It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 am

Free Newsletter

Misconceptions about Weightloss Programs

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Misconceptions about Weightloss Programs

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:47 am

Recently I have found myself having to defend the Weight Watchers program to people who have no idea what the program is about.

It kind of makes me mad because I have been using WW off and on for years and I think its a wonderful program with great results.

It is one of the cheaper programs out there and least restrictive.

Basically you pay for a couple of books usually about $30 then your meeting fee each week which is between $14.95 - $18 depending on if you pay as you go or buy a block.

Thats it. You don't have to buy any of the WW foods and I have never been steered towards buying them.

-----------------

So if any of you who are on different plans and want to set the record straight about it, please do so.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:05 am

I'm sorry if I offended you by my comments on that post Nikki.

As I said, I could've been doing it all wrong as I never attended a meeting or anything, I just went by the points system with food and exercise. I put on weight from it, but either it didn't work for me or I was doing it wrong.

I know there are heaps of success stories with WW and I think it is a do-able program because you can still have treats and such.

I actually buy some of the WW foods and treats occassionally, so I think its a great program, I just find DIY to be working better for me as an individual :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby electrongirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 am

oh no Fiona, you didn't offend me at all, and you really didn't say anything bad, its just I have had to defend it dozens of times over the years and I finally had to have a rant about it!!

I have tried alot of different programs and nothing ever seemed to convince me to stick to it.

Weight watchers isn't a diet. Diets end. Weight watchers teaches you to change your life for ever.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby GoddessInside » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 am

electrongirl wrote:Weight watchers isn't a diet. Diets end. Weight watchers teaches you to change your life for ever.

Spot on ! That's why I enjoyed it so much !
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:12 am

Im a big WW fan also. I also love the fact that i have 7 bonus points coz im breastfeeding... so many diet programs wont allow you to do them if you are BF, love the flexibility of WW. My milk supply is plentiful and my baby boy is thriving, so no harm in doing WW whilst BF.

I too have found myself defending it... usually to family :roll:
Fletch ~ breastfeeding my 7mo baby boy ~ loving my 2yo boy!
- on a weight loss journey to be a better me!

~ Height: 165cm ~ SW: 80.1kgs ~ CW: 66.3kgs ~ GW: 60kgs ~ Pre-PG: 64kgs ~

Fletch

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 am

I've never done WW, but I think it sounds great! People always pick holes in whatever you do, don't they :roll:
SarahC

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:18 am

I know I am new here, but I just wanted to say that I think that there is always going to be disagreements about things, especially when it comes to things that some of us hold dear to our hearts. However I think it is important not to take these things personally. I in fact invite questions and debate around weight loss programs and methods and means and whatnot. I think we all should. It is how we learn and it is healthy! Other people's opinions are important, and we should never take them personally (unless they tell you that you smell like poo).
Gal Friday

Postby Juddy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:24 am

I'm sorry you feel mad about having to defend WW.

I was honestly trying to investigate further into my own assumptions about it.

I now understand you don't have to buy the food from the super market. But can you blame me for thinking the box with Weight Watchers on it might be similar to the recipes in the books?

I wasn't attacking WW, I was just trying to work this one out.
Juddy

Postby yoyogirl88 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Its not just weight watchers you have to defend, its any type of weight loss help. people seem to think that cos they are skinny that you should be able to be just by doing as they do (when more often that not they arent healthy at all just little).

Go the rant!!!! You always feel a bit better later.

(Btw I even had to defend Curves OMG a exercise place. What the!!???
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:23 pm

See I have my own issues with Curves, but that is another long story! But it should be my right to say that I dont like the way Curves works (such as not being open on Sundays)... it shouldnt make people feel upset, surely? Unless you invented the concept entirely... THAT is when people should get upset!

This is just a forum. Like other forums, full of different people with different opinions. And that is GOOD. and ok! We should just talk through the issues, yeah? Instead of getting upset with each other for having a different opinion?
Gal Friday

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation out there about different weight-loss programs. I completely understand your needing to rant over this!

I do, however, think that sometimes it's the weight-loss programs themselves inviting their own criticism. Some can be quite secretive, obviously wanting people to buy the book, sign up to the program or attend the meetings before they can find out exactly how the program works. It's no wonder many people get confused as to how they work if they don't have free and easy access to the information! And sometimes it's the weight-loss programs themselves that spread misinformation about rival programs, wanting their members to believe that they are the only one with the answers.

Some people sadly become diet zealots, spreading misinformation about other programs because they so desperately believe their own methods are The Way for everyone.

Another thing is that programs change with time. Some of the criticisms I've heard directed at Weight Watchers are based on their practices of thirty years ago. So while the detractors in that case are technically correct in their criticism, it's usually about issues that WW have already addressed and fixed.

When it comes to WW I for one found it worked quite well for me and it is based on sound principles, but even though it is cheap compared to many other programs it still wasn't cheap enough for my student budget. :(

On the bright side, at least it's getting the questions out in the open. If critics keep their mouths shut and never get their views challenged then they're never going to learn more about how different weight-loss programs work. While defending Weight Watchers must get tiring, you've done a great job in informing people about it!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:55 pm

We all have our own issues with certain weight loss plans/diets. Because I'm a qualified Personal Trainer I've studied a bit on nutrition etc etc. There are loads of diets and weight loss plans out there that I disagree with (particularly one which will remain nameless that discourage you from exercise - mainly because the foods you're allowed to eat simply don't provide enough energy!!!)

Anything that allows any food in moderation is great by me :D But I understand that bigger people need to take more drastic action ie shake diets until they get a bit more weight off and can go onto another weight loss plan :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Juddy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:35 am

I agree, Gal Friday and zeedeveelgirl, thank you for posting.

I've had to defend my various dieting/exercise programs too. Often what people would say to me would be absolutely untrue... but sometimes they tell me the truth!

But it's funny how unless you're paying them for the advice, they'll just be another ignorant censored trying to bring you down... and stop you from losing weight... because that's what they want - they take pleasure in seeing you being overweight...

This is not an attack on anyone in particular, I'm just poking fun at myself. I've had an opinion about something at one point or another, that I've completely turned on after finding something new out.
Juddy

Return to Weight loss Talk