It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:06 am

Free Newsletter

weight loss tablets or pills

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

weight loss tablets or pills

Postby dan_L08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with all the fat loss supplements we see around. For eg, BLackmores has a metabolism advantage pill......or the FatBlaster pills.....

Also does anyone know some good detoxes! We all know how we feel now after the silly season, bloated as!

Postby Juddy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:46 pm

I have the fatblaster tablets... they just boost your metabolism slightly, but nothing dramatic.

However, I can't imagine any metabolism booster would work as well as exercising would though.

If you combine exercising and the tablets though, it would work a treat.

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:48 pm

I have used FatBlaster Max and still take them on occasion depending on how i feel. They work short term. For long term results you really need to change the way you eat and exercise, I've found. I have also tries the 4321 herbal detox tabs. personally no good for me.

I did the liver cleansing detox last year, Its tablets with a pretty much vegan type diet. I lost quiet a bit of weight on that but hey as i said no good for long term results, unless you keep eating that way.
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:46 am

I've been on Metabo extreme for 2 weeks now, don't know that its done anything but couldn't hurt! It is just a herbal metabolism booster and has gurana and stuff in it for energy too.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Postby SarahC » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 am

I've tried a few things like that in the past, and I don't think that they work at all. Personally, I would now rather keep my money and put it towards my gym membership, which I think is much more effective at raising my metabolism than any pills.

As far as detoxes, I reckon the soup diet is pretty good. I've done it twice. It's only 7 days as well, and much cheaper than a detox program, just have to buy up on fruit and veg. The recipe and instructions are on this forum... in "Diet Talk" in the thread called "different diets". It's the Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital diet :wink:

Postby dan_L08 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:54 am

thanks guys, yea i just fluctuate within 3 kilos or so of my normal weight, but it can sometimes be hard to get off.
So i was curious about the tablets and if they assist it at all

Postby Fireball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:44 am

It was on Current Affairs last week about the supermarket sold herbal weightloss pills saying they are a rip off. They were saying they should be illegal to sell as they don't work. The only ones that work are the ones sold by chemists. I think they may be on prescription.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Postby Mandie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 am

I've written on this before - basically, there is no magic product that will make you lose weight without diet and exercise and keep it off. If this existed, obesity would not exist.

Some tablets/potions may work for a short period of time but these are usually associated with restrictive diets and while the weight may come off quickly at first, people almost always regain the weight and pile on even more!

I think many prescription medications for weight loss are a bit difficult to use as well, and need to be supervised properly, and only used in certain circumstances.

There is NO substitute for a healthy lifestyle with plenty of regular exercise. There is no point looking thin if you are incredibly unfit and unhealthy.

Another point I was going to make was about the herbal remedies, tablets, etc.

A prescription or over the counter medication in Australia must satisfy two conditions before it is sold:
1. Must be safe to use (following the directions)
2. Must be proven to be effective in what it claims to do

A herbal remedy in Australia must only satisfy the first condition - it has to be proven safe but IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PROVEN EFFECTIVE. The fact is, most of the herbal tablets and remedies out there do NOT work for the majority of people and you just waste your money. They won't hurt you, just your hip pocket!

So be careful and don't look for the "quick" fix or the fast weight loss plans. You're much better off making small changes to your diet, living in a healthier way, increasing your incidental exercise and getting at least 30 minutes of proper cardiovascular exercise every day. You'll lose weight slowly, but you'll keep it off for life, and your immune system and heart will thank you a lot more for it!

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Hear hear, Mandie!

I've taken a few different things - Sugar Balance, Metabolism Advantage, etc etc, and they do nothing! Any losses you do have while you're on them would be from diet and exercise. As Mandie says, there is no magic solution, it's just hard work!

Return to Weight loss Talk