It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Advice

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Advice

Postby thom85 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi folks, first post here :) so be kind to me please :P

Ok iv been loosing weight over the past few months, i was 85kgs and wanted to loose 10 kgs by jan. Well i have done this with great effect and even built a good deal of muscle as well.
Now at 172cm im not very tall, and i could do with loosing another 5kgs, so i thought id ask for some advice to see if im going about this the right way, cause i know it will only get more difficult to loose weight from here and my old methods may no longer work for me.

Ok just some background about me, im 22 male and im fairly healthy.
My exercise regime is 4 days a week weight training, 3 times a week kick boxing training.
With the weights, i spend around 30-45 mins and i always work up a sweat and do a intense workout. I have a 4 split workout so i only do one muscle group once a week.
With the kick boxing it varies from 1 hour up to 2 hours, and i burn up to 950 calories and have my heart rate up to about 190 and average about 140-155. I do skipping for 15mins, then stretches for 15mins. Then i do bag work and sparing for the remaining time including abb work, pushups, pullups and body conditioning.

My diet:
I start off with n apple for breaky, then about half n hour to n hour later i have a bowl of rice. ( i dont eat wheat)
For lunch i tend to break it up with n orange, and then bout half n hour to n hour later have a tub of diet yoghurt.
Then for dinner i have a microwave meal from wait watches or healthy choice.

How does this sound?
Any comments, advice or opinions on my workouts and diet will be most welcome :)
Thanks for reading my overly long first post.
Thom
thom85

Re: Advice

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Honestly I don't think your eating enough. Also those frozen meals are VERY high in sodium (salt) and aren't really that good for you.

I would suggest eating more for breakfast and lunch.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby thom85 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I was cooking up a stir fry each night, cause i love them and they are easy. But im only cooking for myself and it just takes so long to cook, clean and to me its not worth it. I just buy these meals and put them in the microwave and im done. They have around 300-400 calories each, so they arnt that bad.

What would u suggest me to eat extra at lunch? Im on the go at lunch and dont really no what i can eat, i dont eat bread and i think most snacks like muesli bars or nuts are not good for you if ur trying to loose weight.
thom85

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:34 pm

you could have a salad with tuna or boiled egg. You need some protein with your meals.

The frozen meals might be low in calories but the salt content isn't very good for you. Alot of "diet" foods are very healthy.

You might want to visit Calorie king and work out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. If you don't eat enough, sure you might lose weight but you can't survive like that and once you start eating more you'll just put the weight back on.

You need to eat sensibly and lose weight slowly. And you are doing alot of exercise so you need even more fuel otherwise you will burn out.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby milkyway » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Congrats on your weightloss to date. Fantastic effort :D

I don't think you're eating enough either. If you join a website like http://www.calorieking.com.au and input your details, it will tell you how many calories you should be eating per day. If you entered the food you eat, you will probably find you are waaay under what you should be eating.

There are 100s of foods you could be eating :P What about nuts or a tin of flavoured tuna with your rice or just as a snack on rice or corn crackers? Great source of protein. Low fat milk and milo or a protein drink... have a look around this forum too as there was a topic posted on the weekend asking for healthy snack alternatives.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby thom85 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for your quick replies.

i had a look on this site for snacks and i couldnt find anything. Is the search functionally correctly?

ANd thanks for the kind words on my weight loss. I originality lost around 25kgs a few years ago and got down to about where i am now, but then let myself go cause i was quite happy wit myself. This time around tho i want to be immaculate, wash board abbs kinda thing and i wont settle until i reach my goal.
thom85

Postby thom85 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks for your quick replies.

i had a look on this site for snacks and i couldnt find anything. Is the search functionally correctly?

ANd thanks for the kind words on my weight loss. I originality lost around 25kgs a few years ago and got down to about where i am now, but then let myself go cause i was quite happy wit myself. This time around tho i want to be immaculate, wash board abbs kinda thing and i wont settle until i reach my goal.
thom85

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 pm

If you have a look in the Healthy Recipe section there are quite a few threads in there about low calorie snacks.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jodie91 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Have to agree there is no way you are eating enought fo rthe amount of activity you are doing. By eating so little you are putting your body into starvation mode and lowering your metabolism which in reducing you weight loss.

I would suggest you do a big cook up on the weekends and freeze food rather then have too many frozen meals. You can also cook little snack like things to have for lunch and or breakfast.

For example Pineapple breakfast slice
1/2 cup s/r flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 cups rice bubbles
1/4 cup splenda
1/2 cup crushed pineapple in natural juice
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup pineapple juice

mix all ingredents together gentle
coat a slice tin with cooking spray and spread mix into tray
cook for 12-15 mins at 180
Cut into 12 peice

on WW each slice is 1 point

Or have Veggie soups which are easily made with a can of crushed toms and a nice mix of Veggies cooked until tender and can be blended for a smoother soup of left chunky.

Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby thom85 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, how does this sound for my diet:
I like my morning apple, so ill keep that the same and then the rice, and ill make sure i have a big bowl of rice.
Then have a morning tea of say about 1 large carrot or 2 small ones.
Then lunch have another apple + orange and say about 60 grams of cashew nuts (they are my favourite)
Then afternoon dinner have a tub of yoghurt.
Then my salty bad for me non nutritious microwave meal?

Because of my work habits i cannot eat a popper lunch, so only snack foods are practical.

Is that enough food? If thats not enough perhaps having a small bowl of rice before i hit the gym or kickboxing?

Also, i will start making up a Friday night cookup, iv been doing this lately anyway so ill make up a curry or something. Usallly i have more people eating then its not so bad.

Cheers,
Thom
thom85

Postby thom85 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:01 am

Also what muesli bars are good to have? Are the uncle Toby branded ones ok?
thom85

Postby hysterical_oliver » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 am

you are what you eat, you want muscles and to do that you need to incorporate more proteins. you might really want to try calorieking.com and see how low in energy your daily menu actually is. my estimate on your layout there would be about 1200 cal which is probably nowhere near what you need. try adding eggs and lean meats...?
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby electrongirl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 am

Just a question, and don't take offence. Why did you ask us for our advice when obviously you don't want to change what your doing?

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby thom85 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 am

Ok, ill add to my diet a protein shake, ill have that everyday, and i will start to add an egg to it and perhaps milo. I also have some whey protine that i can have after a gym workout as well. Ill have 30mins before a workout, and have rice n hour before a workout, say a small bowl. I have 2 protein shakes currently, 1 whey protein and one weight gainer. The whey is best used after a workout where the weight gainer is best used during the day and when i go sleep. They are low in carbs and low in calories but this should supplement me a lot more protein in my diet. Also, ill have another carrot before dinner say in between afternoon dinner and dinner. And ill have 1 uncle toby muesli bar a day when im hungry, ill just slip it in somewhere ((before 3pm).

On the weekends (fri, sat and sun) i wont eat the microwave meals but have good protein rich foods. Also i do take supplements, including creatine, green tea concentrate, multivietim and im going to start tking fibre.

How does this sound now? Its not really practical for me to be cooking lean meat everyday, ill eat loads of it on the weekends, but i think perhaps the proein shakes should be able to help my diet during the week.

WIth the protein shakes, extra carrot and eggs, i think this takes me up to about 1400-1600 calories.

I have to say im very surprised im not eating enough. Im building muscle fairly well, im not really that hungry (just at night before i sleep), iv always had enough energy i believe and iv never had a problem with craving junk food. I decided to take out all dairy and wheat products as a sort of detox diet. This actually has made me much more energetic, i have started to have more milk again but have totally stopped eating wheat. I think i have a food intolerance to wheat or something.

Anyway thanks again for all your replies :)
thom85

Postby thom85 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am

Well i am changing my diet and taking the forums advice. Its just i live a very busy life style and im trying to find a practical way i can eat more of the foods the people here have suggested. :)
thom85

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk