It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:54 am

Free Newsletter

long term dieting is depressing!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

long term dieting is depressing!

Postby beau-peep » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:21 pm

i keep on hearing about people who lose heaps of weight only to put it straight back on again..... and that is probably a really good definition of me! i will diet for the whole week, crash (willfully) on the weekends, and then a few weeeks later i will burn out and eat really badly for a few weeks before i get back on track... i guess the whole idea of being on a diet for the rest of my life is kind of depressing! especially when it comes to things like chocolate and chips! because its just like... well... im never going to eat that again? =depressing much! just wondering if anyone else has the same problem/ any tips?
Katie :)

Re: long term dieting is depressing!

Postby electrongirl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Tell me about it!!

I began my first weightloss journey when I was about 21. From then I have lost and gained aLOT of weight. Going from 55 - 90kg more than once.

I have spent most of my 20's trying to lose weight.

I have decided I am NOT going to spend my 30's doing the same thing.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby milkyway » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Katie - I understand where you're coming from. Probably the best way to look at this is from the perspective that you're not on a diet, this is a lifestyle change. And it's OK to have your favourite foods - cake, chocolate, ice-cream - whatever you fancy, so long as it's all in moderation :) If you deny yourself something, then you're more likely to binge on it.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby JL77 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:38 pm

I have also been on a diet on and off for the past few years. From 3 years ago I went from a 88kg to 72kg, and back up again. Its a very hard thing to do, so dont let it get you down to much.

I have discovered (and it took me years to actually follow this) that you shouldnt actually say your on a diet. Instaed of refering to it as a diet, why dont you say your living a healthy life style with goals along the way. That way you can make small changes in your life here and there and eat whatever you like in moderation without actually going on a DIET where you cant eat any of the food you want

its maybe worth a go

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2

Postby hysterical_oliver » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:59 am

I agree with milkyway, it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change :mrgreen: whenever someone asks me what I'm doing is it a diet? I always tell them no it's a lifestyle change. "Diet" is too constricting and it puts you in a bit of a negative mindset and it's just another rule to be broken. The key is everything in moderation, you can have a timtam, just not a PACK of them :D
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:25 am

I agree with the other ladies, this isnt a diet its a lifestyle change !

I first tried "dieting" in 1991 when I weighed 70 odd kilos, I was only 13. My aunty took me to my first Gloria Marshall session. Ever since then I have been dieting with no success, as I was "dieting". The weight just kept piling on until I reached my highest weight in November last year.

The one thing I learnt from the obesity clinic I visit is that it's not a diet, but a lifestyle change, this is the attitude I've adapted since starting this journey this time round. It has worked a treat ! The term diet is so depressing, whereas I've found lifestyle change to be motivating in itself as it doesnt have that negative stigma, if anything, any change is a good change.....right ?

Good Luck with your journey :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg

Postby Siana-leah » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 pm

i used to be in that same boat but i realised that i can eat the foods i love...i just dont need to have them all at once....and honestly how sick do u feel afterwards!
i think we have this idea in our heads that we cant have its almost like we say to ourselves "stuff eating that whole bar! i want it!"
just picture that little angle on one shoulder and the devil on the other.....
well...get rid of them and think to yourself that yes i can have that one piece and it wont blow my diet....
ill give you an example of mine.....
the last 2 weeks i had on 4-5 of the nights.....1 decent size piece of pavlova, a piece of carrot cake, 6 choc chip biscuits, a row of chocolate on most days....and ive lost 1 1/2kgs.....(keeping in mind i exercise 5 days a week, 3 being weight training).
there is no way a few short months ago that this would keep me on track....actually having these would usually send me into "well ive blown it!" mode....but now i dont think of it as coming off my healthy eating....its a part of it...only controlled....
it will come to you if you will it.....sounds cryptic i know but it will... :D

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm finding hypnosis CDs are helping me a bit with this. The problem is, as everyone has pointed out, that it's not a temporary change of habits - it's a lifelong change that you have to keep up. And if you like chips and bikkies and cake you don't want to give them up, and if your current habits tell you to binge then you don't necessarily want to enjoy them in moderation (if one slice is nice the whole cake must be better, right?) The book I've read says that you need to reprogram your mind to not just want to change, but to enjoy the change. The naturally thin people I know never seem to want that second slice of cake. They're happy with one. So I know I need to alter my mindset so that I only want one slice as well. Then it won't be a matter of feeling deprived or restricted the rest of my life, I'll actually be happy with one slice and couldn't imagine eating more.

(Not that I don't slip up of course. I made the mistake of making a 'healthy' chocolate cake for my sister's birthday on Sunday. Hence my obsession with cake references at the moment, and my guilt at having a few too many slices at the time! But for the most part it seems to be working.)

Postby ali76 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I agree with everyone too! Moderation and lifestyle changes is the key....being on a diet to me is a fast track to failing as they're normally WAY too restrictive, denying and too hard to keep to and once you 'fall off the wagon' you binge and put it all, if not more on!

The way I look at it is like this...I still have 7.5kgs I want to lose. I'll work my butt off (hopefully literally!) to get there and once I do, I can increase my calories and have some things I consider 'naughty'. The better I am now, the sooner I get to my goal and the sooner I have have a packet of chips!! :lol:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)

Postby Chrissie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:16 pm

I agree with the other comments - it's definatley a lifestyle change. If you put good things into your body you will deifnaltey feel better for it. Especially as you get older. when I was in my twenties, I smoked, drank, ate whatever and if I gained some weight, I would diet (or should I say starve myself) and lose the weight. Now that I am in my 30's I have high blood pressure and find it very hard to shift the weight. If I do not make my lifestlye change NOW - I will not be healthy enough to play with my kids or even see them grow up. So I made a decision to make the lifestlye change and the message for myself was to "grow up" and start taking responsibility for my own actions. Yeah I still slip up and eat the wrong things, however I allow myself to endulge now and again and then get straight back into my healthy regime. Good luck with your weight loss journey - you CAN do it :D

Put yourself last and you will achieve nothing. Make time and believe in yourself and you will be amazed what you can achieve

Return to Weight loss Talk