It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Free Newsletter

Gym instructors/employees

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Gym instructors/employees

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:29 am

What do you think they should look like? Should they set a healthy example by being a healthy weight?

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but at the womens Curves gym I go to, there are about 8 staff members and all of them bar 2 are fat, not chubby or big boned but fat, one of them being obese. I originally thought when I saw the first few big ladies that perhaps they had lost a lot of weight already, but 6 of them??? I've seen them sitting behind the desk before snacking away on lollies/chocs/chips etc .

I just don't think this is right! You wouldn't see an add on TV for acne treatment being sold by someone with a face full of pimples. I don't know why but it really annoys me, I just don't think they're setting the right example/image. I certainly don't think they should all be in their 20's with 16% body fat or anything like that, but some overweight and others extremelly overweight just doesn't seem right to me.

What are your thoughts on this?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Re: Gym instructors/employees

Postby bferbear » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:53 am

When you are looking for a gym, you are generally wanting to achieve certain goals. In order to do this you need to have confidence in yourself, the gym, and the staff who will be assisting you. If your gym staff do not promote the appearance of fitness and health, then how can you, as the client have any confidence in their ability to assist you in reaching your goals, and why would you take on board any advice from them.

It would be like a vegan telling you how tasty the steak is, theoretical knowledge only.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:13 am

i completely agree, the gym i go to has got a huge variety of staff which i love.
theres a guy who won mr switzerland for weight lifting, hes MASSIVE and sounds like arnie :P theres a young skinny trainer whos always at the gym working out on her days off, theres a girl whos just had a baby and is working on losing her baby weight, and the lady who runs the weight loss sessions has lost 15 kgs herself
i think its great ti have someone u can identify with and someone who u know can help u reach your goals whatever they may be, if they cant take there own advice how do they expect u to!
Jisgone

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:51 am

I have heard that Curves tend to employ members alot of the time. So these could be girls who are trying to lose weight themselves. Your only seeing them for the 30 mins you are there, they could be trying very hard to lose the weight in the other 23.5 hours of the day, you never know.

Also there is a major shortage of staff in Australia at the moment and Employers can't be as choosy as they like at the moment so maybe they didn't have anyone thin to employ?

Another example of what your saying though, at my Weight Watchers meeting the lady who does all the payments is a very large woman, and she has been working there for at least 8 years and I honestly can't see much of a difference with her weight. It ddoesn't really bother me that much as I have known them all for years and I don't tend to judge people that much, however I'm sure there are people that come to that meeting that do judge her.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby bferbear » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:05 am

I appreciate what you are saying about them employing members who are in the process of losing weight themselves, but from a marketing viewpoint, if you walk into a health club or a gym for the first time, what sort of impression do you get if the staff don't project the appearance of being fit and healthy? It isn't about being judgmental of them as individuals, it is about the first opinion formed of how successful the business is.

I interviewed a girl for a reception position the other day who had a lot of facial piercings. Multiple earrings, nose rings, lip ring, eyebrow ring. I asked her if she would remove everything but a few of the earrings, and one of the nose rings. She said she would not be willing to do so, she didn't get the job. It was not a reflection of her abilities, or a judgement of her personality, rather it was that she would not convey the image to our clients that we want to convey. Your reception area is the first point of contact for your business, and first opinions count for a lot. It doesn't matter what quality of work you can do if the client doesn't give you the opportunity to do it.
[/url]
bferbear

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:13 am

I don't tend to judge people myself, but I understand that other people do.

It could very well be a case of them not being able to find people more "suitable" for the jobs. I know it took my boss months to fill the position I now have because theres just no one out there looking for work.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby bferbear » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:27 am

True, I never really considered that aspect of things too much. Living on the Gold Coast, we always have a high number of applicants for any jobs we have going, so you tend to forget that other areas have staff shortages.
[/url]
bferbear

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 am

its terrible in Perth at the moment as we have had a massive mining boom up north so everyones left to go up there and there isn't anyone down here to fill all the jobs.

The service in a lot of places has suffered REALLY bad I've noticed!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:00 pm

i think i was more disturbed about them eating chips and lollies at the reception area, i think thats horrible! people losing weight dont want to see stuff like that at the gym
Jisgone

Postby Kimmie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:23 pm

Ooh, which Curves? I have a friend who works at the Camperdown Curves in Sydney -- she is not skinny or muscular, but definitely not fat. Probably BMI around 22-23, and she is hot hot hot, curvy and gorgeous!

Anyway, in response to this thread: I tend to find it's the personality of the instructor that counts the most. For example, I have had two different RPM (spin) instructors. One was a small, but wiry and obviously fit guy, and another is a lady who is maybe in her early 40's. She is quite fit, but she's a bit overweight, too, and carrying it all around her waist. I'd estimate 160cm and 80kg. But the proof is in the pudding! The young wiry guy is meek and quiet -- he does not motivate me at all. The lady is cheerful, entertaining, VERY attentive to each person in the class -- she makes us work our butts of and enjoy every minute of it! I've had similar experiences with other classes, whether they are buff or not. It's totally their ability to be attentive and a bit crazy, even if the whole class is unresponsive (which, having taught Uni students a few time, is absolutely INFURIATING!!!).

Sorry this post is so long winded! ...
Kimmie

Postby JL77 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Hmmmm thats a hard question to answer with out sounding like a cow lol ... But I do think everyone has the right to work in a gym no matter what size you are. BUT I also think it would be disenourgaing to have bigger ppl working there, I mean if theres skinny ppl everywhere wouldnt that encourage you to lose weight. AM I making sense?
JEZ

Starting Weight 20/1/08 ~ 86kg
28/1/08 ~ 85kg
2 /2/08 ~ 84.2
JL77

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:11 pm

I'd probably feel most comfortable at a gym with a mix of body types. I know a lot of people are put off by gyms full of super-fit skinny-minnies because they feel that only people who fit that stereotype would be welcome. If there were a couple of larger people there I'd see them as more open minded. And it's important to remember that not everyone joins a gym to lose weight. Some people are there purely for the work-outs. Shot-putters, hammer-throwers and weight-lifters spring to mind. Sure it's unlikely the entire staff at your gym are on a local women's hammer-throw team but there's a slim chance (no pun intended)!

That said, if all the staff at a gym were permanently overweight I'd wonder what their qualifications for weight-loss advice would be. But then if everyone were skinny I'd feel the same way. I always assume skinny people have always been thin and fit all their lives so they would have no personal experience of struggling to lose weight - probably not a fair assumption, but we're talking about gut-reaction to appearances here.

I think it's more important that the staff are friendly, helpful and help you lose your weight. If they're failing in that then it's cause for concern. Anything other than that is just window-dressing for the owners of the gym to worry about.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:40 pm

I think that as long as they're physically fit, it shouldn't matter.

When I was a personal trainer, I got into it in the first place because I got myself to lose 17kg and get myself addicted to the gym when I never thought it was possible. I was 68-74kg (that's when I put on my 6kg when I plateaued) when I was doing gym instructing and personal training. But I was fit. And the one thing that people always commented on was my legs, thanks to the endless RPM classes I do.

There are loads of people out there who get into the fitness industry because they've managed to lose some weight themselves, or they've had a personal trainer who has just made the experience so good for them that they want to share it with other people. So yeah, that's my 2 cents!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm not sure I should say which Curves it is...

I agree that a mix of body types is great, there are A LOT of very big women that go to my curves and I think it may make them more comfortable which is fantastic, but to have 6/8 be very overweight is just bad advertising I think.

The other thing that annoys me about my curves is all the very big ladies get all the attention and support. I've not had any help (not that I ask for it, but they seem to go around and help out just about everyone else) except for my first 2 sessions since i've started. I've noticed in my time there that all the normal - small ladies get no attention and I don't think thats right. They may not have as much to lose but we ALL need encouragement.

When I got my last weigh in/measurement I wasn't very happy, the treatment I got was totally different. A very big girl got hers done before me by the same staff member that did mine and I lost twice as much as her (no competiton but it does fit into the point i'm about to make) well she got the whole 'Oh wow, you've done so well, you're amazing, keep going etc' I got NOTHING, just a print out of my results - 4kgs loss and 13cm and I got no well dones or keep goings.

The 'special treatment' they give to certain members makes me want to ditch them, but I can't for another 10 months, bloody contracts. Otherwise i'd be out of there and would stick to my other various exercise activities.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:56 pm

when I quit Curves it only cost $50 to break my contract. Its sounds to me that your not very happy there so maybe ask about what it would cost to break the contract.

Image Image
electrongirl

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk