It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Why Do You Want To Lose Weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:26 am

Farie, I priced curves and it doesn't fit into our budget because we have 2 kids at Uni. and now have to save for my daughters wedding.
About 3 months ago (if that) my old bomb of a car was parked in the driveway and a drunk driver (P plate driver) skidded off the wet road and wrapped my car around a fence. He was so scared about it as his car was insured with his mothers insurance and he was broke. I told him $300 would be enough as the car was a wreck anyway.
He handed me the cash but the fact now is that I don't have a car to get to a gym or to do shopping. Actually I guess having to walk to the shops can only be an asset, teehee!

Lanie Sorry but I'm not sure what your hairdresser meant by a line at the back of the head, perhaps she has a friend who's a naturopath and has insight to reading different body signs.
I do know that when a person is dehydrated OR about to die the back of the neck muscles on each side of the cervical spine are extreamly prominant (so you have a bump of neck muscle a dip for the spine and another bump of muscle) My sister was a nursing sister and made the observation years ago.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Serena » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:46 am

You can do pretty good substitutes for the gym at home and relatively cheaply. But as we've already established, the hard part is motivating yourself to do the exercises. You can do squats and lunges, you could use a solid coffee table as a weight bench and buy a cheap set of dumbbells or I've heard of people making their own hand weights from food cans. You might be able to find some good books in the public library to give you some ideas, and exercise videos are a fantastic way of keeping fit, and the really high-energy ones like tae-bo are a lot of fun too.
Serena

Postby kitty » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:56 am

i dont go to the gym at all dolly. not much of a fan. even when i was fit and going a lot for my sport i hated it. i felt bad enough about people looking at me then when i was fit, i sweat and go bright red! i couldnt bare to go now that i will be huffing and puffing and red and sweating and 20kgs heavier and 3 years of doing nothing unfitter.
at home i have my exercise bike, some exercise DVDs, skipping rope. and i make myself move more than i usually would. if i am putting washing away or something i dont just take it all at once, i make little trips so i am moving more. i hide the remote when i am by myself. it all adds up.
kitty

Postby Fairie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:06 pm

Yes I have to agree Dolly it is a bit expencive and it doesn't fit in my budget either. Walking will have to do for me at the moment :)
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:21 pm

I have to ask, do any of you ladies know of people who have had total knee replacement surgery?
My mum and dad love walking and both had to have a knee replaced.
I also belong to eDiets.com where the favorite exercise is walking. So many of the women there have also had knee replacement surgery, it starts off with knee pain as the joint wears out, then they have to rest a lot before they can go for walks, then the doc books them in for knee replacement surgery.
I figure that perhaps it is better to lose weight by eating a lot less and doing yoga, pilates, kick boxing, dancing, dance arerobics, dumbbell exercises, swimming or laundry to get in tone, anything but wearing away our poor ol' knee joints.

I have my electronic tredmill but my left knee is starting to play up when I go on it for 6 minutes straight. Gosh I hope I don't have to have knee surgery. My husbands best friend told us the doctor told him he will have to have both knees replaced withing 5 years, they get painful (he was an avid squash player which involved heaps of running)

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Serena » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:41 pm

My Aunt has always been a keen basketballer and tennis player and she had her knee replaced and seriously regretted it. She had a lot of complications and said she was in less pain before the operations. I think things like that should be a last resort kind of thing and not a decision to be made lightly. My friends husband plays a lot of sport and is very competitive and he has had his shoulder replaced a few times and has to be careful what he's doing because sometimes it just dislocates for no good reason. I think unless you play high-level sport, and you take pretty good care of yourself and do a variety of different things, then you shouldn't really need it.
Serena

Postby emma21 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:34 pm

To add to my previous post....

I want to lose weight because:

* I want to be a young, fit mum who can chase their kids around instead of watching from the sidelines

* I want to be around to watch my children grow up and have babies of their own

* I want to be able to say to the people who thought I couldnt lose weight - "Ha Ha I did it!"

* I want to be able to wear the clothes that I want to wear and look good in them

* I want to live to be at least 105

* One day I would like to run a half marathon or something similar

Basically there are heaps of reasons I want to lose weight and the more positive I stay about doing it, the easier its going to be - HOPEFULLY!

Emma :D
emma21

Postby juliejag » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:28 pm

My reason for wanting to lose my weight is mainly to feel good, feel healthy, have no aches & pains & the most important one is to have fun with my family. We went to the Gold Coast last year for hols and I didnt put my cosy on once while we were there as I was too paranoid about the way i looked. Only went on one ride at SeaWorld, I was hot all the time cause I was wearing clothes to cover my big fat ugly body & I dont want to feel like this ever again! What was most embarassing was when I got on the plane, I hardly could fit in the seat and had to get an extension safety belt. I made a joke about it to my husband but I really felt awful and hated myself.
I now have a personal trainer come to my home twice a week to do 1hr sessions and I feel sooo good after. Yes it is expensive but that's my splurge on myself! I need to lose at least 40kgs which I know will take awhile but I'm determined to do it! We are off to the central coast (Terrigal) in November (actually 14 weeks to go but who's counting!) and would love to lose at least 15kgs by then. I am 121kgs - My goal 80kgs.
juliejag

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:23 pm

Julie, you're working hard to get to your goal, I'm sure you'll get there.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Maraver » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:28 pm

Well done Julie with your atitude you are halfway there
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby The Funny Bone » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:38 pm

I want to lose weight because I am disgusted at the way I look. I've only recently realised how bad it is. Up until recently, I didn't see how bad I looked for some reason.

I'm 37. I've been overweight all my life and realistically I doubt I'll ever be like one of those slim models. I would like to maintain my weight at 85 to 90kg which is still above my medically determined goal but when I see photos of myself at that weight from years ago, I look good.
Size 16 would suit me just fine.

What I have recently noticed about myself is that I seem to be really aware of what I am sticking in my mouth and it's way too much. It's like I have woken up, it's hard to describe, but I think I have been daydreaming for many years, wondering why I was fat when I didn't eat that much.
The Funny Bone

Postby Dolly » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi funny Bone, the only dreaming you'll be doing from now on is about how great you're gonna look when you start to melt down.

Pam is our leader here, once per week we have an official weigh-in, it used to be Thursdays, I'm not sure if we're changing to Fridays so I'll just play it by ear and see when Pam puts the weigh-in thread up.

Do you have many challenges at home? I know when my family go away I can stick to my diet plan, but when they're here I'm cooking tempting foods and they continually bring naughty foods home that throws me off dieting.

Just imagine how super we're gonna feel shopping for a nice summer dress. If we stick to an eating plan and report in here with complete honesty we should finally shed our kilo's.
Dolly
Dolly

Postby The Funny Bone » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:45 pm

regarding your knee, if it has just started to get sore, take glucosamine and try avoid a knee replacement for life. I've been taking it for a sore knee and hip and think it helps.

I live by myself with my moggy so no challenges. The biggest challenge is shift work and eating properly.
The Funny Bone

Postby juliejag » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:56 pm

Well you wouldnt believe this, had my 2nd training session with the personal trainer, worked really hard - the next day I couldnt walk! Both knees are sooo painful ive had to go to the doc's to prescribe some anti inflam. tablets to ease the pain. Ive had to stop now which is making me feel guilty and have lost motivation. Something always seems to stop me from becoming healthy. I feel so down about it, why me? why me? why me? I'm not a strong person when it comes to staying on track. I hate the way I look, I feel so heavy and unattractive. Im sick of thinking, breathing, eating diets diets diets. Ever since I was 16 Ive been on a diet and Im sick of it! I just keep putting on more and more. My mother always nags me everytime I see her about my weight and hate it. I would love to go and have the lapband surgery done but I believe its quite expensive. Has anyone tried Reductil?
juliejag

Postby Fairie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:00 pm

Hi Juliejag,

I was the same every time I tried to loose weight or excersice something always went wrong, I started to think I was sabotaging myself on purpose :x and I always gave up so easily.
Since joining Sureslim in April 05 I have never felt so good and positive that I will succeed this time :D

I did think about Lapband but I am a woose and couldn't bring myself to do it and I also tried Reductil but I found after the first week or 2 it wasn't doing anything plus it was very expencive about $120 per packet. If you are looking at either of these as a quick and easy way to loose weight believe me they won't be. They will still require you to put some effort into making them work.

I think you have to really have look at those resonds you mentioned as to why you want to loose weight and decide if you want to be a victim or do you want a life you are happy with. It is not easy but believe me when you start to see those kilo's coming off you get such a momentum going, your on a roll so to speak (LOL)

I hope you don't think I'm unfeeling and to hard on you but I do understand, I have been there and we are the only ones that can do this for ourselves. This weightloss journey we are on is not just to loose weight but will become our whole way of life. :)

Good Luck with what you decide but remember that this is what this forum is for, to talk about how you feel and to support each other. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk