It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

Personal Trainer (sunshine coast) love 2 talk about anything

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Hey Simon

I studied at the AIF too. I found it a bit rushed and vague, but not too bad! I think I'm the type of person that needs everything explained in loads of detail, and some of our presenters were like "oh, the sliding filament theory - just know the name, don't worry about it!" But you're right, being a good PT is so much more than knowing the names of bones, muscles etc.
I did my Cert IV in Massage and Diploma in Remedial Massage through the Australian Institute too, and they were much more in depth with the muscles, bones, etc etc. The Diploma was full on!!!

And it's funny, even if you have a degree in Human Movement, Exercise Science etc etc, you still have to get your Cert IV in Fitness to be a PT!!! You get a lot of credit though!

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Simon Says » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm

yeh, the AIF has gotten slack from people i've met saying..
"ohh there's no way you can learn what you need in only 12 weeks"
but hey, i did.. a lot came as logic, but new stuff like bones, muscles etc were great to learn..
and i'm always continuely learning now anyway, cos i like to.. so i think i got exactly what i needed out of it, and its helped me with exercises i do myself, ones i teach people, posture etc, eating habits, and even for the under 17 girls soccer team i coach.

So, i guess its all personal opinion.. and i'd agree if someone said a uni course that went for a few years you'd learn more.. well, obvious is key point there..
But to be strictly a PT, or group instructor, or gym instructor, and not a physio, doctor, chiro or anything else that needs the extra study.. i believe the AIF does a fantastic job.

thanks for the feedback matie.
Ciao
Simon Says

Postby carls » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:48 pm

i have a little question.

i am deciding if i should buy a heart rate monitor or not?

I really want one, but would like some opinions if its a waste of $280 (the polar one i want, thats pink!)
Image[/url]
carls

Postby Bri » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks Simon, I may actually offer to get him a membership at the pool as a early b'day present so he can go and have a swim and not have to worry about money.

As for the rest I'll keep in touch and let you know what happens. 8)
Bri

Postby GoddessInside » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:04 pm

Ive been following this thread with great interest ... So I will ask ...

Simon ....

Im a 29 yo female weighing 193.5kgs ... I am currently walking between 1.5km - 2km every second day but looking at incorporating other exercise into my regime.

What do you suggest ?
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby kittykat84 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi!

Thanks for offering your advice Simon! I have a question.... In March 2006 I tore my ACL and required surgery in June.. My knee has healed quite well with only occasional soreness but I am having some problems with my Hamstrings! The surgeon used the hamstring graft method for my reconstruction, using the gracilis. Consequently, my left hamstring is remarkably weaker than my right, and I can only flex to about 80 degrees. My question is, what can I do to help stretch out my hamstrings and get rid of the scar tissue collected around the leftover tendon?

Thanks!!!

Katie
kittykat84

Postby chubba momma » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi simon and how FANTASTIC Of you to offer your advice to us! It is truely appreciated.

I have a question on treadmills and exercise bikes..

Which do you think is better? And why?

I did have a bike but ended up getting a refund on it as it stuffed up and my sister has leant me her treadmill which is just a cheaper one from Big w, electric one, has 3 postition incline and speeds up to i think 13..

At the moment i am cluless at to what i should be doing intensity wise. I am ding it in 10 min bits here and there ( i have 2 kids one a baby so dont get too much more time in one hit lol) and its too nosiy to use when they are asleep to run (walking is ok) (i woke teh baby up running lol).. Any who i tend to do 10 mins jogging mid speed (7) and then a one minute "sprint" on 8 then if im up to it a one minute "spprint " on 9..then slowly jog down adn stop..

I am currently handling that ok (condisdering i havent jog in a long time LOL).. how often should i cahnge what i do?

Oh if this helps, i am 154 cm height currently weigh 73 kg
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk