It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 am

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss and the pill

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Loss and the pill

Postby Tarz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:53 am

I have been on the pill since i was 16 (i am now 21 so 5 yrs) i never had any problems with weight gain when i started on it. I started on it to fight bad acne but now i am on it for 2 different reasons. 1. it means i get my monthlys monthly not whenever my body decides its time (i stopped for a year and i got them so randomly) and 2 because its extra security that i won't get up the duff any time soon.

What i really want to know is can being on the pill make it harder to lose weight? If i stopped using the pill would it be easier?
Tarz

Postby ali76 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi Tarz :)

I'm 31 and I've been on the pill since I was 17. When I first started I put on weight - but my diet was terrible too so I can't really blame the pill!

I think it depends on what type of pill you're on. If it's just a normal run-of-the-mill kind, I don't think it really makes much diffence. If it's an especially strong pill it might...?

I've probably not really been much help have I?! :roll:

In my opinion though, as long as you're exercising and eating well, you'll lose weight...the pill won't make that much difference!

Good luck!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Tummygirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:28 pm

I like you have been on the pill for a long time and for something different I decided to go off it and had a few problem with not gettting it regular.

I didnt worry about it to much but it worries me if i dont get it because i think im preggers. So I went to my gyno and found out that I was borderline PCOS I have gone back on the pill now but a lower dose and things are back to normal. But not sure what will happen when we are ready for bubbies.

excess weight can cause your period to not regulate but if you are really worried I see your doc just to be sure. :lol:
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby Nikerz82 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:07 pm

I agree will ali if your doing everything right, I dont think the pill alone will make you pack on the weight.

Tummygurl - If you are borderline PCOS, when its time to start making bubbies it may be as simple as just taking a pill called clomid, it stimulates ovulation, alot of people have success with this and your local GP can prescribe it. For me personally it turned me into a total nightmare to live with and didnt work, but im beyond borderline and need help from the fertility faries :wink:
Nikerz82

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:09 pm

I've had long stretches off the pill and then back on the pill. Any time I'm on the pill I find my appetite increases, I gain a bit of weight and my boobs increase in size slightly. The last one I can live with, but the rest of it gets a little annoying. Still, even though it makes me gain a little weight it's not as much weight as I'd gain with an unwanted pregnancy if I went off the pill!

If you're worried about side effects I'd talk to your doctor. They'll be able to tell you if your particular pill can cause weight gain and if there is an alternative that would be appropriate for you that doesn't have that unwelcome side-effect.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Tummygirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah I have heard of Clomid and hoping that will work for us. Where not looking to start a family yet, so im hoping that with my weight loss ill be able to fall myself. But thanks for the info.!!!

Did you find Clomid made you moody etc?
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Return to Weight loss Talk