It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 am

Free Newsletter

loose skin?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

loose skin?

Postby dba » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 am

how can you tell if your skin is FAT or indeed SKIN?

i'm almost 18 and i THINK i have loose skin around my neck, back and stomach.
when i stretch my back and neck it feels really uncomfortable for some reason so i tend to avoid doing it.

to date i've lost about 27 kg

thx all..
dba

Postby dba » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am

oops sorry for double posting..

by the way-> if it IS loose skin, how long would it take to disappear and is there anything i can do to speed up its removal?

i can't go to the gym or do anything like that because i'm doing my HSC :evil:
dba

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:08 pm

How long did it take you to lose that weight? Loose skin is often the result of a crash diet. If you lost weight at a sensible pace (0.5kg to 1kg per week) then it's probably not loose skin.

It's probably best to see a doctor to determine if it's loose skin or not. And if it is there's no need to panic just yet. In many cases the skin just needs a little bit of time to shrink and catch up to your new size, so wait a while and see if your body sorts itself out. Toning exercises help prevent and treat loose skin. Only severe cases need surgery and you'd definitely want to talk to your doctor before determining if that's the most appropriate path to take. There are many lotions and potions on the market that claim to help tighten skin, but the effects tend to be minor and only temporary. If you want to try them feel free, but I wouldn't spend too much cash on them because chances are it's just a fancy moisturiser with caffeine in it.

There's a really good article about loose skin after weight loss here:
http://afterweightloss.info/loose-skin

Good luck! I hope your problem sorts itself out.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Sorry, I should have been more specific with the toning exercises since you don't have time to go to the gym. Even just using hand-weights while watching the TV (if you have time to watch any TV), or using them one arm at a time while reading your text-books, would be sufficient. Or do a series of push-ups a couple of times per day.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby dba » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:36 pm

i've been losing weight since the last few months of 2006 but on some occasions i lost 5 kg per fortnight. ;/ maybe this is why i have loose skin?

thanks for the tips and info. :D
started weight-> 105 kg
current-> 77-9 kg
goal-> 65-70 kg

;PP
dba

Postby electrongirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:27 pm

luckily you are young so the chances of your skin bouncing back is greater. There is a really good article in the current Weight Watchers magazine about saggy skin.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby yoyogirl88 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:15 pm

speaking from experience and young skin, see the dr. It could just be un toned muscle and skin and even our young seemingly lithe skin does not go back to normal (my tuckshop arms are proof of that).

It gets better with care but the dr would be the best person to tell you how to improve that. GL with the HSC!!!!!!!
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Return to Weight loss Talk