It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Free Newsletter

What was your definining moment to lose weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

What was your definining moment to lose weight?

Postby Groovychic » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:56 pm

I was thinking about what made me suddenly decide that this was definitely the time to lose weight. And for me, it was trying to put some pants on New Year's Eve. I did them up but they were way too tight!!! They were very uncomfortable and I had to resort to something else to wear. I thought my gawd I have put even more weight on!!! And I guess being a new year it became my new year's resolution. My girlfriend, who has lost 7kgs so far this year, decided that next year she was going to be 40 so she didn't want to be fat, frumpy and forty she told me! So what was the "moment" in your lives that told you that you had to do something about it???
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:08 pm

I went to a friends engagement party.
My mirror never showed the truth but the photo's of the engagement party definitely did :oops:
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:01 pm

Getting my wisdom teeth out. I just figured I had to take a break for a few days and it was the end of my honours year and was the first time I would have had a chance to just do nothing for a few days. i guess it just represented a break from the past and the start of a future. I had weighed in at 107kg before the surgery and decided I was going to lose it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:46 pm

For me, it was a number of things:
* Sept '05, I was referred to as somewhat overweight in a health report. I was shocked as I didn't think that's how people saw me;
* Oct '05, I couldn't fit into what I wanted to wear to my Granma's funeral;
* Dec '05, wanting to be swallowed up at Xmas time, boy had I packed on the weight over the past year!;

and through all that time I could only fit into about 1/4 of my wardrobe - I couldn't chose what I felt like wearing but had to choose between what I could fit into!

So at the end of December, fat and miserable, I decided as of 1 January 2006 I was going to lose weight once and for all and that it had to start now, no more excuses, and so began my FINAL weightloss journey.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Fairie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:10 am

Seeing myself in a photo at my parents 50th Wedding Aniversary last year. :shock: :shock: :oops: :(
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby hushpuppy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm

Photos of my self at the beach . :oops: i looked like a whale washed up on the shore . An just recently at uni they have chairs with little desk thingy's that swivle .I have some trouble sometimes cause my belly pushes them away LOL i have to hold on to it to stop the books sliding
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:28 pm

yeah those desks suck. I always had trouble if someone sat next to me I'd have to shift a bit so they could get their little desk bit.

Not to mention the chairs are really uncomfortable. After a 2 hr lecture my back would be killing me.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:31 pm

LOL absolutely . I have to say to the person "excuse my chubby legs "when they gotta slide the desk out and u are so right about the chairs . I thought my back was sore from my backpack but now im sure its the chairs
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby carleyjt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 am

I embarked on my lifestyle change because i was sick of shopping and clothes not fitting. I wanted to walk into a shop and pick something off the rack and buy it without trying it on. I want to feel sexy in a swimsuit. And to be totally honest i wanted to be noticed every now and then by strangers. All completely selfish reasons :D
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby Groovychic » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:50 am

They're not selfish reasons Carly. I think all of us would want that really! I'm just so sick and tired of being plump and having the fat rolls!!! My partner said to me yesterday, hey your 2nd tummy is getting smaller.......hahaha. I don't know if others have it but my stomach is pulled in at my belly button and then bulges out again. His doesn't do that cos he is a bloke and wears his pants below his belly but women, well most I think, where them at their belly button and it pulls it in at that position. So if we all wore corsettes we'd be right.......hahaha. We would be very uncomfortable but hey I wouldn't have a 2nd tummy........hahahaha.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby serenity » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:35 pm

Ah, the defining moment! Its definately the photos! When you look in the mirror you always subconciously hold yourself in the most flattering way. But those photos! They get you at the WORST angles, and when i finally realised that THAT is how everyone sees me.... :shock: Arrraghh!
I dont want to be a fat person, i dont feel (inside) like a fat person, so i decided to do something about it. Doing well so far! :D
'To Trudge'
[/url]
serenity

Postby Jo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm

Well ..... In March I went down to Syd to visit a friend, as she is getting married and she has asked me to be a Bridemaid in her wedding. Well, the purpose of the trip was to try on dresses and get fittings etc etc ... as ya do ..... and I found I had to hold my damn breath to get a size 14 dress on, not to mention those 'sheer' type dresses not only showing up ALL of my lumps and bumps, but magnifying the [email protected] .... this totally shattered me as I am not a tall person by any means, and the heaviest I have ever been was 69kg's ... Well after the day was over I felt like balling my eyes out as I felt I had let her and myself down and I felt that I didnt really look as nice as I'd dreamed to for her to choose dresses. So upon my return I joined this forum and the rest is history.

So far my flow has been like this:
March 74.4kg :?
March 73.8kg :wink:
April 74.4kg :(
April 72.8kg :wink:

[center]The way I see it is I owe this to myself.
I know I will feel better inside and look better outside.
I know I will find my confidence again and I will also prove to myself that I can keep my promises to myself and avoid letting myself down only to beat myself up about it. I can only control myself in this world and it's best that I focus that energy inwards instead of wasting it on external things and others expectations ![/center]
[/url]
Jo

Postby KimE » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:16 pm

For me photos are a big thing...can't believe I am this big. Like others on here I don't feel like a big person until I see my photos. I used to say if I got really big I would do something about it...well that time has arrived and it has taken me 6 years to really start doing something about it.

Oh and the embarrassing but oh so helpful BMI's that put me in the obese category :oops: I'm a shorty you see!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

What was the turning point?

Postby Livy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:54 am

I think I have had so many turning points, but nothing has ever worked....
Things like, being told it's a 'shame' that a pretty girl like me is so 'big', and that being slim takes disipline!
Going skiing over easter, and the ski people not having a wetsuit that would fit me!
Buying clothes off ebay and thinking how nice it would be to go into the size 10 or 12 section.
Not being able to shave my bikini line because my stomach is in the road.
Wearing the biggest maternity bra available in Kmart.
Watching my sisters HOT boyfriend oggle all her other sisters except me the 'fat' one.
Going to meetings at the school and looking around to realize I am the ONLY fat person there, everyone else looks lovely.
Looking at myself in the mirror naked and crying uncontrollably at what I have done to my own body.
Realizing it is all self inflicted.
Livy

Return to Weight loss Talk