It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 am

Free Newsletter

I'm always so positive in the morning, but then....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm always so positive in the morning, but then....

Postby Sussy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my mojo back and i know people post regarding this topic all the time and i always read what everyone says about it and try to incorporate it but then unfortunately fail.

Every morning i wake up so positive and think 'today i'll get back on track and eat properly' and will get that hot bod that i want, and then by the afternoon i'm losing my attitude. I tell myself 'don't eat the crap, don't do it' and i don't but then i start to think.....'mmm chocolate, i really want chocolate....wait, no i should have fruit or carrots, or a tub of yougurt, or some rice snax or pretzels....but no, i really want chocolate....i don't want that boring low fat crap, I WANT CHOCOLATE' and then my willpower is gone and i eat chocolate or lollies or chips or whatever it is that has completely taken over my thoughts. But not just a bit, i go so overboard it's not funny. Then i think 'well i've stuffed up today might as well keep going and tomorrow i'll be good and get back on track again' and then the same thing happens again each day. You can see how this is easily packing the kg's back on. :cry: and i hate it.
I worked so hard up until Christmas and even reached my goal but since then i've just been pathetically weak and packed on 3.5 kg's....stupid, weak, greedy pig i am. BLAH!!
First, i am not one who can only have a little bit of something, once i have the taste for it, i keep going until it's gone, have always been this way.
Today i have got rid of all temptation in the house and i really want to lose the weight again, i just don't know if i'm strong enough.
I hate telling my husband i've caved again and i REALLY want to lose the weight because he just gives me that look like 'here we go again, i've heard this 1,000,000 before...' and then i just feel like a loser who can't get her s... together. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Anyway hopefully someone has some advice for me. Sorry for crapping on, i just don't want to end up back where i was. Please help if you can. Cheers
Sussy

Re: I'm always so positive in the morning, but then....

Postby Siana-leah » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 am

hhmmm...this is a tough one....
firstly...i have to say that you are part of a majority....i think all of us do that!
i honestly think it has more to do with what you are saying to yourself in your head at those particular moments....
what works and what doesnt work varies from person to person....
All the advice you have read, like you said, can mean absolutely nothing when it comes to impulse...
i used to do the same thing....
i find that distracting myself with something works....
i also fix my chocolate cravings by eating a row of 70% dark choc...i used to have the stuff but it works for me now....it is def
not as sugary.....
but....some ppl hate the stuff....
try catching yourself in a thought just b4 you grab the junk....write it down and ask yourself if its necessary/true/etc.....
then replace it with a good thought....
drink water! i used to believe that this was cr*p but it really does help....
also if ur at home....go and have a sleep...read a book....
find ANYTHING that works for YOU.....
Hope this helps and i know you can do it.....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Postby big_love » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:15 pm

Sussy,

You can do this...The point that comes through from other members is portion size, and not depriving yourself. This has helped me alot. I know I haven't been here a long time, but its the longest time I have tried to change my life, and actually been happy about it! If you always reach for the chocolate, try and work it into your daily calories! Can you try a fat free hot chocolate instead?

If all else fails, just picture those slim, sexy thighs and go for a walk :D
140/117/85
big_love

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 pm

The first thing, if possible, is to make sure you have no temptations in the house. If you have to go down the shops to buy chocolate to satisfy your hankering it makes it much more difficult to yield to temptation. So ban chocolate from your shopping trips. If you want chocolate you have to make a special trip to the shops to get it.

When you have the urge for chocolate don't immediately head out for the shops to buy some. Give yourself a time limit. If it's 3pm and you're desperate for a chocolate bar, tell yourself you can have one - but only after dinner. Then you're not banning yourself from chocolate, you're just putting it off. Often it only takes half an hour for the yearning to pass so crisis is averted. If you still find yourself desperate for chocolate after dinner, ask yourself if you really need it now or if you could just have it tomorrow. Sometimes that's enough to stifle the craving if it's not too strong. After all, chocolate isn't going to disappear overnight. It's always been there and it will always be there. There's no need to rush out and get it now!

And if you still need chocolate then obviously you should get some chocolate! But when you buy it choose a better alternative. Dark chocolate is brilliant because as Siana pointed out it's not as sugary. It's also stronger so you take longer to savour it and not as 'more-ish' so a small amount is likely to satisfy your chocolate craving. Or look at some of those low-fat hot chocolate drinks. If it's the flavour you're after then sometimes they can help. And if you really, really need milk chocolate just get a small Freddo and savour it. When you eat chocolate make sure you eat it incredibly slowly, then hopefully you'll have satisfied your need before eating the whole block!

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Chrissie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 pm

I think everyone goes through this. It takes alot of determination and discipline. I find for myself it takes me a good 3 weeks of being good with what I eat and exercising daily - from there I am firmly in a routine and find it a lot easier from there. I always try to think of all the false promises I make myself - like "I will just eat this chocolate and I will start my diet tomorrow...yeah right..who am I kidding. keep perservereing. you will find that as you lose weight, this itself will be your motivation :)
Put yourself last and you will achieve nothing. Make time and believe in yourself and you will be amazed what you can achieve
Chrissie

Postby Sussy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks so much guys. This all helps and I know it's all about the willpower and determination. I'm going okay today, i'll take it one day at a time and look at it as just doing today and then getting through tomorrow and so on, and not thinking of it as 'it might take me 12 weeks' coz that seems so far away & unattainable.
I like the idea of putting off having the choc for half an hour, then after that putting it off till after dinner, then wait till tomorrow.....this is a good plan. And i also have to try to get back into the mind set of ''the lollies, choc and junk' are always there and always available and i don't have to have them and at the very least i don't have to eat them all in one day.
Must also learn to think about what i'm eating and not just eat for the sake of it.....this is where i can consume copious amounts without even realising it. Eat slowly and savour the taste.
Kind of thinking out loud, but i'm gonna do what i have too. :)

Thanks again everyone....just knowing the support is there and that others feel the same helps too. :)
Sussy

Postby Bri » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:26 pm

I can totally relate what you are going through I just did what you were describing tonight so tomorrow I will give that naughty food to hubby and tell him to hide it.

My MIL had a suggestion though she knows someone who is trying to lose weight and they told her they have a bit of chocolate mid morning (you know like a freddo etc) cos then that way if you work out/walk around a lot in the office etc doing all that incidental exercises we do throughout the day (eg vacuuming) we probably have more of a chance of working it off than if we eat it at night, it was just a suggestion though and whether it would be true I don't know but hey if it works it's not a bad suggestion. 8)
Mum to three kids, second mum to my 18yo sister, and married to the biggest kid my DH. Also pet mummy to one dog, two cats and three fish.
Bri

Postby Sussy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 am

Hey Bri,

it IS a good suggestion, any suggestions are good suggestions....especially when you're struggling.

Thanks again, i really appreciate it. :)
Sussy

Postby ali76 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:56 am

Hey all,

Had to put my 2 cents worth in too!! :P

I do the same thing with putting it off for an hour or two if I want chocolate....but if the craving doesn't go away, because I make sure I don't have any bad food in the house (my poor boyfriend!) in order to get the chocolate I make a deal with myself....I can have it if I walk to get it!! My the time I've walked to and from the shops for a freddo or milky way, I often don't want it anymore OR I figure I've done my part in working it off so no need to feel guilty about it! 8)

Hhmm....now I'm thinking about chocolate....good thing I've got my sneakers at work! :lol:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby NewMe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 pm

This is a difficult one.

All I know ius DO NOT eat anything else to try and fill the void. Have a drink of water then wait a while. If you still feel like the bad foos then allow yourself to have some. I think deprivation increases the desire for the thing, so allowing yourself a small portion is far healthier IMO.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqW2v1C/]
[/url]
NewMe

Postby Sussy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:13 pm

I agree, i think deprivation increases the hankering for something as well, but ten fold.

Also a great idea about walking to the shop if i want something badly enough, trouble is i live across the road from a milk bar. However the good thing is I rarely go there because it's SO expensive. :) Perhaps if i was to do this i could walk around the block and then if i still want it, get it on the way back.

Thanks again everyone. :)
Sussy

Return to Weight loss Talk