It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Pilates

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Pilates

Postby Kareyn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Just wondered what people think about Pilates to help with weightloss.

Am thinking of starting a course and would like any info you can offer.
"How simple is it to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it isn't now!"

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnttvZ0/]
[/url]
Kareyn

Postby Moomoo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:59 am

I did it for a while (I wasn't dieting at the time) I found it EXCELLENT for toning my tummy muscles! Not sure on the weight loss bit though. I actually really enjoyed it too and thats saying something for me!
Moomoo

Postby Karnak » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:54 am

I do Pilates in addition to other cardio classes, runs, swimming etc and I love it. As far as calories burned an hours pilates isn't going to be as much as an hours walking however all movement is good movement. In particular Pilates has really helped me tone up, learn more about the muscles within my body and helps with core and posture. Also you feel soooo good at the end.

Highly recomend it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:02 pm

As far as I know Pilates is great for toning, but not much else. It's not really cardio and it's not really resistance work for building bulky muscles (though it does claim to build long lean muscles) - at least according to one fitness and weight-loss website I go to regularly! There may be other opinions out there. As Karnak said the important thing is that any movement is good movement and if you enjoy Pilates go for it. It's easier to stick to a fitness program you enjoy and Pilates can be very enjoyable! Plus I found it was a good appetite suppressant, like all exercise, so whenever I do a Pilates session I find I want to eat less which is great for losing weight.

And although Pilates is 'only' for toning, it is GREAT for toning! It's brilliant at developing your core muscles which give you better posture, help you hold your tummy in and give you better balance. I have a few Pilates DVDs and they're by far my favourite exercise DVDs.

I say give it a go. It certainly couldn't hurt your weight-loss and you may end up loving it!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk