It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:16 am

Free Newsletter

Gym instructors/employees

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Gym instructors/employees

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Thanks Nikki, I didn't know you could do that, I will def check it out.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby electrongirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:02 pm

also if they ask why your leaving make sure you tell them how you felt (maybe not about the size of their employees) but that you felt like because you were small that you felt like that didn't care about you etc.

They appreciate feedback like that.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:50 pm

Being overweight and eating chips/lollies/ice-cream behind the counter does not create a good image for the business - it's the health industry afterall!

My gym is HUGE and there is a huge range of people that work there - big buff boys to slim and trim women and everything in between, which is great. Personally, I'd prefer a trainer who was once overweight as I feel there would be that extra empathy and connection.

If I was the owner/manager of that curves, I'd definitely be having a word to the ladies about not eating junk while on duty/in uniform :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:20 pm

I don't want to sound snobby as well, but Curves & Contours employees are... very different to personal trainers/gym instructors at regular gyms. A lot of the franchises don't care if their staff have the necessary qualifications, I know this is the case in Adelaide anyway. I was very close to working at Contours before I realised I just didn't want to. So while there may be some fantastic employees at Curves/Contours out there, it is just a job to a lot of them, and they don't really care about it!! The owners of the Contours I was going to work at (it was a brand new one) had no idea about health and fitness. They were all overweight, and they didn't even know what the equipment did properly!!! It made me wonder why on earth these people were getting into the industry!? The answer? To cash in on it!!

Also, about the bigger instructor thing, one of the personal trainers and Step/Pump/Spin/Boot Camp instructors at my gym is a bigger girl, probably about a 16-18, but she is SO fit and SO motivating. She is a fantastic teacher!! And I've come across loads of others too. I must admit that I've judged on first impressions and been proven SO wrong!! And just last week, I wasn't entirely sure about doing an RPM class with this guy in his 60's taking the class, but it turned out to be a fantastic class!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby GoddessInside » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I can see the point you're making Fiona. I as one of the "very big ladies" would feel embarassed by the extra attention support I get. I often look to the "smaller" ladies for inspiration as I think where have they come from ?

I would be mighty :x if the curves I went to had very overweight ladies eating lollies, chips, chocolates or whatever when I am working my butt off trying to lose the weight and remain focussed. Sure there are other ways of remaining focussed but that's not the point, I used to go to curves to look for inspiration, if that were the case I don't think I would have lasted very long at your curves.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Bri » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:20 pm

i've got to put in my 2 cents, without knowing their personalities eating junk food at the front counter would make me question the gym, that being said if the ladies were still overweight but eating healthy and full of energy I would probably join on the spot.

I attend fernwood and they have a mix, one of the managers there is definitely over weight (but tall so she can carry it well) but the best thing is she makes every effort to participate in classes as well as making use of the gym, and on top of that she is joining in the WOW challenge that fernwood has just started running (War on waistlines) as well as a couple of the "skinny" girls in the club they are also joining in the challenge.

I think Fiona I would definitely be looking to cancel my member ship though if I was part of the gym you are a part of.
Mum to three kids, second mum to my 18yo sister, and married to the biggest kid my DH. Also pet mummy to one dog, two cats and three fish.
Bri

Postby Kimmie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 am

I definitely agree that you should give honest feedback if you choose to cancel your membership: at best you will improve the situation for other women that feel the same as you; and at worst you will know you have made the right decision. :)
Kimmie

Postby grugwashere » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I would be very annoyed if i went to an establishment that is supposed to endorse a healthy lifestyle and saw anyone who worked there (over weight or not) eating junkfood at the counter! I think you should def give them some feedback in regards to how it makes you feel.
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Moomoo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:55 pm

I have just started with a personal trainer who, it turns out has lost 20kg herself. She's great! She is a bit younger than me but the same height etc which makes me think that I could maybe look like her one day...

Is there another curves gym that you could transfer your membership to maybe?
Moomoo

Postby lng86 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:53 pm

Eating junk food whilst in the gym is most definitely not what the employees should do. I would be completely put off by that.

I agree with Em regarding her comment on personal trainers being very different at others gyms.

However, I do think that at gyms they should have a range of different staff. Different ages. Differents races. Different body shapes. Different heights. Different weights. Individuals tend to not connect to all people!

At my gym all but one of the employees are very fit. I must admit... Whilst my trainer was away on holidays over Christmas -I found if difficult to be inspired by the overweight trainer. I asked her about her own training regime (as she started a new training program) and she commented about her intentions always starting off well - but soon fading. I didn't find that advice very positive!!!

HOWEVER - I am a Jenny Craig consultant personally. I joined when I had lost 22kg. But - I always said that I was there to help others whilst helping myself. I've definitely stuck by my word. I'm shrinking along with my clients... Many of us have competitions going!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby kittykat84 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:25 pm

I agree with everyone else that the employees should definitely not be eating that kind of food at the gym!!!

Like someone else mentioned about the employees at curves/contours. My friend works at curves and she has NO training in the health industry what so ever! Sure, she's slim and fit, but that doesn't matter when someone asks you for advice and you cant give it!!
kittykat84

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk