It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:44 am

Free Newsletter

Reaction to Weight Loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Reaction to Weight Loss

Postby hysterical_oliver » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 am

I never fail to be kind of shocked when people are surprised that my "diet" of choice is healthy food and working out! Society is all bewitched by lotions and potions and pills and people looking for a quick fix they seem very disappointed to learn that the good old fashioned way actually works!!! People ask me what diet I'm doing and are quite often shocked when I tell them "not eating crap and moving my butt". Anyone else surrounded by people expecting that you're using a quick fix?
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Re: Reaction to Weight Loss

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:19 am

Alot of people I have spoken too, think I am doing a quick fix by doing the shakes .... little do they know it's far harder than any quick detox / fad diet around.

Losing weight has become such an ill informed topic with society as we have shows like TBL, celebrities that advertise fad diets and all sorts of personalities jumping on band wagons telling us how this diet is great and that diet is fantastic etc.

Losing weight is so basic that everyone has allowed the above to alter their views. Exercise > calories consumed, simple really. I think everyone ( meaning society ) just needs to get back to the basics, they've never failed us before :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Jisgone » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 pm

ive had people come upto me and ask what tablet im taking! i wish haha
Jisgone

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Oh yeah, I get people asking me ALL the time "how did you do it?" and I'm like "oh you know, just watching what I eat, counting kilojoules and exercising". And it's like they're so disappointed that I haven't provided them with the miracle diet that would make them lose 10 kilo's overnight. :roll: :roll:
But one day these people will get serious if they really want to lose weight, and realise just how hard it really is :) I've been doing it for so long now and it's so much a part of my life that it's 2nd nature that I tend to forget how hard it is starting out. Because for some reason, when I first started Weight Watchers 3 years ago, I didn't find it that hard to change my habits. Instead I looked on the bright side, and found it fun to count my points!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby hysterical_oliver » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:12 pm

zeedeveelgirl wrote:it's like they're so disappointed that I haven't provided them with the miracle diet that would make them lose 10 kilo's overnight. :roll: :roll:

LOL hit the nail on the head!!! I've lost 30kg now but only a couple of weeks ago I got a smaller work uniform so it seems to have hit everyone by surprise (I guess no-one noticed me that much before either :roll: ) and they all want the miracle cure...

I didn't find it too hard to switch to a healthy diet either, variety is my key :mrgreen:
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby lng86 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:51 am

Emma - you took the words out of my mouth!!!

I only wish that there was some way to lose 10kg overnight without putting on 12kg the next morning!!!

Healthy eating and exercise is THE ONLY way to lose weight long term!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Tummygirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Id like to say i want all my weight to be gone in a click of a finger but i dont. If that where at all possible I would be scared that my eating habits have not learned to change and that the weight would pile on. I know im over weight and that looking good is something i look forward to, but i dont want any of that if i cant re teach myself how to eat. Learning when to stop eating and knowing that healthy foods and excersise are apart of life and not just for fitness freaks.

I get comments now that i have only lost a few kilos and I cant imagine what it will be like when Im near goal, but im happy to plod along at this pace and learn everything i need to know before i take my new body for a test drive. :lol:
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:34 pm

Tummygirl wrote:Id like to say i want all my weight to be gone in a click of a finger but i dont. If that where at all possible I would be scared that my eating habits have not learned to change and that the weight would pile on. I know im over weight and that looking good is something i look forward to, but i dont want any of that if i cant re teach myself how to eat. Learning when to stop eating and knowing that healthy foods and excersise are apart of life and not just for fitness freaks.

I get comments now that i have only lost a few kilos and I cant imagine what it will be like when Im near goal, but im happy to plod along at this pace and learn everything i need to know before i take my new body for a test drive. :lol:

I enjoy having done it myself but...I'd still like a magic cure lol *forever lazy* Gen Y NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Bri » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Luckily I haven't had too many comments about how I'm losing weight instead though I've had the opposite problem with my kids.

They keep telling everyone mummy's on a diet and don't seem to understand mummy's diet is ongoing not just a short term thing but a long term change of habit to better one's that hopefully the kids will pick up on as well. 8)
Mum to three kids, second mum to my 18yo sister, and married to the biggest kid my DH. Also pet mummy to one dog, two cats and three fish.
Bri

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm sure as time passes the kids will just think it's natural and hopefully take it all on board Bri 8) It's great to set such a fantastic example for them ♥
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 pm

MIL asked hubby today 'isn't she eating?' man that P'd me off! Like I only lost weight because i'm not eating??? WHATEVER!

People don't get that a healthy, balanced diet and plenty of exercise makes you lose weight!

It sucks when people are quick to assume to hand over the credit to some 'fad' rather than to the person that has worked so hard - YOU!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Return to Weight loss Talk