It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Free Newsletter

Making good food choices instead of bad/fatty food

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Making good food choices instead of bad/fatty food

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:05 pm

Since I've been tracking what I eat I have learned that I have very little willpower when it comes to selecting the healthy alternative over a less healthy alternative. Some examples are:

- I go to a lunch and select the chicken salad from the menu, but when I go to order it comes out as 'I'll have salt & pepper squid + chips'
- I go to the deli around the corner from work to get a yoghurt and end up with a magnum icecream
- I go to the vending machine to get a diet coke, and end up with BBQ shapes

I just can't shake this habit, and it's killing my weight loss. I work 12 hour days in the city and don't have time to make my own lunch or snacks in the morning so rely on restaurants & food courts for most lunches and some dinners.

I'm interested to hear what strategies you guys/girls have when it comes to the crunch of selecting a healthy meal compared to a not so healthy meal.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjK6k6m/]
[/url]
Jordan

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 am

Do u have a fridge where u can make sandwich's, rolls etc and keep cold with bottles of water, yoghurt etc?
Do u have a microwave u can heat things up in?
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Mummyof3 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 am

hi Jordan

it does get better and better :wink: but I so know what you mean, sometimes I can be like this :)
- I go to a lunch and select the chicken salad from the menu, but when I go to order it comes out as 'I'll have salt & pepper squid + chips'
- I go to the deli around the corner from work to get a yoghurt and end up with a magnum icecream
- I go to the vending machine to get a diet coke, and end up with BBQ shapes
I know the exact samples, it made me laugh actually, cause it's so true ay..

However, I think what we need to do is start making the time. before you go to bed, make up your lunch.... I know sometimes we can get so busy and tierd, but it only takes like 10 mins to put a lunch box together.... I'd firstly encourage you to give that a go....

Preparation is always such a key when it comes to reaching our goals, belive me I have found my self in deep water, all because of lack of preparing...

Just a bit of thought...

Hope that helps a bit...
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby bferbear » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 am

I work 12 to 15 hours a day as well, and have always claimed I didn't have time to prepare meals, or go to the gym. I was simply justifying to myself why I couldn't lose weight. It was bollocks.

I make lunch and dinner virtually every day now. It takes 10 minutes. Whatever I have for dinner, a second serve goes into a container.

A bag of prewashed salad leaves from Woolworths, some cherry tomatoes, some capsicum diced, some cucumber sliced. Tin of tuna or salmon. Throw it all together and done. Alternatively steam cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and beans. Add a tin of tuna or salmon. Lunch taken care of. Dinner I would have some other form of protein (steak, chicken, lamb, fish) with the salad or veges.

I bought a bag of apples and a bag of unsalted cashews and put them in a desk draw. Snacks taken care of. It is simple if you want it to be simple.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 am

I agree with others who have said that you DO have time you just don't want to MAKE time! Seriously, a few minutes getting up earlier and you don't have to torture yourself at deli's and such AND you're saving money :D
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:26 am

I agree with everything that's been said, very good advice!! Looks like making your own food will be the best (and cheapest) option :wink:

But yeah after you've done it for a while it does get a whole lot easier. I gave up junk food many many years ago, so I wouldn't even think to buy it anymore. I have a friend who has a problem staying away from junk food when he goes shopping at the supermarket.... I don't know what to advise him, because I can't remember ever having that problem. I don't even consider that kind of stuff to be "food"! So, what I'm trying to say is, it will get better!! :)
SarahC

Postby Gal Friday » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 am

If there is a day that I have not had time, or have had nothing in the house (more often the case) I will go to teh grocery store and buy food for the rest of the days that week at work. I will buy some bread rolls or pita bread, salad stuff and some fruit and snacks and keep them at work. Keep healthy snacks in a drawer at work and your food in the fridge at work. SO many people do that here at work. It means that temptation is not there. The ONLY way you are going to make the right choices (by teh sounds of it) is if you remove the temptation. EVERYone craves something and you will never miraculously gain the willpower to overcome it if you dont already have that ability. But you can remove the temptations!
Gal Friday

Postby mimosa8 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 pm

make it the night before and make imain meals for 2 days.

Get plastic containers and store foods in them.

measure out the right amounts eg for nuts

Sandwhiches are good to take for work. Tin tuna / ham/ chicken whatever protein. salad in a pastic container. The bread roll wrapped up. put it together at lunch, sit in park.

or

Make meal/ hearty soup.. heat up at work.

Look up the calories or points in food, might make you have second thoughts about the food item you plan on eating.

have a cheat day once a week, eat magnum or chips or whatever. controlled. and really ENJOY them guilt free.
mimosa8

Postby Moomoo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:47 pm

For the last couple of weeks i've spent a couple of hours cooking on a Sat (yeah I know its the weekend!) but each time I cook a few dishes. I split them into 1 portion / 2 portion servings and then freeze them in take away containers (along with a sticker saying how many ww points are in them).
The night before I want one I take it out and stick it in the fridge It's defrosted and ready to heat when I get home from work. I have enough in there now that I don't have to cook at all during the week now (and probably not for the next month!) but they are all healthy meals with veggies and I have a big selection in there.
Makes life so much easier!
Moomoo

Postby Simon Says » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 pm

hey everyone.

Simon here, from Simon Says - Personal training.
i have another post in this forum to answer questions for anyone, so by all means check that out.

Now, Jordan.
Eating habits.. i'll admit they're tough.
And everyone thats put in their 2 cents is absolutely right, great ideas, getting up earlier, preparing food. Great advice.

But, jordan, i'll have to admit some things to you too..
i LOVE magnum ice creams
i LOVE bbq shapes
and you know what.. if you love these things.. why torture yourself into not having them..??

Here's something that works for me, and you know what, may not neccessarily work for everyone, but it's something that may help..
so try it if you like..

- if you buy your magnums from the same store everytime.. find a store, twice as far away from your work to get one..

why? - cos if you have to walk twice the distance, you've practically walked off the ice cream before you get back to work.

- same deal for lunch, toilet breaks etc.. find somewhere, twice the distance to use

why again..?
Put it this way.. if walking this far doesnt help to increase the amount of activity your doing, which helps you to justify easier the reason to eat that ice cream or box of shapes..
the pure distance of having to walk so far all the time, may help you to say.. you know what i don't really need to go all that way, just to get an ice-cream.. but you have to have the will power to make sure, you don't cheat and still use the nearest option..

i see it, as either way, you'll cut down, cos of all the walking..
OR, you'll be doing so much more exercise, that you can still enjoy those treats you love so much..

hope this helps, if not, then definitely use the others asdvice, or even a combo of both, cos definitely cooking extra the night before, or getting up earlier to make lunch are great ideas, to which i do myself also.

But lying to yourself that you have to give up things you love?
wouldnt you prefer to say, i still eat my magnums, and still am continuing to lose weight ?

Peace.
and good luck.
Simon.
Simon Says

Postby Bri » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Jordan I know how you feel and while I have changed a lot of my diet to be a lot healthier than what it is I still tend to (especially in the afternoon) make the wrong food choice by having a couple of lollies instead of fruit.

When it comes to your lunches why not buy pre-prepared stuff to take to work there is stuff like that out there that can be healthier buy a whole heap of small size salads etc although what Simon says is great I will be making sure I do that. 8)
Bri

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:51 am

I'm finding that the Calorie King website is the best way for me to make better choices. If I'm buying lunch before I leave my desk I type in what I'd love to have. It then shows me how many gazillion calories have just been added to my daily total, usually putting me way over my limit in just one meal. I delete it and type in a healthier option. It then shows me how many fewer calories the good choice contains.

I swear any time I go to the shops all I can see is that Calorie King orange bar hovering in front of all the food I'd love to eat!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jordan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the great tips! Definately going to try some of them this week ... I don't work in my office very often (I'm usually out visiting clients most of the time) so it is hard to just 'leave something in my drawer' or 'put something in the fridge at work' but I can definately put a little esky in the boot of my car with some food in it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjK6k6m/]
[/url]
Jordan

Postby HappyBella55 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:08 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:I'm finding that the Calorie King website is the best way for me to make better choices. If I'm buying lunch before I leave my desk I type in what I'd love to have. It then shows me how many gazillion calories have just been added to my daily total, usually putting me way over my limit in just one meal. I delete it and type in a healthier option. It then shows me how many fewer calories the good choice contains.

I swear any time I go to the shops all I can see is that Calorie King orange bar hovering in front of all the food I'd love to eat!

hahahaha that's brilliant :!:

I will definitely do this when I go out for dinners.

Loving Japaneses atm all these yummy soups and so low in cal.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby HappyBella55 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 am

Jordan wrote:Thanks for all the great tips! Definately going to try some of them this week ... I don't work in my office very often (I'm usually out visiting clients most of the time) so it is hard to just 'leave something in my drawer' or 'put something in the fridge at work' but I can definately put a little esky in the boot of my car with some food in it.

That's such a great idea. You can get some really good sized lunch-box freezer bag thingy.

I use one for work and it keeps my salads, yogurts and fruits nice and chilled.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Return to Weight loss Talk