It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:08 am

Free Newsletter

Luck has nothing to do with it!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Luck has nothing to do with it!

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 am

The last week i've had 3 different people that I haven't seen for a few months or more tell me i've lost 'heaps' of weight, so that is great BUT:

One of them said 'wow, you've lost weight, you're so lucky'! I was like 'ummm, luck has nothing to do with it, i've been working my a$$ off and sacrificing so many things!

I'm sure they didn't mean it like that, but it was almost like I got 0 recognition for all my hard work, it was like they just thought I clicked my fingers and off came the weight, when in acutal fact this has been SO hard - disciplining myself, pushing myself to my limits, waking up feeling like my body has been hit by a truck etc and i'm "lucky"????

Do you guys feel the same if/when you get the "lucky" comment?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Re: Luck has nothing to do with it!

Postby molligrub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:40 am

I really hate it when people whinge at me and tell me that "you're so skinny you're lucky what are you worried about eating healthy for you make me sick" etc, when they really don't realize that I'm this weight BECAUSE I WORK CONSTANTLY AT MAINTAINING IT!!!!! It is hard work to maintain a healthy, relatively lean body, I'm not lucky because I'm this size, I'm this size because of sheer hard work and determination, and saying no to treats when I don't need them. Comments like that make me REALLY cranky. :evil:

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!

Postby GoddessInside » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 am

Its sad that alot of people think LUCK has anything to do with weight loss. It's a hard road to go down and an even harder road to maintain it. We need to educate them !!
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg

Postby shelbel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 am

I think it has to with peoples perception of losing weight, like some people seem to think they is some magic soluation or it happens like you win lotto, your weightloss number has come up!! :lol: And its probably part jealousy as well. No one wants to think its hard work! Plus i guess when people see a slim person they dont realise what it might have taken to get there and maybe too that the problems of life dont happen to slim people! Ive been guilty of thinking that, 'oh her life must be so easy because she's slim'
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:33 pm

I have to agree and disagree :D ...Disagree because luck plays a part in genetics. The lottery of birth has a lot to answer for :lol: Some people are lucky to inherit good genetics and other's aren't so lucky :cry: ... Agree because it is not to say not everyone needs to work at it, they do :!: Everyone needs to be eating good nutritious healthy food and exercising regularly.

Yes the majority of people have to work damn hard to attain and maintain a good body weight. I have since been observing the way "skinny" people interact around food and exercise. My friends are all skinny and they watch what they eat and the exercise regularly. Why? Simple really - they want to maintain a healthy size and don't want to put on weight.

Last night I was at my brothers for dinner. He needed to go to the 7Elleven. I asked him if he wanted me to drive him there (as me being the lazy one would have drove) and his response was "no, I'll walk. I need the exercise". This coming from a slim masculine man who'd spent the day trashing me in tennis - wtf :?: :?: :lol: I need to take a leaf out of his book.

At the gym I go to, everywhere you look you see slim people. When I do aerobics classes I'm usually the biggest in the class and sometimes this thought does cross my mind "why do they need to be here they are slim already". But then I realise the jealousy coming out. I don't know these women; at one point in time they could have been over weight and worked hard to lose the weight and are now maintaining.

So yes Fiona - Luck has nothing to do with it. Its about hard work, commitment and determination to attain a healthy lifestyle.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Postby JL77 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Its so easy for smaller people to make comments about us, they my think it makes us feel good, but adding certain comments like this just makes us feel like crap. I understand how you feel, keep up the good work. You deserve it :D

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2

Return to Weight loss Talk