It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 am

Free Newsletter

Possible or Impossible???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Possible or Impossible???

Postby Sarah81 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi All

I really want to lose 10 kilos by my birthday (16 Feb). I get weighed on a Friday and there is 5 Fridays until my brithday and therefore requiring me to lose 2 kilos per week.

Do you think that this is possible or impossible??

Any suggestions on how if possible other than dont eat??

Thanks, Sarah :D
SW: 142.8kg
CW: 102.3kg
GW: 68.0kg (Completion date aim Aug 08 )
Sarah81

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

It's really recommended you only lose between 0.5 and 1kg per week. Theoretically you could lose more, but it would be difficult and could result in saggy skin because it wouldn't be shrink quickly enough to keep up with your sudden weight loss. Plus dramatic weight loss usually results in dramatic weight gain after you go off the diet.

It's probably better to aim at slow-and-steady weight loss. But if you're determined to lose 2kg per week I'd do it under the advice of a professional Personal Trainer. They'll make sure you do it in a healthy manner and with enough toning exercise you'll probably be able to avoid the saggy skin.

Just my two cents. Others may have different advice for you!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby loveat116 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

You could probably lose that amount.

But I guarantee you most of it would be muscle and water.

If you want to lose FAT the most your gonna lose per week is generally 1kg.

If you starve yourself you'll just lose muscle and not a lot of fat, thus slowing down your metabolism. So when you eat normally again after your diet you'll put the wieght back and have a higher body fat %.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby hotmumma » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Hmm, try if you wish, but just don't get disappointed with yourself if it doesn't happen. Always remember any loss is a great achievment.
It is possible, just wouldn't be the healthiest option.
I'd really like to loose 5kgs by the 5th of Feb (have a dress i'd like to fit into that night) but really don't have my hopes up.
Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wYcM3jX/]
[/url]
hotmumma

Postby jodie259 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Hey Sarah...

My birthday is the 14th Feb... and I would love to lose 10kg... but I know I wouldn't.

As the others have said, setting that sort of goal is either dangerous or setting yourself up for failure.

In a 5 week timeframe you should be setting a total of 2-5kg weightloss goal. That is achievable. If you lose more - it's a bonus!

I think a better idea would be to aim for a more achievable weight loss for the next birthday!

When I was 37yo, I wanted to be at my goal weight for my 40th... and I was getting very close to my goal weight. But then I fell pregnant. So at 38yo I set that goal again - this time I was 25kg heavier :( But then.... I fell pregnant again!

I had a baby 7 weeks ago. I'm "lucky" I didn't gain too much weight with this pregnancy - but I'm still carrying the 20kgs from the last pregnancy! So I am way way off my goal - and I've accepted that I will be overweight on my 40th.

But I'm making it a goal to be slim for my 41st. Although I'm not going to set my sights on a 20kg loss in a year - as I don't want to get disappointed if I'm not there. So... I'll be happy if I can lose 10kg... or 15kg. And I'll be estatic if I can lose 20kg.

Good luck with whatever you achieve Sarah. Just don't do anything "silly" that will inevitably make you gain the weight again... and don't be disappointed if you don't lose 10kg. Even 2kgs is 2kg's lighter - which is better then gaining!

Happy birthday for the 16th. How old will you be turning?
Mum of 2
Shaun born 27/05/06 & Shelli born 26/11/07
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHe6RPO/]
[/url]
jodie259

Return to Weight loss Talk