It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Free Newsletter

what about holding on to skinny clothes?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

what about holding on to skinny clothes?

Postby Chrissie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:47 pm

:) I think it's great that others have been able to throw out their fat clothes, it's like a fresh start or new beginning, but I do pose the question 'should we be holding on to our old skinny clothes :?: before I had my girls (7 years ago) I was a size 8 -10 and no I was not always skinny as a child - I was always the chubby one and always struggles with my weight. I worked very hard to get to the size 8-10, however I was a lot younger too and I think the older you get, your metabolism changes. Anyway, I have these tiny little denim shorts that looked so cute and I keep them in my bottom drawer with the hope that one day I will get back into them. Deep down I dont think I will. Do you think we need to be more realistic with our weight goals, or do we think stuff it you can do anything you put your mind to and keep striving to fit into those denim shorts :roll: ?
Put yourself last and you will achieve nothing. Make time and believe in yourself and you will be amazed what you can achieve
Chrissie

Re: what about holding on to skinny clothes?

Postby electrongirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 pm

I HAVE!!!

There's no way in hell I am getting rid of all my skinny clothes!! I spent a fortune on all of them and I WILL get back into them!!

When I was thin I shopped at Myer and Cue etc so I would feel really bad about getting rid of them.

They are my inspiration!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Chrissie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 pm

:o WOW Where do you get your determination and what keeps you going. I seem to be so motivated 1 week and then sink back into bad habits the next. It's like Im taking 2 steps forward, 1 step back constantly. Maybe I should strive to get back into the shorts? I'll probably be 60 the time I get into them and look a right shocker LOL :lol:
Put yourself last and you will achieve nothing. Make time and believe in yourself and you will be amazed what you can achieve
Chrissie

Postby chubba momma » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 pm

i kept them for soo long and had them hanging. However last year i got realistic and did a good clean out had a good cry and was realistic in what i would be bale to fit back into. I was a size 10 before i had HAnnah and some of teh clotehs i have will not fit me again simply for teh change in my boob size, and teh fact i will always have certain flab areas due to my 2 kids stretching it beyond springing back. I think it is good to keep them, i have kept lots i wont fit into purely for sentimental reasons and others as a thing to aspire to fit into but some i let go
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I was told by the shrink that I was seeing that I should throw out my "skinny clothes" as they were "unrealistic". I proceeded to explain....
1. That would mean turfing my ENTIRE WARDROBE and starting again. Besides anything else, I don't have the money to do that. Those clothes were expensive, so I HAVE to fit back into them whether I like it or not!!
2. It's not "unrealistic" (what's with that anyway, of course it's realistic!!..Unless you've had a baby, then it's different :? ) because only 6 months prior most of my clothes were too big and were falling off me!! :roll:

So.... no, don't throw them out!! Unless you really don't want to be that size again.
SarahC

Postby Chrissie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I think the key is to adopt a healthy lifestlye and you will reep the benifits. Like it or not, when you have children, you body shape does change as does with age. I do not have the same body shape when I was 25. I am now 35, however I think you need to work with what you've got and improve from there. I know that I will not be a size 6 drop dead georgous, long legged model, however I WILL lose the kilos to reach my goal weight by chosing change eating habits and lifestyle and finally be happy in my own skin. Maybe I will aim to fit 1 leg into those denim shorts LOL :lol:
Chrissie

Postby senoritanita » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:35 pm

i've kept my skinny clothes from the days of being 8-10. Not all of them, just those things I dream to fit into again. Although i've heard its a bad idea I can't let go of them, I still have faith that it is possible to get back into them again!
26.1 kgs lost... 23kgs to go (and counting!)
start date 13/09/07
senoritanita

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:35 pm

I had several outfits in storage that I bought when I was skinny hoping to lose more weight to fit into them. Yep, I didn't have skinny clothes, I had skinnier than skinny clothes. I finally bit the bullet and gave them to the op shop. There were a few reasons for that. Not only do I think I'm very unlikely to ever get down to a size 8 given the thinnest I've ever been is a size 10, but at 33 I am WAY too old for tight shiny PVC pants :shock: . (And I can hear the world heaving a loud sigh of relief at never having to see that picture!)
EvilWombatQueen

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:05 pm

I've gotten rid of all of my skinny clothes bar one pair of size 28 Sass and Bide jean. I love those jean, I wore them to death and I'm definitely going to get back into them. They are my inspiration jeans. All my other skinny clothes I got rid of because fashion changes and I'm constantly updating my wardrobe lol :lol:

However, I've got a suitcase full of designer clothes that my sister gave me before she moved to the UK last year. Unfortunately they are all in size 6 :( and I know I'll never be able to fit into them as I have a bigger frame than her but I'm hanging on to them in hope that when I get to my goal weight (55kgs) I will fit into something :lol: if not selling them on ebay :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote: tight shiny PVC pants :shock: .

Hahaha I used to own a pair. They were black, I was in year 10 and I begged my mum to buy me a pair. I remember wearing them with my doc martins and a little crop top to a school dance :lol:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:36 pm

i couldnt get rid of mine for these reasons:
* i wont be truly happy until i get back into them.
* i wont let having 3 c-sections keep me away from all of those clothes.
* not getting back into them means i wont get back to my goal weight.
* i will feel like ive kinda failed myself and health.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Karnak » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:51 pm

My ultimate plan is to reach my goal weight and then chuck out everything and I mean everything. Bathers, socks, undies, bras - absolutely everything. Sure this is a bit extreme since its highly likely my socks will still fit me however it seems silly to hold onto $40 worth of socks with everything else brand new. My reasons are as follows :

1. My main fear is fat creep. I don't want to just stop wearing certain items of clothing when they are a bit tight and just increase sizes in jeans when the old ones wear out. Fat creep tends to be a subconcious thing.I have a wardrobe of clothes from a size 12 to a 26 - I don't want to slowly move up the clothing size scale again and throwing everything out helps this.

2. I love my skinny clothes, I have the fondest of memories of wearing jeans that made my butt look fabulous and theres this wool country road suit that I would loveee to put back on. However my fond memories are from 10 years ago. There is no-way that suit won't be looking like an early 90's version despite how "classic" I think it is (sure theres no shoulder pads but still !) also body shapes change, who says they will still look good.

3. For the last 10 years I've dressed like a frump. Ok not quite moo moo dresses and tents but theres been heaps of trakkie pants and t-shirts in there. Even with work clothes under the nice suits there was elastic at the back of the pants and a baggyness to everything. Also I've bought clothes based upon how well they fitted as opposed to how much I liked them and had the luxury of chosing from 3 stores. I worked at Chadstone for 2 years - Australia's Fashion Capital and I had 2 stores that I could buy from !.

4. Its my gift to myself. By the end of my journey I would of lost more than 110kilos and its saved my life. Sure it'll cost me $5,000 to completely change my wardrobe but so what ?. Its $5,000 and thats a hellva lot of money but whats my life worth ?. A couple of extra morgage repayments ?. A holiday ? perhaps a new couch ?. Hell I would of spent that on junk food alone in a year.

So - hopefully sometime before the end of this year I will take some big bags into my bedroom and empty out everything. I will empty out my washing basket and take the fresh clean clothes and put them straight into a garbage bag and after everysingle piece of clothing that I have is in the bags I will put on my remaining pair of size 26 trakkies (with a drawstring waist) and size 26 tshirt and armed with the help of 2 dozen girlfriends I will shop,
and shop
and shop.

I have the most amazing group of friends that have walked with me around parks, played squash on saturday mornings with me and never ordered dessert or crappy food when they were out with me. I can't find words to express to them how much their support and help has meant to me and what gift do you buy people for helping save your life ?. Sure a shopping spree isn't much but it will at least signify the end of a long journey and the start of my new life.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby kazzaa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi Karnak,
I am fairly new to this forum well not quite I have been back and forward depending if I am in a dieting mood. Anyway I am getting off the point I want to congratulate you on your huge weight loss what a fantastic effort. I was just reading through some posts and noticed yours about your big spending spree you have planned. Anyway I just wanted to let you know what a great inspiration you are and I am sure you will reach your goal. I have lost 30kg but have been slack for the last 12months fortunately I haven't put any back on. This year I am determined to get the rest off, I have another 30 to go. Your weight loss blew me away and I just had to congratulate you. Anyway I will chat again soon.

Cheers
Kazzaa
PS I would lilke to know how you did it
Nothing tastes as good as slim feels
kazzaa

Postby kazzaa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:34 pm

sorry Karnak I put 71kg lost in my last email but it is 77kg betta still.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing tastes as good as slim feels
kazzaa

Postby Fireball » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Hey Karnak. That is awsome weightloss. Your reward will be more than deserved and great motivation. Good on you. I have a simlir wardrobe with about size 12-26. I have kept my favourites - I think I have a top from 1989! I do plan on wearing them as I lose weight. What's this about fashion change? I think mine are all still in fashion, besides I'm sure I will be able to make anything look good. 8) Well... maybe I'll just wear them to hang out the clothes or to zany parties! :lol:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk