm

^ Thankyou! Maybe thats where i'm going wrong then? Ok...I will add lots of protein into my diet then! What about protein shakes, would that be ok?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby sassi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:53 pm

protein shakes would be ideal i'd think. maybe you could have one straight after a workout? and i believe your protein stores are depleted while you sleep so it's also often recommended to have one either before you go to bed or first thing in the morning.
sassi

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks so much guys! I've learnt so much in this post to help me along my way :D

I'm really keen to make some more changes now. Dinner tonight was an omlete - 1 full egg, 2nd was just egg whites with low fat cheese, ham, tomatoe and bbq sauce. I had some yoghurt too which I noticed had 7grams protein per serve.

See, when I was in my early teens and started dieting, I would only look at the fat content. Then this time around i've learnt about the importance of sugar, carbs and calories but ignored the protein. Its all a work in progress I guess.

Thanks so much again to all of you!

Fiona25

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi Fiona,

I'm just going to pass along some information my personal trainer passed on to me. Don't be afraid to eat carbohydrates. Eliminating carbohydrates from your diet is a misconception that many dieters have (as a result of Atkins). Carbohydrates are actually good for you and aid in weight loss. As long as you eat complex carbs and stay clear of simply carbs you'll lose weight.

As Em said we need to eat a balanced diet of wholegrains, legumes, fruit, vegetables and protein.

And remember low fat doesn't necessarily equate to good it could be full of sugars.

And I agree with everyone who's stated you need to up your cal intake because going below 1200 will slow your metabolism making it harder to burn energy it won't gain you weight it just make it harder to lose, hence all that slogging out with little results because your body is conserving the energy it does have.

I hope this has helped some :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:38 pm

HappyBella55 wrote:simply carbs

Oops its supposed to read simple carbs
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Thankyou Bella, another lot of great advice :D

Do you guys have any idea how long it will take to see quicker results if I up my cals to 1200 and up my protein and eat some more carbs?

I just don't think I trust what CK is telling me to eat. I mean if I ate 2000 cals, 68grams of fat and over 200grams carbs and only went for a 45 min walk a day I reckon I would pack the weight on, not lose it :shock:

Right now i'm coming in at half of what they recommend, i'll up it a bit though and follow all your fantastic and helpful advice.

Fiona25

Postby HappyBella55 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:57 pm

hmmm that seems a lot. Are you sure that is not maintenance cals?

Also did you log in right details when you registered. It just seems like cals a man would need to consume so you might have accidentally clicked male instead of female :oops: Its just a possibility :D

Oh yeah I think you will have better results if you up your cals to 1200. Also because you are very close to your desired weight it will make it that much harder to lose as if you had more than 10kgs to go.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Postby cecilia89 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:50 pm

hi fiona,

i'm really impressed that you are so motivated and are definitely working your a** off!!

i noticed that in relation to your protein, your carb levels are high. last year i followed this basic 'detox' foodplan for a few weeks,

breakfast: 30g cottage cheese, 200g rockemelon/water melon/strawberries, stirred in a bit of honey and cinnamon

snack: protein shake

lunch: 60g tuna, with a salad of 60g tomato, 40g red onion, 35g baby spinach with a vinegar/oil dressing

snack: 50g almonds, etc

dinner: 120g meat/chicken or fish, with a side of vegies

snack: shake or some fruit etc

it tastes yummy too! but i ate this and was only doing a bit of exercise, you should probably eat more considering your level of activity! keep up the good work.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w7rRb20/]
[/url]
cecilia89

Postby phatcappy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:37 am

Fiona25 wrote:Thanks Sarah. The thing is that i'm mixing up my exercise doing all sorts of different things such as swimming, fitness circuit, weights, walking/running and riding. I'm also increasing the amount I do each week too.

And I am such a scales person, I get so disheartend when they don't go down!

Any other exercise suggestions I can do? I want to start taking a martial arts class but already i'm spending enough $ at the gym and the pool, so it all comes down to money :roll:

I live in a small country town so there are no fun classes like yoga, pilates, spin etc etc. We only have the bare essentials!

Another thing you need to take into account is that you are converting your fat into muscle mass. Fat and muscle weigh the same, but muscle is less bulky. hence if you convert 1kg of fat into muscle, you will still weigh exactly t6he same, but you will getting thinner. Scales are not the be all and end all of weight loss.

People just assume that if there weight isnt immediately dropping they arnt getting thinner and just stop.
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby sassi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:40 am

i meant to say before - do you ever do exercise videos? i know you said you're in a small town...i just tried a yoga dvd last night & it was pretty good. it was the yoga zone - yoga for weight loss. i also have the jillian michaels cardio kickbox, which i really enjoy. just thought they might be good options if you don't get a lot of classes offered in your area :)
sassi

Postby Post baby fat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi,

it is very very important that you DO NOT mismatch your calorie intake with your pyscial activities...
By not eating enough calories the body may conteract the reduction in food intake by slowing down the metabolism.
in other words, if CK says you are to eat 1200 calories a day if you are moderatly active then do it because they some how have already worked out roughly how may calories you'd burn. By eating less than you are ment to you are actually giving starvation signals to your body and your body will start to store those calories as fat and will take its energy from your lean muscle. This is not so good.

The more lean muscle you have the more your body burns fat when your not doing anything (like watching tv).

Its also important that you eat Protiens to repair and rebuild your muscle tissue. you'll find protien in things like Chicken, beef, fish, chesse, eggs and green beans (however only eat beans twice a week max).
Milk and yougert is also a good choice.

Carbs are still important as they are the main source of energy for the body but try to stick with wholemeal bread and pastas. (if you hate wholemeal try making a sandwich with a slice of white and a slice of wholemeal). If you stick to wholemeals they are low gi so the energy realse is slow and your body is less likely to store the extra energy as fat because your body is slowly realeasing and then using those calories.

I am actually studing Human Nutrition and have just finished the module energy value of foods so I hope you found the info I gave you useful.

Also Happy Bella said something really interesting to about the 1200 cals possibly being maintence cals. you should check that out cos I want to be 64 kgs and thats roughly the amount of cals that I should be eating.

Hey also, I thought I was motivated?! You're awsome! Keep up the good work you are so commited.
Post baby fat

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:52 am

Well I told you guys i'd update you so here goes.

Confessions of a daily weigher here :oops:

The day I wrote the post I was 62.4kgs. I ate more carbs/cals/protein that day, the next day I was 62kgs. I did the same thing the next day and was 62kgs. Same thing yesterday and this morning, my weigh in, I am 61.8kgs and BF% has gone down and muscle has gone up :D

A big thankyou again to everyone! I now have a few more things that I can eat a day and i'm not scared to have a little bit of pasta or a slice of bread. Thanks again!

Fiona25

Postby HappyBella55 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:45 pm

Hey Fiona, that's awesome!

I knew you would start losing weight once you increased your cal intake and introduced good carbs in to your diet.

Carbs aren't something to be afraid of :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

HappyBella55

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 pm

Post baby fat wrote:
... (however only eat beans twice a week max).

Just wondering, why it is recommended people only eat beans twice per week? I've been told that animal proteins are better for building muscle, and that vegans can find it difficult to lose weight and get fit as a result, but I hadn't heard of limiting beans in the diet.
EvilWombatQueen

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk