It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Personal Trainer (sunshine coast) love 2 talk about anything

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Simon Says » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:35 pm

ok, hey, thats ok..
well is it ok if i say..

i have a website, just click the www at the bottom of my post..
and if you'd like to discuss anything i can offer as far as long distance trainer help, like writing programs, nutrition etc..

we can talk through email.

is that ok..?
i really didnt mean to get under anyone's collar..
sorry.

Hope this clears things up.
Simon Says

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:37 pm

for ages now we've had people come thru and they end up just selling there business here rather than giving advice thru what they have learnt, when i do my fitness courses anything i learn will be up for free for any one that asks, nothing bad towards ur self but we're here to help eachother for free, but on the other hand, welcome and hope the advice u give helps us all.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Simon Says » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm

hey,
yeh i agree.

advice is free, and is exactly why i'm here too.

the only reason i put up any info at all.. which i'm starting to think i shouldnt have..
was i had people interested, and ask.. through email.

and i didnt want to look like i was only giving my time to one or two people..

i'm still here to offer as much free advice as i can, pleae i hope anyone reading understands.. :-)

it was only for those that say,
'hey can you work with me more one on one, with more attention to detail'.. as if i was their trainer.

Questions, advice, feedback.. anything.. i'm still here to answer for free..

I really hope i havent gotten the wrong idea across.. which..
i guess it seems i have..
cos i'm not in it for the business..
i'm only in it for business, when someone demands the time from me.

I hope this straightens things out, and everyone has a wonderful day.

Peace.
regards
Simon.
:roll:
Simon Says

Postby Karnak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Simon Says wrote:and if you'd like to discuss anything i can offer as far as long distance trainer help, like writing programs, nutrition etc..

through email

Thats fabulous - but can't you do that on here and not via email ?. The insight you could give us could really help. We all give our time here to help the group as a whole perhaps you could do that too rather than just offer us a paid service.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Simon Says wrote:cos i'm not in it for the business..
i'm only in it for business, when someone demands the time from me.

:? ... offering advice for free is great, that's what the forum is here for. Offering advice with the hope/expectation of receiving something back, not so great... :?
SarahC

Postby Simon Says » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 pm

yes i can.
haha.

ok let me break down what the service was..

when i have a client here,
- we train weekly, we do nutrition each week, we do goal setting, i really get to know things about that individual so we can chop and change the programs, plans, goals, etc, as we go, a very personalised thing, that isnt just a ..

"here, go do these exercises.. you'll lose so many kilos.."

- i like to get to know my clients lifestyles, habits, eating, emotional changes.. anything that can help me to assist them, as an individual..

As far as watching everyone in a group here, offering advice for things, Yeh, great, definitely..
There are things though, that are going to be different in every case, with so many different facts.. that take a little time to work through..
plus the sheets i have done up here for my clients, programs etc.. my service was to offer them too, etc..
but i won't go into it.. as

Thats not why we're here right? :wink:

OK, everyone.. pretend i never said anything about offering a service for long distance pt help..

I'm here for everyone, and to help everyone with any advice i can..
for absolutely no expense..!

haha.. wow.. such a response, to something i didnt mean to be out of hand.

Ok, next question..
I'm kidding, please, do ask, i wont mention services again.
Simon Says

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Sorry Simon, it just didnt feel right. I am glad that others agreed with me and that I wasnt just being a bit tough! I guess I just feel that most of us join this forum because we want to lose weight, talk about how we feel etc etc. There are a lot of places out there that I can get paid advice, but not so many where I can get advice and thoughts from real people who are here for the same reason that I am.

When a PT posts and within 10 posts has already "started" a new business it feels in a way that you have come here solely for that purpose. Which is making money off of the people on this forum.

Now I am happy for you to say that that is not the only reason you are here, but that is why I am suspicious. I dont understand why someone would join this forum if they werent on the journey of getting healthy and losing weight themself. Am happy for people to correct me though!
Gal Friday

Postby Simon Says » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:22 pm

and yes, i fully agree with you.

i have never talked in a forum like this before, and really didnt mean to offend anyone.

i am here also to just discuss people, their goals, their progress etc..

and offer anything i can from my point of view as a trainer.

people asked me through emails, for long distance pt help..
and i didnt realise telling people yes i can do that, was going to have such an effect..
the service was only for those who wanted my time to write programs each week, and detailed nutrition and goal plans..
something that demanded more in depth time..

Other than that, nothing has changed here with me answering questions.. i'm not going to say,
hey, wait, might have to invoice you for that.. haha.. :lol:

Seriously.. if everyone can please understand,
it's a huge misunderstanding,
if i seem like someone you'd prefer out of this forum,
please let me know..
and i can remove myself, cos it's not about me, but about individuals like yourselves, accomplishing great things.

So,
i apologise, again. :oops:
if its ok, has anyone got a fitness question now..? :)
Simon Says

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:50 pm

i so see how someone nice can come in here with a job that can offer us very welcome and good advice, sorry that it might of come over like anything u can help us with isnt gonna be welcome but i was just letting u know why others might not be so welcoming. o well now that we have that all out, someone had asked where u did your training? im looking into a group fitness course, any advice u can give as the good and bads of doing that course.?
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Simon Says » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:34 pm

did you want to know where to go and learn to become a PT..?
Simon Says

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Yeah I give advice to people all the time over PM, but I never advertise it. People on here know I'm a PT and they know they can always PM me if they have any questions..

Thanks for the offer of advice, I'm sure people will take you up on it :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 pm

i was looking at going through fia as i have some people around here who have gone through them,
but just wondering what u thought of fia, can give me any pro's or con's for doing group fitness over personal training, what sort of stuff id need to know to help pass the course etc. And do u know if u can do a actual fitness course for getting kids fit? thanx, deb
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Hey Simon,

Apologies if I have come across all hostile-like! Thank you for clearing that all up! I am sure that you have a lot of good tips for people!

Nat
Gal Friday

Postby Bri » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:58 pm

I've got a question, my DH has a weight issue now he is pretty active he plays cricket in the summer and he has recently taken up ballroom dancing and he walks heaps at work but

he has shocking eating habits and I have been trying to get him to support me which is so not happening by avoiding all those bad for you foods like donuts, coke (although I have no problem with that these days) he rarely eats breakfast, when I make dinner with vegies he rarely eats the vegies (the rest of us do) and he rarely drinks water in fact he reckons when he changed to just drinking water (instead of soft drinks) which was like for two weeks he put on weight etc

How do I convince him to change and to maybe consider doing an extra activity during winter or taking up the gym.
He also once had a bad experience with a PT a few years ago who gave him some exercises to do which hurt his arm and he had to cut back on his cricket because of it .

So yeah basically how do I gently help him I am so worried about his health and a radiographer has told him because of his weight and him palying cricket he has early onset of arthritis in his knee which would improve if he lost weight.
Bri

Postby Simon Says » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:10 am

to answer each..

> Soon2Bay
i did my course at the AIF - australian institute of fitness, and there are people who disagree with the idea that you can do a course in just 12 weeks.. but i'll tell you now, it was the best experience i've ever had, wish i done it years ago, and i learned so much.
Sure there is more you could learn doing a bachelor of exercise science, but knowing limbs, bones etc is only half of becoming a trainer whether it be group or PT..
Also, at the AIF they teach you everything for each of the topics you asked..
PT, group exercise, and kid fitness, you even learn Mature age training.. so i'm not saying it's the only or best choice, but it was a great choice for me, and i loved every bit of it, and thank the AIF for all my new knowledge.

--------------------------------------------------

> Gal friday
hey, no sweat... well only if your training.. haha
..ahh yes, terrible joke..
Yeh look, no harm done, i understand i was in the wrong, but am here to redeem myself with all the help i can ! :)
any fitness or health questions i can help you with..?

--------------------------------------------------

> BRI
Now.. hmm.. tough one..

Breakfast is important.. thats for sure.. i love breakfast, and trust me when i worked alot.. i use to skip it to.. my old job that was, before being a PT..

vegies, well unless your like me where you grow up on vegies, cos your mother is Vegies nut.. it can be hard to get someone to just start liking them..
you can try small subliminal methods like putting vegies in other meals, like lasagne, casseroles.. etc.. and see if they eat them in there.. or just simply if you have it with a steak or fish etc.. try cover the vegies in a yummy creamy sauce.. may get them hooked..?
other than that.. it's all emotional and psychological reasons that cause someone not to eat certain foods.. and trying to understand those reasons can be tough..
took me years to like avocado.. dont know why.. cos i loved gaucamole.. get that??? but know i eat avo on everything, love it, it's actually a really good saturated fat source which is good for you, so hey, the more the merrier for me.. haha.

as far as water putting on weight.. havent heard that before..
the hardest thing it sounds like.. could be beating.. stubbornness..
a bad experience with one PT, means that one PT may not have done best by him.. but we're not all bad.. :)
gym can be intimadating.. so finding another sport or activity he enjoys thats a little more constant moving than cricket, and no offense to cricketers..
like surfing, or swimming, maybe could you take him for little jogs around the place..? group activity can help to engage someone..

i'll try think of something for you, cos this is an important thing that he realises how Great it is to be fit and healthy, but to enjoy the outdoors, Live and experience things..
is there a mountain near you, you could go for a mountain Hike?

As far as the knee goes.. have you looked into Glucosamine?
i take it for my knee, but i get a powdered form from my local health food shop, its a little more potent than the tablets from a supermarket.. its great, orange flavoured.. take it with drinks, etc..

But strength training for that knee can help to.. if bones and joints are getting regular strength exercise that become a little weaker and more receptive to injury or pain..

If he could endure some exercises at home..
things like squats, jumpsquats.. could help.. i won't prescribe them for him though, cos i'm not sure how sore his knee is.. but you could maybe try the squats.. they are lower impact..

Anyway, keep in touch, and we'll see how we can try motivate him !

Peace.
Sim.
Simon Says

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk