It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kittykat84 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:44 am

Hey Everyone!

I think I have been doing well with my weight loss so far - losing 2kg in 3 weeks.I just did my measurements and from last week, I have lost 5.5cms in total all over. Since I began, I have lost cms from everywhere, except my arms, they just wont budge.

My question is, what can I do to make my arms smaller!! They are 38cm (measured at the upper arm) and I hate it! Any help would be great!!

Katie :P

Re: Arms

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:17 pm

Do you go to the gym or do you have any free weights at home? There are lots of weightlifting exercises for your arms.

Some free exercise for arms that I would recommend are push ups. They work your arms, back, abs, everywhere, they're great! You can do some tricep dips too - I'm sitting here trying to explain how to do them but can't think of how to put it! Punching air - jab with left arm, cross with right arm, pretend to punch a speed ball - bend at the elbows and bring your forearms in and circle quickly. Things like jogging (even on the spot) with swinging arms, star jumps etc will all help.

It could just be one of the harder areas on your body to lose weight, it might take a few more kgs before your arms start to slim down - it would be nice if we could pick and choose where we lost weight from!

Congrats on your loss so far, doing great!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm the same :shock:

No matter how much I work my arms the fat just doesn't want to be worked off there :twisted:

Just persist. My trainer says it takes up to 8 weeks to notice a significant change. Also remember that they will go down as there is less fat on your arms compared to other areas of the body.

The bod is funny like that - burns energy from places we don't focus on as 'bad' and the 'bad' places are always last to go :evil:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:56 pm

I've always had chubby upper arms. I'm finding that 1kg hand weights are helping tone the area a lot. Since the weights are so light I go for lots of repetitions to really work my muscles. I remember being told that light weights and lots of reps makes leaner muscles instead of bulking you up. So far it's working! The great thing about them is that I can sit on my fit ball and use them while watching the telly. It's actually quite fun.

Postby Sussy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:22 pm

Everyone worries about their arms i reckon. My hubby gave me some tips which i used to use when i wanted to tone them up for our wedding. (I now don't bother coz i have a bub who weighs 8.5kgs & I recokn that's weight lifting enough....heheh)

Anyway, he suggested using 2 tins of food, soup, baked beans whatever and with one tin in each hand and your wrists facing upward do some bicep curls bringing the tins up towards your shoulders. Repeat this 10 times on each arm (increase repetitions as your arms get stronger). Another one is with a tin in each hand bring the tins up to your shoulders and push them up toward the roof. Do this 10 tens on each arm. Another one is (do this one arm at a time) relax your arm so it's hanging by your thigh then extend it outward -sideways (hope this makes sense) Do this 10 times on each arm. Lastly leaning forward with one knee bent and one hand resting on that knee, with the tin in the other hand extend your backwards and up. Repeat this 10 times on each arm.

For a separate exercise stand facing backward against a benchtop with your hands resting on the edge of the bench, feet about 1 - 1.5 feet away from the bench. Bend your knees and go downward, do this 10-15 times, increasing as it eventually becomes easier. This is a great exercise for toning that baggy area on the upper underarm (The 'tuckshop' arm bit).

Hope all these exercises make sense, they do work but it will take a few weeks to notice any results. These are also great if you don't go to the gym or don't have any hand weights.

Good luck, and have fun. :D Cheers

Return to Weight loss Talk