It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 am

Free Newsletter

Help - i'm feeling discouraged!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Help - i'm feeling discouraged!

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:40 am

Aaarrrrggghhhhh!!!

Ok, so yes, I weigh myself everyday, but I feel like it keeps me on track. This has what has happened since my last weigh in on Sunday. Keep in mind that EVERY day I have eaten well, I feel as though it is balanced in carbs, protein, fat etc without going way over but I rarely use CK to count cals. I have had a few treats here and there. I have also done a minimum of 90mins exercise a day.

Sunday - 61.8kg
Monday - 61.6kg
Tuesday - 62kg
Wednesday - 62.1kg

Why the heck is my weight going up when i've been working so hard???

Today i'm thinking of doing hardly any exercise to give my body a rest. Will just clean my paddocks and go for a short ride, probably all up will be 45mins or so.

Also going to eat very low cal/fat today to see if I can trick my body somehow - hey i'm desperate :oops:

I no longer trust the BF% and muscle mass on my scales either :x Monday they told me my BF was 11% (which I knew was wrong, but I jumped on and off several times) and my MM was 29kgs. Then on Tuesday my BF was 22% and MM was 21kgs - WTF???

I'm confused and feeling like i'm doing all of this for nothing! I don't feel bloated or like i'm reataining lots of water, I don't know whats going on. Please help!!!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby bferbear » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:59 am

How tall are you? 62kgs doesn't sound like you are overweight at all, and from the photographs you posted of yourself you could hardly be considered overweight.

My ex continually felt she was overweight due to the fact that her BMI had her as obese. The fact remained that she was a very healthy weight for her height and frame regardless of what some generic computation said.

It just might be that your healthiest weight is in the 60-65kg range and your body is responding to the healthy eating and exercise to get you there.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:05 am

Sorry hun, Im not a wiz at this topic, just wanted to give you big hugs and to hang in there .... Maybe Em could help you out here ?

*big hugs*
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby milkyway » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:38 am

Hi Fiona - read the thread on 'Muscle gain' in this forum. It will probably give you some insight into weight fluctuations - with your muscles holding on to fluid as they repair the damage and strengthen following a work out.

And ditch the scales! Seriously. Mine are broken too and it feels so good to know they're not there. I know you say you need them to keep you on track - but you didn't get a good result and now they're stressing you out which is NOT good.

It's natural for your body's weight to fluctuate day to day. Don't expect it to read continually less than it did yesterday!

If you're exercising and eating well, your body thanks you for it anyway. Scales just represent a number that we put too much stock in. Better to go by measurements and how your clothes feel than stoopid scales.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:39 am

I'm 5'5. I'm probably not technically overweight - I have a healthy BMI and all, am a size 10 etc. But, I do have some wobbly bit, mainly my stomach, big love handles and thighs. I do have at least a good 2kgs more to lose but mainly need to tone up.

I mean what if I wanted to lose enough weight to have lower end scale bmi and low bf %? This can be done and I want to do it so it should be working!!!

*Waits for Em*

Thanks guys :)

Fiona25

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:43 am

Thanks San :)

I will go have a look at that thread now.

I am just SO addicted to the scales its not funny :oops:

I feel like I have lost a bit when I look in the mirror. A little around my tummy and thighs but for some reason i'm not convinced unless the scales tell me i'm down :cry:

Its been over a month that i've been working really hard and I only have a 1kg loss to show for it :cry:

Just went for a cruisy 20min walk to clear my head.

Thanks again everyone.

Fiona25

Postby sassi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:04 am

hey fiona, those scales can be absolute torture, hey?!

as you only have a small amount to lose and are mainly interested in toning up, what about taking measurements instead? i know you had to take your belt in so maybe measurements will be an area where you'll see more change?

hang in there chicky! :)
sassi

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks Sassi :)

I get my monthly measurement done at Curves on the 19th of this month so i'm hoping for a big change! I will let you know what happens.

Fiona25

Postby molligrub » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 am

Hey Fiona, sometimes when you're already at a healthy weight, your body doesn't want to lose anymore and it fights you big time (from personal experience :twisted: ). Sometimes to get off a plateau you need to change things around - ie instead of doing a 1 hr walk, do a 30min walk/run. Increase the intensity of your workouts here and there, and try new exercises to keep your body guessing.

Sometimes what also happens is that you can lose centimetres during a plateau without a change on the scale, then you have a big drop.

As long as you consistently eat well (even 1 binge day can really set things back for us almost therers) it will come off EVENTUALLY. Also get enough sleep.

Molli.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby Mandie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 am

I agree with the others - muscle gain, water retention - loads of reasons! You are getting fitter and healthier everyday with all the exercise, and you are getting more toned and I know the measurements will show a big difference. Don't worry about the number on the scale!!
Mandie

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks Molli. Oh yeah, 1 big binge even if I go nuts with exercise and eat well the rest of the time, over 1 week I lose nothing!

Had no binges this last week. The only bad things i've had over a week is 1 turkish delight, 8 jelly babies, 2 WW ice-creams and a low fat pita bread pizza - spread out over a week!

I will up the anti on the exercise after today, which I will take lightly because my ankles feel really jarred. They did yesterday but I didn't listen :twisted:

And thanks Mandie! I'm getting at least 8hrs sleep everynight.

Fiona25

Postby shelbel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 am

Im a daily weigher too Fiona, i find a have a 'peak' in the middle of the my week then it comes down again. How long have you been weighing daily? Ive done it for my whole journey so i know when to freak and when it will come down again. Dont freak out yet! It might still head back down by sunday. Also in the lead up to TTOM i dont seem to go anywhere on the scales! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Gal Friday » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 am

After reading AJ's book, the plateau thing was something that she talks about a lot. She could run 7 kms, but riding a bike for 20 minutes made her super puffed. In order to keep losing weight and to tone up when she was plateauing she needed to change her exercise, not just up it. That seemed to be hte thing that helped with those last few kilos.

Also, do you do weights? They may be better for toning rather than just more cardio?
Gal Friday

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks guys.

I mostly do cardio, I do some upper body weights at home a few x a week and they have resistance type weight machines at Curves.

I am going to enquire today about martial arts class to mix it up even more and it will be fun too!

Right now its a mix of walking, short spurts of running, horse riding, swimming, upper body weights, sit ups, push ups, fitness circuit. So what they hey, i'll throw martial arts into the mix :lol:

Shel, i've been weighing daily for a good month or more. I too go up middle of the week, then do usually come down on Sunday BUT i'm so sick of these tiny little weekly losses, I want a big one for a change!!!

I do this everyweek around this time Shel (worry that is), but you just made me realise that this might be my bodies pattern - I never thought of it like that :oops: so thankyou!

Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 am

That must be very frustrating. Similar to what's happening to me at the moment! Losing weight when you're already at a healthy weight is and excruciatingly slow process!!! :(

Like you said, maybe a day of rest can't hurt, just in case your body is getting used to the level of excercise. Apparently (although I've never tried this :roll: ) after a day off your body burns up a whole lot extra calories than if you had just worked straight through...

Also, I learnt something very interesting recently regarding losing the last bit of body fat. If your body is overly acid (it's meant to be slightly alkaline), acid wastes get stored in the fat tissues, to keep them away from your important organs/tissues. So, if you start to eat an alkaline diet, your body no longer has a need to store excess acid wastes, so it no longer needs to keep the fat... so it's easier for the body to release the fat then. If that makes sense! General rule of thumb is that alkaline-forming foods are high in water content, so basically fresh fruit and veg. They say at each meal, 80% of your plate should be made up of these foods. I do try to abide by this, but generally I don't succeed haha :)
SarahC

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk