It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Free Newsletter

LETS BE HONEST WHEN DID WE REALISE WE WERE FAT!!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:21 pm

I haven't so much decided "Thats it I need to lose weight", as slowly recognising, mainly due to increasing body pain, that I do need to do something. Over the years there have been a number of times when I see a photo of myself, I think, yeeks I look fat. But years ago I had depression and I couldn't hold a smile long enough to take a good photo. I was so sad my face always looked twisted and ugly, so although I didn't like the fat photos they didn't activate me emotionally.

I did have a shocker but...
In 1994 a few of us decided to go skydiving. When we booked they asked for our weights. I didn't like to admit I weighed 84kg especially as the person booking was tiny and slim. On the day I had a ball and almost forgot about my weight. Despite being married, being strapped to a handsome, athletic man didn't seem a bad idea. Well we made the jump. Exhilirating. Free fall. Wow. Having a go at controlling the chute on the way down, what an experience! After our landing, which was fast but fine, the Skydiver commented that we had come in faster than he expected, he sounded a bit disconcerted. A few days later at home, we found out our bathroom scales were wrong. The more you weighed the more wrong they were. For my thin son it was out by 5kg for me 10kg. Boy am I lucky the Skydiver was experinced, I weighed 94kg not 84! We could have really landed in a heap. Afterwards I thought, I bet they think I lied. :(

BTW I looked fat on my video. My friend edited out the worst bit - it mucked the music up a bit but i was glad it was cut. Still I was proud of me that I did the jump.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Bri » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:14 am

For me it was the good old photo that was the deciding factor.

I had been going to the gym regularly since early last year as well as doing the butterfly program that was on at fernwood last year but I didn't really start being serious about what I ate till after me and my 18yo sister got some glamour photo's done together.

I had only one decent one that I looked ok in but the rest it really showed how big I am, not that I hadn't seen big photo's of me before but this was different somehow cos I wanted something special and nice for my hubby and what I got wasn't so great, especially as we also compared it to photo's I had had done when I was pregnant with my daughter and they were gorgeous and my 18yo sister commented we look very similar when I was skinnier like she is.

Now I just need to put up this photo to keep reminding myself why I am doing this as I really want to be healthier for me but also because my other sister (I have two) and my mum and my future SIL are all big so I figure if I can do it it might motivate them to do it.
Mum to three kids, second mum to my 18yo sister, and married to the biggest kid my DH. Also pet mummy to one dog, two cats and three fish.
Bri

Postby Gal Friday » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:55 am

I have always known. From kids teasing and what not to looking at photos to not being able to shop in normal stores. To excluding different careers that I would need to be fit for. It has always been something.

But a bit over a year ago we went to the Gold Coast. I went with some kids for work (long story) and we got on a ride and I had to get off as the bar wouldnt shut. HUMILIATED. As I knew so many people there. Got off and wanted to cry. A month later I was back there again with some friends and my partner. Glenn and I went to Dreamworld and there were a few rides I couldnt go on. I didnt want to even go up and try as it was too humiliating. I felt awful. Suddenly it wasnt just how I looked. It was now stopping me from doing things that I loved. Wake up call. We joined the gym a month later. This lapsed, but we are back there again.
Gal Friday

Postby Jane85 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 am

I haven't really had one single moment as such that has made me want to help myself, but there have been several times recently that have made me get serious about sorting myself out.

A pic of me and my 8mth preg sister was taken at christmas 06...our bellys were nearly the same size :(

Walking into a skinnyminny clothes shop with a friend and looking at just the sunglasses and shoes for 45 min when they look at clothes also has worn pretty thin,

And also unwanted advice/comments on weightloss, and what not to eat from who I think are probably well meaning people,

A build up of this crap did it for me, also there is some cancer gene or something doing the rounds of my family at the moment, but although it seems to be a hereditary thing, and clean living family members are getting stuck down (my dad and 3 of his siblings & both parents in the space of only a few yrs...all with us still thankfully) I would think that by reducing my weight and can cut down my risk a bit.

Sorry for such a long ranting post, but the more I typed the more that came to mind and the more wound up I started getting...phew!

I do feel good getting that off my chest.

I must be off though, Im babysitting my nephew this morning, and I thinks he has just woken up.
Jane85

Postby Chrissie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:18 pm

:roll: I think you know when you are fat, when your friends constantly say to you "Oh,have you lost weight?", think of it this way, they wouldn't be saying it to a skinny person would they! Another classic comment it when people say, oh you look much more healthier now that you've on weight...what's that all about?
Put yourself last and you will achieve nothing. Make time and believe in yourself and you will be amazed what you can achieve
Chrissie

Postby Jane85 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:22 pm

Chrissie wrote::roll: Another classic comment it when people say, oh you look much more healthier now that you've on weight...what's that all about?

Hahaha I'm soooo with ya on that one :P
Jane85

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Ive had few.

12 i was at the doctors and he gasped when he saw my weight at 71Kgs. Then told my mum i needed to lose weight, right in front of me.

17 when I couldnt tie my shoe properly and decided to jump on the scales and being sooo close to 100Kgs

And late last year when i jumped on the scales and realised id ruined all my hard work, 92 Kgs (also clothes werent fitting and I was finding housekeeping at work REALLY difficult)
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby rivenriver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:03 pm

That swimming teacher is disgusting and ought to be sacked.

You don't tell a 4 year old kid that they are fat!!!!!!!!!!!

SarahC wrote:First let me say.... I'm not fat, and I don't think that I am fat.

But the first time that I felt self-conscious about my body, I was very young, probably only about 4 years old if that. I was at a swimming lesson and we were all lined up along the edge of the pool. The swimming teacher walked along the line-up (true military style lol), stopped when he got to me, tapped my tummy and told me to hold it in :shock: Then when I got home, I looked at a photo of myself (which my parents still have on display btw) and noticed that my tummy was poking out and the top I had on was quite tight around that area.

So from then on I guess I just felt how different my body was from other people's, and that it was somehow not good enough. And have always felt aware of every little bump and bulge (even though I am the only one who can see it or feel it) :(
rivenriver

Postby Tummygirl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:15 pm

If I was the teacher i wouldnt be telling any child no matter what age they where fat. The fact there at the swimming pool shows there getting excerise..

rivenriver wrote:That swimming teacher is disgusting and ought to be sacked.

You don't tell a 4 year old kid that they are fat!!!!!!!!!!!

SarahC wrote:First let me say.... I'm not fat, and I don't think that I am fat.

But the first time that I felt self-conscious about my body, I was very young, probably only about 4 years old if that. I was at a swimming lesson and we were all lined up along the edge of the pool. The swimming teacher walked along the line-up (true military style lol), stopped when he got to me, tapped my tummy and told me to hold it in :shock: Then when I got home, I looked at a photo of myself (which my parents still have on display btw) and noticed that my tummy was poking out and the top I had on was quite tight around that area.

So from then on I guess I just felt how different my body was from other people's, and that it was somehow not good enough. And have always felt aware of every little bump and bulge (even though I am the only one who can see it or feel it) :(
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby rivenriver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:16 pm

I've never had a moment. I've known my whole life I am fat.

I don't let it stop me though.
rivenriver

Postby Sas » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:50 pm

I've had a few moments where I've realised I was fat...

Over the last couple of years my weight has been very up and down due to serious sporting injuries which have prevented me from exercising for 6 month periods.Before I was injured I was happy with my body and that is all that I want to get back to.

After my first injury I realised I was fat when my summer work clothes didn't fit. It was a very sad morning for me. But I got motivated once I was allowed to exercise again and lost all the weight.

Then I injured myslef again. I knew I was fat when I tried my hockey skirt on and couldn't do it up. I managed to loose most of the weight for my wedding which was in Jun 2007 then I got lazy.

In October 2007 I weighed myself one morning before work and I was the heaviest I have ever been. I felt so disgusted with myself that I had been so lazy and let it get as bad as it did.

So now I'm back on track and motivated!

My aim is to loose all my weight before the start of the hockey season and be back to full fitness by then too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby Tummygirl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 pm

I have always been a bit chubby so I never really worried about so much when i was a teen. Its only been the last year or so that I have let myself go and noticed more. Biggest thing that makes you notice is when you go up a size in clothes.

Photos have also been a big thing that made me notice as well. I went to the snow this year and had a photo taken with my partner. My belly looked huge and so that was a big shock for me.

With my journey Im not looking at just loosing weight but my health as well. I like wakeing up in the morning and feeling fresh and not a lump. I try not to get on the scales more than once a week (Verry Hard) but i find i loose sight if i dont loose lots, so now i look at measurements and how my clothes fit too.

But yeah Photos and clothes size are always the wake ups for me.
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

about 2 weeks ago...

Postby big_love » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I have always known I was "fat", but i had my epiphany about 2 weekends ago. I was in Mcdonalds (you might think thats a usual for me, but coming from the bush, there are no takeawaqy franchises where i live) after a 21st we went to out of town. After consuming a triple cheese burger, a large choc sunday and a large frozen coke, i went to the bathroom, and caught a glimpe of myself in the window. I was Fat, swollen, tuck shop arms, sweating, bulging stomach...it was just horrible. I looked like a gross pig. And it was one of those nights where you think you look pretty awsome, and then realize that you look like [email protected]

next day I decided to get healthy, and here i am...

and thats my sad story :(
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:20 pm

At 73kg and 170cms tall, I don't necessarily think I'm fat...but I'm definitely heavier than I could / should be.

Looking at photo's of me while I was travelling through Europe for the last 2 years, and other people wanting to see them is awful. My partner also recently picked up that whenever i have photos taken with other people, I hide behind them so you can only see my face and not my body (my partner wasn't moking me - it was a completely innocent observation that only I thought more of!).

Realising that I could healthily lose 10kg was also a bit of a wake up call.

That and the fact that I have so many lovely size 10-12 clothes that I no longer fit into....for now anyway! Watch this space!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby hysterical_oliver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 pm

I've always been overweight, my mother took me to Jenny Craig when I was 9 years old for #@!$ sake... I went to Japan for a year and was forced to walk a really long way to and from train stations to get to school (stupid host family lied and told me there was no public transport...LIARS!!) Anyway I was 97kg when I went at 15yo and I lost about 15kg over the year. Slowly got bigger until I finished school at 18 and stabilised (or so I thought lol) over the next few years. I tried on my old school skirt a couple of months ago and I couldn't even do up a single notch of the zipper!!!! ouch... And the photos of my god son's christening... blurrrgh!!! Everyone wanted to see them and they are horrible, as if it would surprise them they see me all the time... Anyway the combination of the photos actually showing you what you look like and the BIG school skirt nowhere near fitting me was enough for me to want to shake it up and there's no stopping me now!!
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk