It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:19 am

Free Newsletter

Giving up certain foods?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Giving up certain foods?

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:06 pm

I have noticed over the years that there are so many diets out there that restrict you from eating so many things.

Eg: Low carb diets, sugar busters, the Zone, no fruit, etc etc.

Now I don't know about other people but I would hate to live my life knowing that certain foods were forbidden!!

I have tried many of these fad diets and I tell you, I was miserable on every single one of them. I tried the cabbage soup diet and if I smell that stuff now it makes me dry heave.

What are your thoughts people, do you think its better to just cut back on certain foods or get rid of them completely.

Can you live like that forever? I know I couldn't. I'd rather have a slow weightloss than give up on foods I like.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Re: Giving up certain foods?

Postby milkyway » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 pm

When people start experimenting with their diet they sometimes find that they have an allergy or bad reaction to some food or food additives and feel so much better when they eliminate those foods from their diet. But other than for 'health' purposes, I reckon restrictive diets suck! :P I think they're too hard to stick to forever and if you don't, you run the risk of piling it all back on and then some.

I'm with you Nikki, I'd much rather become smaller over a longer period of time if it meant I could still drink wine and eat choccie and have Red Rooster once in a while.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:24 pm

oh yeah food allergies I agree with!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby emmaline » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm definitely a moderation girl
I remember the first time I did WW I used to savour my points for chocolate (i know you weren't supposed to, but it worked for me!!)

But I do find that I let myself have the foods I want in moderation.
I definitely don't cut out carbs or dairy, because I just know I could never stick to it and even if I did, the weight would come back on too easily!
What I've been surprised about this time round has been that I've had a couple of naughty things, and even a couple really bad days, but still managed to lose because i'm conscious of it I guess.
And making the small changes, but allowing myself to still have my bread and the occasional piece of chocolate, doesn't make me think I'm dieting so much as making healthier decisions for good.

And I agree - I'd rather lose the weight slowly and know there is a greater chance it will stay off!
emmaline

Postby JP1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Nikki, I'm pretty new to all this and I'm just trying to do what is working for me but anyway for what it is worth... apart from cutting out all the rubbish in my diet... I have also restricted the fat intake in my diet... that's been my number one concern and because I have been trying to reduce cholestrol a lot of dairy has gone out of my diet... apart from that I've had most everything else in moderation including roast dinners which I love :wink: - my wife just cuts down the fat in them...

I haven't had an egg since I started but really I haven't missed them and its no big deal. As far as cheese is concerned, I've had a couple of nibbles especially over Xmas but I've hit that on the head too atm. Now I'm going to continue as I am until I reach goal and then I'm going to start eating dairy and a bit more of other stuff but in moderation. The reason I'm not at the moment is that I jus feel they are wasted calories whilst I am trying to reduce weight and also theres the cholesterol issue I've been thinking about. But I don't think I could go my life without these types of foods again and infact its going to be trial and error but I'll have quite a few calories to play with once I reach goal otherwise I'm going to end up a stick man lols. :wink:

Again I'm just making this up as I have gone along... have read a bit from here and there and got a few ideas from here also. Just eating a lot healthier than I ever have... eating breakfast which is a first for me and of course exercising. Apart from that eating basically what the family does of a night except no fried food. God I don't think l could face a chip *never ever thought I'd say that* to be honest but again no doubt I will in the future...

Hope this helps some... I said a while back I don't think theres one set way to lose weight... theres many an avenue and we all have to find what works for us... :)
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby electrongirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:32 pm

mmmm roast dinners!!!!

I think perhaps a roast is the best meal EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm with you, Nikki and San! Unless you have a food intolerance, it is completely stupid to cut out a food or food group. You need carbs for energy!! People say if you eat too many carbs you gain weight, not to eat carbs after 5pm etc etc. Hello, if you eat too much of ANYTHING, carbs, protein, fats, alcohols, you will gain weight!!! It's silly silly!

I still have chocolate at least twice a week, I work it into my kilojoules! People that freak out about having 2 chocolate biscuits in 1 week need to realise that that's a damn good effort!!! The more you restrict something in your diet, the more you crave it! So deny yourself nothing :) I do agree though, that if you have an addictive personality (ie you buy a block of chocolate and can't just stop at a couple of squares), you need to eliminate the temptation, but you need to learn to live with it eventually!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby JP1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 pm

electrongirl wrote:mmmm roast dinners!!!!

I think perhaps a roast is the best meal EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh I agree thats my absolute favourite... my mum used to make the best Yorkshire pudding EVER! she was a Yorkshire gal too
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Jodie91 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:35 pm

I could never stick to a diet where i had to give up certain foods. I tried the shake diets and had to give up carbs (think I lasted like 2 weeks:)). I agree with everyone else - everything in moderation. Actually my son came home from school the other day and said he had to eat only healthy food now while this is good i also think that being able to have some "bad" foods and knowing when to stop is important, I had a talk with him about how everything is healthy - in moderation!
Cheers
Jodie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZZJpxa/]
[/url]
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck. -- Ricky, age 10
Jodie91

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:45 pm

There's just no need to cut out this or that. The key phrase is moderation :mrgreen:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby bferbear » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:08 am

My PT has asked me to cut out fruit for the next 6 weeks. Once we get past that stage he says i can reintroduce it into my diet without problems but during that time he doesn't want me taking in any fructose that I can easily avoid. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as it is only for 6 weeks, and he is getting good results so far. He attempted to explain to me why he wanted me to do it, but i had just finished a pretty full on 90 minute workout so was more focused on a daydream that involved him, a firing squad, and poisoned buckshot pellets.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:46 am

I've been vegetarian since I was a child and have followed a vegan diet for the last thirteen years so I'm more than a little used to cutting out foods from my diet entirely! Of course if you're already severely restricted in what you can eat it makes it harder to follow any plan that requires even more restrictions. I tried reducing the amount of starchy carbs I ate drastically and that was a nightmare. And there's no way a vegan could follow the Atkins diet. Even food combining proved more hassle than it was worth, even though I lost 2kg over two weeks and it really does help to reduce bloatiness.

Avoiding certain foods makes sense if you are substituting healthier versions (cutting out white bread and replacing it with multigrain for instance). Avoiding foods under expert supervision is fine too. And I think under some circumstances cutting food out temporarily can help to break a psychological addiction to that food (bread, alcohol, fast food, etc.) Other than that I think a lot of these restrictive diets only work because by the end of them you're so sick to death of eating the same thing over and over you tend to eat less anyway.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sassi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:59 am

i believe that it's all about moderation as well. for me, i don't think i'm a particularly unhealthy eater, i just eat way too much.
sassi

Postby Tummygirl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 am

I havent cut out anything in my diet because i must not have it because that would mean i wouldnt have it ever again. I eat things in moderation and its not because I cant have the peice of cake its because i dont want the peice of cake.
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby Kimmie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:59 am

I tried the South Beach diet, which is kind of like Atkins, and I lasted TWO WEEKS! lol

I lost 2kg in the first week, none in the second, gained 2kg in the third. Good times.

I usually eat a high protein diet anyway, but if I can't have a bowl of special K with nana on top?!? Or wonderful healthy oaty porridge?!?? No way! :P
Kimmie

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk