It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Appropriate vs Inappropriate Clothing for Size

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Appropriate vs Inappropriate Clothing for Size

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 pm

I commented that tight lycra is rarely flattering to anyone and looks quite silly unless you're a super-hero, a sci-fi character or a Gladiators contestant. The day after posting it I put on my dri-fit pants to go jogging. That was when I realised they're so bloody tight and shiny they may as well be lycra. Score one for karma I suppose. :oops:

Not only do I run funny, but I now know I also dress funny. Great. I probably smell weird too. :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby big_love » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Im sure you don't smell or look funny at all....but your post made me laugh...
thanks for the first smile of the day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
140/117/85
big_love

Postby bferbear » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:35 pm

From a male perspective i got to feel totally inadequate and self conscious at the gym for the first time today. Essendon are playing Brisbane on the Gold Coast this weekend, and they are using my gym for their training. Those guys are HUGE. I didn't realise just how big AFL players were being a rugby boy through and through. Most were over 6'3" some near 7'.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Postby shelbel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:37 pm

Did someone just mention Essendon??

Shouts out *SASSI* get over here!! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby help6363 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:36 pm

Fiona25 wrote:All people are doing is giving their opinion on people not dressing for their size or wearing clothes that are too small and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I would have the same reaction to an anorexic person that was very very bony - I don't want to see it!

Yes, this forum is a support network for all of us wanting to lose weigh, regain our lives etc, BUT why should we suddenly not be able to have an opinion on things like this?

I don't believe I made fun of anyone in my post, I just simply stated that I think its tragic that some people don't dress for their size.

IMO it's MORE tragic people FEEL or think they should dress a certain way because of their size.

Have all the opionions you want, I just gave my opinion....it's a FREE world, you have the right to your opinion and people have the right to dress the way they want despite their size
help6363

Postby help6363 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:47 pm

bferbear wrote:I probably deserve the above criticisms, as in reflection I was a little harsh with what I said. By the same token the intent behind my comments remains the same. Regardless of what size you are there are standards of decency that should be met when in the public domain. The only problem I had with what she was wearing was that it didn't fit her, it really really really didnt fit her. If she had been wearing a lycra top and bikepants set that was in her own size i would not have commented at all. I more than likely would have thought to myself that it was a huge fashion error, but that would have been the end of it. Instead she was wearing clothing 2 or 3 sizes too small. I know I can look away, but I was in the middle of some reps on a station, and shouldn't have to avert my eyes because of someone else.

It was a poorly attempted humourous spin on the denial some people exhibit about their physical appearance. The comments that followed were reasonably generic, and not obviously targeted at a specific named individual, and were a long way from being a personal attack on someones "Before & After" pictures.

Another point is that I honestly thought that the majority of the discussion would be regarding the responsibility of family and friends to inform someone of a faux pas such as this. I had not intended to turn it into a "horrible ugly fat people" talk.

Oh, okay. I understand the point you were making. The criticism was not driected at you and I think we are all old enough to have our own point of views about topics, don't you? I don't have a problem personally with any of the people, I just saw red when I read the post!

To answer your original question, I would never as a family or friend inform anyone. Why? I starved myself to 30kgs years ago because of similar comments. I guess it's up to the individual and I guess I BELIEVE that saying such a thing may ruin the person's self esteem or may prevent them going to the gym.

That's my opinion........I am sure others will have different points of views about the matter! :D
help6363

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Is there a way of suggesting someone may want to reconsider their clothing choices without it affecting their self-esteem? Just curious. I've never had to struggle with that decision with any of my friends... but I've certainly had friends have to struggle with it on my behalf! Certainly it's up to the individual to decide what they feel comfortable in wearing, but is 'constructive criticism' ever a good idea?

I remember years ago having my dad put his foot down and tell me I couldn't go down the street dressed as I was. And fair enough. What I was wearing was fine for a goth nighclub in Sydney, but not so appropriate for a sleepy rural Victorian town (it was the lingerie as outerwear era and a bit risque for country folk)! And sometimes I've worn items of clothes without realising they're slightly see-through and I've been hideously embarrassed when I've found out after the fact. Of course neither of these things have to do with weight, but would a good friend ever tell another friend that their clothes might need a wee bit more consideration?

(You know, after this and my last post in this thread I'm starting to think I should outsource my sartorial decisions. I'm obviously really crap at dressing myself! :lol: )
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fiona25 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 pm

help6363 wrote:
Fiona25 wrote:All people are doing is giving their opinion on people not dressing for their size or wearing clothes that are too small and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I would have the same reaction to an anorexic person that was very very bony - I don't want to see it!

Yes, this forum is a support network for all of us wanting to lose weigh, regain our lives etc, BUT why should we suddenly not be able to have an opinion on things like this?

I don't believe I made fun of anyone in my post, I just simply stated that I think its tragic that some people don't dress for their size.

IMO it's MORE tragic people FEEL or think they should dress a certain way because of their size.

Have all the opionions you want, I just gave my opinion....it's a FREE world, you have the right to your opinion and people have the right to dress the way they want despite their size

We'll agree to disagree then, each to their own :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby electrongirl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:19 pm

everyone definately has the right to their own opinion.

HOWEVER, it doesn't take much to make that opinion with a little tact.

All I am saying is that be mindful of the people who are going to be reading what you write. Not everyone is going to agree.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Fireball » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:17 am

Fiona25 wrote:I just simply stated that I think its tragic that some people don't dress for their size.
I felt uncomfortable from the start with this thread as fashion is all about what is socially acceptable at the time. It CHANGES!!! Also a person who is confident, especially if they are the "ideal" at the time, can often get away with wearing an outfit that no one else would be game to wear. Women particularly are judged harshly based purely on appearance. This lady in discussion may have been the nicest person in the gym. And who knows what else she is going through at the time. She may have taken 2 years to get the guts up to go in the gym to try to lose weight. She may be broke and someone gave her the outfit so she tried to make the best of it, knowing full well she looked like crap.......
Get to know people and try not to judge based on the superficial.

As for the quote that "it is tragic..."
Tragic is that so many children are starving in third world countries while so many people in developed countries are desperate to lose weight. :(

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:16 am

If it was me that saw her at the gym then I would be *thinking* 'that looks terrible on her, she would look much nicer in the correct size clothing' but there is no way that I would base judgement on what she is wearing on what type of person she would be. I wouldn't say anything too her or give her rude looks, I would simply think my opinion to myself and keep working out.

I'm sure people have thought about me before in bad ways and thought I looked horrible in what I was wearing etc, but hey, thats the risk you take when you step outside your house to the public! Not saying it SHOULD be that way, but it is.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby molligrub » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:06 am

Personally I don't really care what people do or don't wear, but I do think people have a responsibility to dress modestly in public, out of respect for themsevles AND others. I really don't want to see what is under people's clothing, and I'm sure they don't want to see what's under mine. It's not really about dressing for size, it's about modesty and having enough respect for yourself that you want to dress nicely and look decent. And that goes the same for thinner people. I personally think that someone in well-fitting jeans with a nice top that covers the midriff is much more elegant than someone with midriff and cleavage showing until they almost meet!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk