It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 am

Free Newsletter

Muscle gain

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby loveat116 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 am

phatcappy wrote:also if you are interested in building some muscle as well as losing weight, try incorperating around 1/4 to half your daily exercise routine to weight training. For example i go to the gym for around an hour and a half, i spend mabe 25-35 mins weights, the rest cardio.

Hope this helps

Weight training is great because it strengthens the muscles and helps retain muscle. However, if you are only eating like 1200-1600 calories a day its highly unlikely you'll build muscle.

And with protein, its recomended to build muscle you need 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. This is alllllloooootttt of canned tuna peoples!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby sassi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 am

that sure is a whole lotta tuna! :shock:

i use protein powder a bit. not sure how true it is, but from what i read it's good to have it before bed & first thing in the morning - something to do with protein stores depleting over night?

my bf is sick of me going on & on about protein!
sassi

Postby loveat116 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 am

Im not sure about that, probably?

One of my guy friends takes protein, its in this 20kg bag and has like no carbs in it, so pure protein basically.

He takes it before he has a gym workout and before night. He has carbs AFTER a work out.

Its basically impossible for me to get that much protein lol
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby molligrub » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:26 pm

You actually really don't need as much protein as what everyone thinks. Protein shakes and bars etc are overrated, most people get more than enough even when on a slightly calorie reduced diet. A general recommendation is 1g per kg of bodyweight, and up to 1.8g per kg of bodyweight if you are an endurance exercise freak or into heavy bodybuilding. What builds muscle is stressing the muscle with heavy training, then eating adequate calories for tissue repair and growth (ie adequate protein but not excessive). Women find it much harder to gain muscle because they lack the hormones that encourage fast muscle growth.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby phatcappy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm

loveat116 wrote:
phatcappy wrote:also if you are interested in building some muscle as well as losing weight, try incorperating around 1/4 to half your daily exercise routine to weight training. For example i go to the gym for around an hour and a half, i spend mabe 25-35 mins weights, the rest cardio.

Hope this helps

Weight training is great because it strengthens the muscles and helps retain muscle. However, if you are only eating like 1200-1600 calories a day its highly unlikely you'll build muscle.

And with protein, its recomended to build muscle you need 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. This is alllllloooootttt of canned tuna peoples!

Thats why Protein shakes are good, i saw 1 in the supermarket today that had over 50g per serve. Though i wouldnt recommend these unless you are actually going to the gym and working out.
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby phatcappy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:58 pm

molligrub wrote:You actually really don't need as much protein as what everyone thinks. Protein shakes and bars etc are overrated, most people get more than enough even when on a slightly calorie reduced diet. A general recommendation is 1g per kg of bodyweight, and up to 1.8g per kg of bodyweight if you are an endurance exercise freak or into heavy bodybuilding. What builds muscle is stressing the muscle with heavy training, then eating adequate calories for tissue repair and growth (ie adequate protein but not excessive). Women find it much harder to gain muscle because they lack the hormones that encourage fast muscle growth.

Such as testosterone. Which is why alot of professional female body builders shoot up on it.
Start Weight: 109 Kg's

Current Weight: 91.2 Kg's

Mini Goal Weight:90 Kg's

Ultimate Goal Weight: 83 Kg's
phatcappy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

50g of protein in one serve is way too much, in my humble opinion.. As molligrub said, you don't need stacks of protein because protein is the same as carbs, fats etc - you eat too much and it's stored as fat! I'd rather eat a can of tuna or a hunk of chicken or drink a glass of milk than spend extra money on shakes and stuff. :) But they're great for bodybuilders who really need that extra kick, cos without them, they'd be getting through like 5 steaks a day!!
zeedeveelgirl

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk