It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Free Newsletter

Appropriate vs Inappropriate Clothing for Size

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Appropriate vs Inappropriate Clothing for Size

Postby kittykat84 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 am

I saw a similar thing yesterday (also at the gym)! A girl, she would have been around the same age as me (22) if not younger, she was probably 5'4'' and well over the 100kg mark. Anywho, walking around in tight shorts and a t shirt with her (.)(.) hanging out and she loved it!!! I am not even game to wear shorts yet!! She thought she was it and a bit and I felt bad for her because she didn't realise how rediculous she looked. Some ppl just need a good slapping!
kittykat84

Postby help6363 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:26 am

Going against the grain here but I do people as long as people feel good about themselves, then sod it ...... they can wear what they want! Who are they really hurting? You don't like it? Easy solution, don't look! :P

Secondly, maybe they like being big.......maybe that's what THEY like! Who are we to judge their goals?

IMO (and I know everyone will disagree) what makes one person happy doesn't make another person happy! Just because I am insecure about my weight and would never wear such a thing to gym doesn't mean others have to do the same!

I think you are all being REALLY judgemental! I am quite surprised to read this on this board....... don't we have endless threads about how hurt we were that people were judgemental to us?
help6363

Postby help6363 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 am

Right cannot edit this .....I am AWARE the above one does not make sense, however this one has been edited.....

Going against the grain here but I do believe people have the right to wear what they want as long as people feel good about themselves! Who are they really hurting? You don't like it? Easy solution, don't look! :P

Secondly, maybe they like being big.......maybe that's what THEY like! Who are we to judge their goals?

IMO (and I know everyone will disagree) what makes one person happy doesn't make another person happy! Just because I am insecure about my weight and would never wear such a thing to gym doesn't mean others have to do the same! In fact, I wish I was not insecure about my weight!

I think you are all being REALLY judgemental! I am quite surprised to read this on this board....... don't we have endless threads about how hurt we were that people were judgemental towards us?
help6363

Postby yoyogirl88 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:01 am

Just to add to helps post, What if these people have just lost a heap of weight and FINALLY feel comfortable to wear these types of things.
Although I personally wouldnt until im really little. :D :D
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby yoyogirl88 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 am

Opps just realised it has been said. Glad to see we are on the same brainwave!!
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:09 am

i am in utter shock that this post is still here and not deleted or edited. ok its fair enough to say that you dont like what some people are wearing in public, but to sit there and say that they have elephant genitalia is just down right disrespectful. how is it anyone elses RIGHT to make fun of a persons appearance or weight problem? its the same sort of discrimination you can imagine additional needs people receiving from the public who do not know the persons medical history or personal life. i dont see anyone here being critical of peoples before and after shots on this forum. it really brings back that whole PRO EATING DISORDER thing that goes on in this forum. no one will ever feel comfortable being the size they are in life - when they reach their goals or not because theyre being made fun of.

good on her for getting to a gym and working out and doing something about her heath.

i know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but one should think before they speak.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 am

:o I only just read this now... I'm very slow at the moment!!

I don't know.... I really couldn't care less how other people look, whether their clothes fit them or not. As long as the person feels confident and comfortable in what they are wearing, how is it any of anyone else's business??

I think it's great for the girl that she is comfortable enough in her own skin to strut around the gym in tiny clothes! (Although I think everyone should cover their midriffs in the gym, regardless of size, just for hygiene reasons).

I wish I was as "delusional" as that girl... would love to strut around the place and truly believe that everyone was looking at me with admiration...
SarahC

Postby electrongirl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:12 am

I am going to have to agree with Kate & help6363 on this one.

This is supposed to be a place where big people are supposed to feel comfortable and supported. This is the kind of negativity that most of us face out there in the world, we don't need it on here as well.

The girl is at the gym so she obviously knows she needs to lose weight. Whats wrong with her having a bit of self confidence. So she doesn't dress the way you want her to.

This is one of the reasons I don't like going to the gym, because I am always paranoid people are judging me. I always thought it was just in my head, obviously I was wrong!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby bferbear » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:22 am

I probably deserve the above criticisms, as in reflection I was a little harsh with what I said. By the same token the intent behind my comments remains the same. Regardless of what size you are there are standards of decency that should be met when in the public domain. The only problem I had with what she was wearing was that it didn't fit her, it really really really didnt fit her. If she had been wearing a lycra top and bikepants set that was in her own size i would not have commented at all. I more than likely would have thought to myself that it was a huge fashion error, but that would have been the end of it. Instead she was wearing clothing 2 or 3 sizes too small. I know I can look away, but I was in the middle of some reps on a station, and shouldn't have to avert my eyes because of someone else.

It was a poorly attempted humourous spin on the denial some people exhibit about their physical appearance. The comments that followed were reasonably generic, and not obviously targeted at a specific named individual, and were a long way from being a personal attack on someones "Before & After" pictures.

Another point is that I honestly thought that the majority of the discussion would be regarding the responsibility of family and friends to inform someone of a faux pas such as this. I had not intended to turn it into a "horrible ugly fat people" talk.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby electrongirl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:36 am

I'm not aiming this at just you bferbear. When your dealing with people with weight problems, most of the time, its not just weight that we are trying to fix.

Alot of us have very low self asteem, body image, confidence etc. We have to face the prejudices of the world everyday. We are aware of our weight everyday. Some of us have been through pretty rough stuff in terms of our weight.

All I am saying is that maybe, in the future, think about who will be reading the post and if you think it might offend or upset someone.

This place is about acceptance and support. I am all for a joke here and there, but this has obviously upset a few people and I can see why.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby kittykat84 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:43 am

Sorry if what I wrote offended anyone.. I wasn't making fun, I was just pointing out the fact that I felt bad for her because so many ppl were laughing and pointing at her. I do agree that people have a right to wear what they like, and so they should. Like I said, I don't even have enough guts to wear shorts yet, so good on her for not caring about what others think and having the confidence to wear what she did.
kittykat84

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:32 am

bferbear wrote:. Regardless of what size you are there are standards of decency that should be met when in the public domain.

well that depends on the gym you are referring to and what the dress standards are for that establishment. - like when you go to a club there are rules about wearing thongs/flip flops after a certain time each day. like sarah mentioned about the midriffs for health reasons in a gym. whatever the gym's policies are they should be adhered to- NOT what someone elses opinion is on other peoples dress sense.
kate_turner2000

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:58 am

Being so opinionated, it surprised me that I didn't respond to this thread earlier.

To be honest, my first opinion to the thread was yeah people - cover up, but there are a lot of people at my gym - of all ages, who are quite big and they wear whats comfortable. The circuit room isn't particularly well ventilated so you wear as little as possible so you don't over heat. I look at people who are a lot bigger than me and wearing a lot less than me, and my honest thoughts on that are - I wish I had more confidence in myself to wear what they're wearing! I'm so insecure that when it's 40 degrees I'm still wearing a t-shirt that makes me SO hot...why don't I strip off and wear a little tank top like they do...who cares if my or their tummy isn't flat - isn't that why I'm here??

If more people were comfortable with how they look, maybe there would be less eating disorders in the world?!

I hope that made sense?!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby shelbel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:24 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote: it really brings back that whole PRO EATING DISORDER thing that goes on in this forum.

Um, what pro eating disorder thing are you talking about here?? Just curious.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:48 pm

All people are doing is giving their opinion on people not dressing for their size or wearing clothes that are too small and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I would have the same reaction to an anorexic person that was very very bony - I don't want to see it!

Yes, this forum is a support network for all of us wanting to lose weigh, regain our lives etc, BUT why should we suddenly not be able to have an opinion on things like this?

I don't believe I made fun of anyone in my post, I just simply stated that I think its tragic that some people don't dress for their size.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk